Mantis Shrimp

• SRC Member

I got a spare 1ft tank, would like to keep something exotic like a mantis shrimp in it.

will it try to break the glass? pretty scared of it smashing the glass and water flooding everywhere. :ooh:

what i gather from forums is that they do break acrylic easily but tank glass not tt often.

• SRC Member
I got a spare 1ft tank, would like to keep something exotic like a mantis shrimp in it.

will it try to break the glass? pretty scared of it smashing the glass and water flooding everywhere. :ooh:

what i gather from forums is that they do break acrylic easily but tank glass not tt often.

Ask Phang!

;)

• SRC Member

as far as i know, the shrimp won't strike anything if it isn't provoked. i was thinking of keeping it but i dun believe that it will juz sit there and not strike anything! wahahah i dun trust myself! :look::look: can ask ppl who kept it b4.

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

The mantis shrimps we find in our hobby is overated in terms of their capability to break glass tanks.

I think when they get to that monster size, then it's a worry.

I saw a video of a huge one spearing a fish as it swam by and boy, it was lighting fast. Saw another one it smashed a crab to pieces in two strikes. But they were all huge ones.

• SRC Member

when you buy something like that how do they pack it up for you anyways?

:huh:

I mean..what if they puncture the bag or something? After reading a little on them I get the heebie jeebies just looking at their pictures..

• SRC Member
he he, i was looking for a small one. would this 5plan tank be sufficient to contain it?

actually morgan has a small one. discovered during the Nuke FlatWorm campaign :P he's giving it away, butta dunno still alive or not ... :erm:

• SRC Member

Blue terror,

I have a small 1 ft tank in my office too. I have a small hange-on filter. Tank has one small lionfish and three small pieces of LR. Very nice and easy to keep. I only change water (half) once a month and its been fine for 3 months already. The spines of the lionfish grows very long and nice because no one else to bother it. Just feed it with live or dead fish or shrimps(left over from cooking). You might wanna consider.

I think (marine) therefore I am