Newbie 3 x 2 x 2

The tank should place away from the window to avoid the direct sunlight and tank temperature fluctuations. Anyway it is a nice setup. 

• Like 1

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Hi bro,

Where you bought the top up reservoir tank?

• Like 1

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the kind words. 

I put in fish only about 2-3 months after I started the tank in October 2020. 

Having said that, I think the tank only somewhat matured / stabilised around 5-6 months after starting. 

have managed to overcome algae /diatom issues..now the next goal is to achieve a powdery white sand ....which I somewhat don’t think I can achieve. 

along the way I was tempted with dosing bacteria numerous times...but was always reluctant as I had felt that they were not long term sustainable options. 

one of the reasons why I chose a pillar reef type of scape was to maximise the amount of rock I can place into the tank without making the tank look crowded. I believe one of the most important biological filter mechanisms is via the porous rock. This is evidenced by the numerous 2-3 year old tanks I have visited at other reefers whom sometimes have broken down Skimmers / ats and all they have is simple rocks and pumps running. 

After weeks of reading decided to replace my deltec 1500 to a skimmer that is actually rated for my tank volume (approx 500l with sump). 

Everything was going great with the deltec 1500 until about 1 month ago. Kept overflowing no matter what adjustment I did. After researching a fair bit about oversizing of skimmers (contentious) decided that this could be the reason. 

clearly the deltec 1500 was oversized for my tank vol. however initially with the higher amount of die off / bio load, I managed to tune the skimmer adequately. Now that things are somewhat stable and perhaps the amount of DOC is not sufficient for a constant skim. Well it’s just my theory...let’s see. 

582CA4D8-36E1-440C-99D0-72621F338901.jpeg

EA523A95-685A-4500-AA1C-4F749F40688C.jpeg

4EEA1A05-AC12-4C38-8790-6B42AD9740FF.jpeg