Any advice where to go for a new setup?

• SRC Member
Hi any idea how to drill a fish tank? Any shop can help to drill tank? I would like to make a 2 feet tank with sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drilling isn't difficult as long as the glass is not tempered. Need diamond hole cutting bit. Simply make a good template out of acrylic and secure very well to glass with clamps or strong tape (also a new tip I learnt recently... is to have an acrylic sheet on the back of the glass where you will make the hole to reduce any minor chips). Add a reasonable amount of flowing water (aqua lifter or hose pipe). Sit the drill on the glass via the template and don't press down, just let the drill do all the work. Keep drill stable and flat against the glass. Is actually easy(ish).

Forgot to mention, water a bit cloudy due to addiction of sand in the morning. Also, light is on for the purpose of photo taking only.

Salinity is 1.015 now during cycling phase as per Dr Tim's advice.

Got my tank last week. Cycling now. 20210523_191459.thumb.jpeg.52457ca1d77b61c42b184555c4f256c1.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, Luenny said:

You have sharp eye to catch that. That is 3D printed lamp shade.

Haha it’s probably cos I have been looking at the same setup for the past month.  You are probably using a red sea reef led90?

My wife complained that the light was too strong so I had to lower the intensity.  Won’t the cover block the heat vents of the light?

Also, noticed that you are using a gyre pump.  Heard from some lfs that the flow is too strong so decided to go with two wave makers instead.

I am using AI Hydra 26. The shade just hangs from the side of the lamp and the back is completely open. The back is where the heat sink and fan are.

For gyre I am still trying out. I use the smaller size and put the flow to 30% max. Any higher I can see sand moving around. Will see how it goes.

By back I meant the top of the lamp is open. Only the sides is covered by the shade and there are holes on the sides.

I am using AI Hydra 26. The shade just hangs from the side of the lamp and the back is completely open. The back is where the heat sink and fan are.

For gyre I am still trying out. I use the smaller size and put the flow to 30% max. Any higher I can see sand moving around. Will see how it goes.

IMG-20210417-WA0003.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Short update on my reefing journey. Tank is cycled and is currently entering ugly phase now with brownish spots on the glass and sandbed as well as filter sock. Not a big deal, let nature take its course.

First livestocks I put in is an anemone from Rob and a few free zoas from him too. The zoas unfortunately did not do well under my care. They shrink up due to too much light. Moved them under some shade and they are opening up again. Now in the process of getting them to brighter place to get their colour back.

First picture is when I got it. Second one is after a few days in my tank. Third one is now, about 2 weeks later. Still a long learning process for me. 065d766873d9c2b41b5e15440302f8de.jpg083f35f6aa5b7557cb0e91ac1ebd189e.jpg94c550910e91feced9116641e1b550c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

The journey to keeping anemone is also eventful. First day, the anemone stay on top of the rock where I placed it. Then second day decided to hide in a tunnel. I was worried it would just shrink up and disappear. However third day it came out when light is on and went back into the tunnel when light is off. This went on for about 2 weeks. It was getting bigger at the meantime even though I only fed it once.

Then one day it decided not to come out. I got worried again. But who knows, by night time, before the light went off, 2 baby anemones came out. Here are some pictures. 059029d2ff5f460b0d88115d22997580.jpg8e293e81dfca5535b365989e5965f8c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk