Need Recommendation: Chiller & Doser

Currently running a 10G nano tank with a fan to cool the tank down. I need some recommendations for a chiller that is suitable for a nano tank and also something reliable. 

For doser I’m not really sure what I should be looking for can anyone assist with recommending a brand?

thank you.

I don't see the point in dosing nano tanks under 10g. If your salt mix is good, regular weekly water changes are more then enough to replenish the major and trace elements.

If you do want to dose, I recommend you save your money and get a pipette, far cheaper and you can dose after a water change. 

As for chiller, Maybe one of those Chinese mini chillers that shrimp keepers use. Got many models, but can look something like this.Screenshot_20210408-093242_Carousell.jpg.08b76329294b6aec26ed5fb17c3a13a7.jpg

• Like 1

@PulposTriste Thank you for assisting. Yes I do keep up with the water change for my nano tank. I’ll reconsider the doser.

For the chiller, like the one you’ve mentioned above. Are they reliable? 

I was considering the Hailea 28a, do you think this is too much for a nano tank?

Edited by AlBukhary

1 hour ago, Darrance Koh said:

Can consider HK 150A if space allow.
I use it for my 50litres nano preciously. Now upgrade to 170litres and still can continue to use.

Can save money if you want to upgrade one day

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thank you for your help @Darrance Kohappreciate the input.:drunk:

I agree with darrance, if you really want to get into this hobby, you're gonna save quite a bit of money in the long run if you get a proper/bigger chiller.

If you are just trying out, a fan/cheap shrimp nano chiller would be far more friendly on the wallet.

Those nano chillers are normally thermoelectric, not a lot of moving parts for it to really break, just make sure to get from a good seller.

Without chiller or fan also can, just keep your tank in a cool shaded area, and don't let temp spike above 28°C. I've kept a 10 Gal without chiller for a long time without much issue (keeping mainly soft coral and easy LPS/SPS). But ofc if you plan to keep anemone and other sensitive SPS, chiller is strongly recommended.

1 hour ago, Darrance Koh said:

Can consider HK 150A if space allow.
I use it for my 50litres nano preciously. Now upgrade to 170litres and still can continue to use.

Can save money if you want to upgrade one day

Hailea is a good, reliable and cheap brand, lots of users in SG. As darrance had said, try to get the newer HK model if space/budget permits as its much quieter/efficient.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the exact same chinese chiller in the picture above and also switched to hailea 28a few months after, ran both on my old 10 gallon nano. One thing I noticed was that the chinese chiller ran for longer periods of time as it took longer to reach the temperature set. Now I've upgraded to a 40 gallon and still continued using the same hailea chiller.

TLDR; hailea is a great option if you do have plans to upgrade in near future :)

• Like 2

• SRC Member
I have used the exact same chinese chiller in the picture above and also switched to hailea 28a few months after, ran both on my old 10 gallon nano. One thing I noticed was that the chinese chiller ran for longer periods of time as it took longer to reach the temperature set. Now I've upgraded to a 40 gallon and still continued using the same hailea chiller.

TLDR; hailea is a great option if you do have plans to upgrade in near future

Hailea is also chinese brand haha, just more “atas” chinese brand. they got brand reputation to protect so products will be better built compared to ulu TB chiller.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would like to thank everyone again foe their input i know this is an ols post but after getting chiller everything seems so much better and much more stable. Heres a quick update on my nano tank.

Most of the corals closed up because i dimmed the lights already.

20210623_014547.jpg

Edited by AlBukhary
  • Like 1

• SRC Member

The Chinese chillers are based on TEM chilling as opposed to proper chillers that use refrigeration fluid so they’re a lot more reliable. Switched over to a Hailea from the AL60 and never looked back!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ReefBub95 said:

The Chinese chillers are based on TEM chilling as opposed to proper chillers that use refrigeration fluid so they’re a lot more reliable. Switched over to a Hailea from the AL60 and never looked back!

Yeah i did some research on them decided to go for the Hailea 28A and I'm loving it.

• Like 1