Cheap alternative to anemones

Chromodoris

I am keeping a pair of clownfish in my tank, it is a new system and not very willing to try anemone as I am afraid it will get sucked into powerhead. Does anyone have any recommended alternative corals that my clownfish can host in? Preferably cheap and easier to keep than anemone :)

Now at night my clownfish just sleep in the upper corner of the tank near my algae scraper, but I don't feel its right for them long-term, donno whether their sleep will be disturbed by lights in the room that are on until 2-3am . 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Thanks all the excellent suggestions. My main worry is that RBTA will move around the tank and might get into the wave pump, etc. Anyone had experience with this?

bta definitely have the ability to move around more at first but they do settle down once they find a spot they like. you’ll need to anemone-proof your power head or wave maker intakes to eliminate/reduce big holes or strong suction spots.

carpets usually/mostly stay on the bottom and don’t tend to move around as quickly or as much so they’re more predictable in that way.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
On 11/16/2021 at 6:04 PM, Chromodoris said:

Thanks all the excellent suggestions. My main worry is that RBTA will move around the tank and might get into the wave pump, etc. Anyone had experience with this?

Most wavemakers come with protector to prevent this exactly and I advise NOT to take any chances. Put aside the anemone dying, your tank will be in a very bad state if your wavemaker shred the anemone in the tank.