Planning to do a 45cm cube with sump for my office ,need some advice.

Used to run a 150cm mixed reef few years back and after a long hiatus, decided to set up a 45cm  cube in my office.

Tank Spec will be

Display: 45cm x 45cm x 45cm

Sump:  40cm x 40cm x 30cm

Total Water volume= roughly 140l

Filtration

Rock: CaribSea Liferock Shape 10kg

Skimmer: Bubble Magus curve 5

Mechanical Filtration: Standard filter sock

Chemical Media: Chemi Pure Blue.

Accesorries

Chiller: Hailea HS 28-a

Wave Pump: Jebao SLW 10

Planning to keep around 4 small sized fishes, softies and LPS. Not planning to do SPS( can't manage all the hassles to keep them in my office) as for now, but who knows? might do 1 or 2 small frags. 

Need advise on 

1. Return Pump

It will be connected to a Hailea HS28-a from the sump, thinking of using 2000l/hr capacity AC pump from the total volume of my tank, but unsure if it's gonna work. need a suggestion.

2.Lighting

I currently have AI Hydra 52 HD used on my previous tank sleeping in my store room, and planning to use that. But i'm concerned that it might be an over kill for a size of my tank.  Is it fine to run 52HD on such a small tank or I should get a new light?  Really want to utilize what I have now

Bro/Sis out there, please enlighten me on above 2 topics and of course, any other suggestions are appreciated as well. Cheers! =)

• SRC Member

Return pumps: For the return pump just make sure that you get one with enough head pressure to not only pump sufficiently through to your chiller, but also up to the tank, and to service any manifold (from which you can plumb a reactor to it) I would suggest an ecotech S2. If cost is an issue then get a smaller pump like nyos viper 3.0.

Your light will do nicely. Just raise it up higher off the waters surface (12 inches or more). Your light will give you a more blanket light effect which will avoid shadows.. so is actually beneficial. However, such a large light may (will) produce some 'light spill' over the edge of the nano tank. If you dont like that, then with a little diy you can make rather nice shade with some cut acrylic with a built in diffuser and it wouldn't cost much more then 20 bucks (happy to guide you on that)

Keep us posted on your build. Sounds good.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

On 4/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, R0B said:

Return pumps: For the return pump just make sure that you get one with enough head pressure to not only pump sufficiently through to your chiller, but also up to the tank, and to service any manifold (from which you can plumb a reactor to it) I would suggest an ecotech S2. If cost is an issue then get a smaller pump like nyos viper 3.0.

Your light will do nicely. Just raise it up higher off the waters surface (12 inches or more). Your light will give you a more blanket light effect which will avoid shadows.. so is actually beneficial. However, such a large light may (will) produce some 'light spill' over the edge of the nano tank. If you dont like that, then with a little diy you can make rather nice shade with some cut acrylic with a built in diffuser and it wouldn't cost much more then 20 bucks (happy to guide you on that)

Keep us posted on your build. Sounds good.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

thx for your advice.

decided to mount my 52hd with AI ext rail  ,15 inches above the tank, would love to hear from you about the DIY diffuser. heard from my friend SLW10s flow is way too strong for 45cm cube, so going to drop that and add innovative marine spin stream nozzle instead. Since the nozzle will reduce the flow dramatically, going to run with Jebao DCP-5000, hope 5000lph will be sufficient to circulatethrough chiller and the spin stream nozzle.

My tank will be arriving on 2~5may so i still have time to make amendments but now i have another problem,  gotta convince my boss not to keep a blue tang in the tank.

He wants to keep a pair of clown and a blue tang , but i'm very reluctant to keep a blue tang in 45cm cube.  "45 cm cube isn't big enough for a [dory] to live "  didn't work out, so gotta find another reason.

He's also interested with keeping corals so perhaps I could say stuff like Blue Tang's gonna eat all the corals to convince him? ( i know they usually don't, but on very rare occasion, they do)

Edited by KamikazeReef

• 1 month later...

Update.

Tank is been running for a month and starting to stock slowly. Thanks to all the reefers out there for helping me with the equipment selection and advice. 

Should i lower my light? Its currently sitting at 44cm above the tank because i was concerned that 52HD is too large for a nano and would eventually burn everything in the tank, but now i have the other concern that there wont be sufficient light for the corals placed in middle~ low section. 

20210610_160004.jpg

20210610_160012.jpg

20210610_155945.jpg

Anyone know of a service to borrow  a PAR meter? Tinkered abit with lighting output to ensure they aren't burning stuff.

But as im slowly stocking up with corals, want to measure PAR just to take a weight off my shoulders .so far i have some zoas and LPS and they seems to do be doing well.

Edited by KamikazeReef