Newbie marine tank

Validator

• SRC Member

Thanks Luenny and Mhcraft!  I am just starting out so still finding my way.  Feeding video because a colleague at office asked for it.  Not sure why the fish prefer to hang around the side closer to the window.  Loud dog barking midway through the video warning.  Yeah the wife has a poodle who challenges anyone who goes past to a fight.

• SRC Member

Today should be water test day but will need the family members to be around to see the colors.  

Dory the blue tang is a little anal about timings and will only come out when my day cycle light comes on.  Otherwise he will be in hiding.  Turns out Blue tangs are like that.  I hope he is able to grab some bites of the food.  

I also got a shock to find the shell of my skunk cleaner.  I thought it had up lorry over the night.  Turns out it just molted.  

Today I hope to be able to meet a kind reefer for a donation of chaeto.  My skimmer is still a mystery.  Thanks to the patience of another reefer whom I regularly update and he gives advice.

2A34957D-6C9D-4D59-B30E-9EB55DEAF975.jpeg

95110ED8-B08E-43F4-B6C6-C37C901C3198.jpeg

• SRC Member

Latest water test. Now also testing for phosphate.  Have added the chaeto from a kind reefer, will see if there is any change after the night cycle starts.  Skimmer seems to be working but still skimming some water.  Hoping I am in the right direction. Salinity seems to have dropped, would this be something I should be concerned about?

03D1D430-345B-43BF-B743-96C90F9C154A.jpeg

3E34DECB-406C-4DC1-A7FF-175077FF3468.jpeg

• SRC Member

Water test again to see how the water is doing.  Chaeto didn’t have much effect probably because I only switched on the fuge light from 2 am to 6 am.  Tonight I will likely do the whole night cycle.

E3829394-A50A-4F80-B4E2-179DA05616AC.jpeg

64F6B77E-96D5-4977-A39A-BF5C827D85C8.jpeg

• SRC Member

A little worried for this guy.  He is very small and it is hard to tell if he is skinny or fat because of the way blue tangs look.  Sometimes observe him chasing food but not sure if he manages to eat.

CB1D6F23-7964-43BF-8917-1980688A4CC9.jpeg

• SRC Member

Some bad news today after the loss of the baby blue tang, I found my tang on its side this morning.  I did a water test which I will share later but for this post just the fish.  I know that it had some confrontations with the cleaner shrimp but not sure if these injuries near the eye are sufficient proof that to suspect the shrimp is responsible.   Blue tang was also hanging around some of the rock work and the shrimp has been more adventurous these days.  This fish would hide in the cave most of the time for the past day.

14FFBB04-407F-415C-A1CF-84A3E35EC5CD.jpeg

• SRC Member

A water test after a few fish losses.  I lost a starfish and a turbo snail.  A sand sifting goby I got seems to have disappeared after two days of vigorous digging.  Nitrate seems to be on the high side and I also started testing for KH and calcium. My salinity went down a bit so I did a small water change as well and it went up to 1.023

31F535AC-1D2C-4E27-949C-3373FA3BC0C0.jpeg

0E8B7AAA-FE88-489C-9B86-EF0D24E601CD.jpeg

• SRC Member

Got a royal gramma which managed to survive so far.  Hope it continues to maintain.  Love it because of its personality and how it moved around the tank.  When in the acclimating container he wanted to fight with my pipette.

945604AA-8FC4-4C3C-A280-57DEC4D868B9.jpeg