3-feet Shallow Reef Tank

slapper

I’m starting a new 3 feet shallow reef tank from scratch. Will customise the entire setup, down to the sump. The accessories I’m using are 

1. Crystal glass tank 90x30x30cm

2. Eshopps PF Nano Overflow box

3. Eshopps ADV-100 Sump tank 

4. Eshopps S-120 Skimmer

5. Maxspect Jump MJ-GF2K Gyre Flow Pump

6. AI Hydra 64HD

7. Jebao MDC-3500 return pump

8. Custom designed cabinet 

B852E6F5-A96A-4AB8-BBF1-9A6038124032.jpeg

DCE1513E-6BFF-46C2-B416-A658052BC8D5.jpeg

My Tank Journey

Nice scape!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

1 hour ago, Admiraltian said:

Nice scape!

Thanks Admiraltian. 90x30x30 setups are so rare, compared to the 90x45x45 alternative. But the former dimensions gives a better aesthetic feel.

My Tank Journey

2 hours ago, slapper said:

Thanks Admiraltian. 90x30x30 setups are so rare, compared to the 90x45x45 alternative. But the former dimensions gives a better aesthetic feel.

Yes, it will be quite shallow. Need to make sure ur rockscape with corals’ height clearance when submerged in water.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Nice scape, I too have a 3ft low profile tank 90cm long 38 wide and 33cm. 

I only have 3 main big piece rock so water flow won't get congested. I find that with a 3ft low tank, getting enough flow can be a problem. But so far so good. 

IMG_20210416_180216.jpg

10 hours ago, Awiee said:

Nice scape, I too have a 3ft low profile tank 90cm long 38 wide and 33cm. 

I only have 3 main big piece rock so water flow won't get congested. I find that with a 3ft low tank, getting enough flow can be a problem. But so far so good. 

IMG_20210416_180216.jpg

Oh this is a nice dimension. U custom make your tank?

My Tank Journey

16 hours ago, Admiraltian said:

Yes, it will be quite shallow. Need to make sure ur rockscape with corals’ height clearance when submerged in water.

Yup fully submerged.

02240A7D-DED2-44F5-9CB3-C12D0022C788.jpeg

0FC9DEF7-1AD6-4015-A441-063C266739FF.jpeg

My Tank Journey

I also have a 3x1x1 as well. From the pics, it seems that your tank is store bought like the one that C328 sells. I may be wrong.

But those tanks are of 6mm thick glass, which may not be safe for saltwater. Better to go with minimum 8mm thick crystal glass. You will not regret it.

You will also need 2 hydras. One lightset is not sufficient for a good amount of spread.

22 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

I also have a 3x1x1 as well. From the pics, it seems that your tank is store bought like the one that C328 sells. I may be wrong.

But those tanks are of 6mm thick glass, which may not be safe for saltwater. Better to go with minimum 8mm thick crystal glass. You will not regret it.

You will also need 2 hydras. One lightset is not sufficient for a good amount of spread.

The tank I bought is ANS 8mm crystal glass. Got it for only $130. 

2 Hydras 64HD may be an overkill. Will see if it’s necessary before upgrading. Cos it may cause too much lights spillage.

My Tank Journey

22 hours ago, Awiee said:

Nah not custom, this one is the IM fusion 30L, great ios tank

Icic! What’s the dimension without the IOS? Quite hard to find this brand in Singapore.

My Tank Journey

6 hours ago, slapper said:

Icic! What’s the dimension without the IOS? Quite hard to find this brand in Singapore.

The whole thing is 90x38x33 ,excluding ios my display only 90x27x33, the back part took 1/3 of the space haha

13 hours ago, Awiee said:

The whole thing is 90x38x33 ,excluding ios my display only 90x27x33, the back part took 1/3 of the space haha

Wow that’s a lot of space taken up. So the display volume is only 20G. The remaining 10G goes to the IOS hehe

My Tank Journey

On 5/18/2021 at 3:39 PM, CalvinKlein said:

I have measure the thickness and to my horror it is indeed 5mm, although marketed as 8mm crystal glass. Have returned to the shop already, and managed to source for another 8mm. Thanks for the heads up!

My Tank Journey

3 hours ago, slapper said:

I have measure the thickness and to my horror it is indeed 5mm, although marketed as 8mm crystal glass. Have returned to the shop already, and managed to source for another 8mm. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem. It would be disasterous had you used that tank. I got mine customed made for the same price though, 4 sides crystal glass with predrilled holes.

Like what Awiee shared, I'm also facing flow issues due to the low height. My sps get battered midway up and its hard to find the right balance of good flow over dead spots. Im also going with the 2 rock structures concept. 

2 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

No problem. It would be disasterous had you used that tank. I got mine customed made for the same price though, 4 sides crystal glass with predrilled holes.

Like what Awiee shared, I'm also facing flow issues due to the low height. My sps get battered midway up and its hard to find the right balance of good flow over dead spots. Im also going with the 2 rock structures concept. 

ahaha for low profile tanks, less is more, less rock = more space for coral growth+ more flow to other areas. Im thinking of getting another wave maker at the other end once i remove the egg crates. using the jebao slw20 at 40% currently

3 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Any pix of your tank? Heavy flow can be a problem so hopefully the Gyre at 20% operation wouldnt create too much impact.

My Tank Journey

oh btw, im just curious, since this is a low profile tank thread, how high do you guys hang ur light above water level? i currently using 2x ai primes HD with 25cm above

2 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Heres my pic. Still have much to improve. Currently running 2xSLW20 and 1 SLW30M at 70%.

2021-05-20 19.36.44.jpg

It is well stocked! So many fishes... looks impressive.

My Tank Journey

1 hour ago, Awiee said:

oh btw, im just curious, since this is a low profile tank thread, how high do you guys hang ur light above water level? i currently using 2x ai primes HD with 25cm above

Since I’m using one 64HD hydra, I’ll have to adjust it such that sufficient light can reach both corners of the tank. But at the same time don’t wanna have too much light spillage. Will only know once my setup is complete.

My Tank Journey

4 hours ago, slapper said:

Since I’m using one 64HD hydra, I’ll have to adjust it such that sufficient light can reach both corners of the tank. But at the same time don’t wanna have too much light spillage. Will only know once my setup is complete.

I have my lights about 20cm above the water surface. You will need two light sets to get an even spread. If you plan to keep just soft corals and LPS, I think one hydra would be sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...