3-feet Shallow Reef Tank

slapper

Thanks @Roychan This is a straightforward open loop sump system. There is no failover for this system. If the return pump should fail, a HOB filter will be used as failover until the pump is replaced, which should suffice for a tank of this size. I came across a few posts of impressive tank setups, involving home renovations (e.g. drilling’s, hacking walls etc.), myriad of equipment and accessories. Very daunting but great learning experience if you are committing yourself to this hobby for life. Yes it has to be for as long as you live if you wanna put that much effort and resources into it. Otherwise don’t bother. On the other hand, my setup is great for one who wishes to have a proper reef tank, understand and experience the basics of a open loop sump system,  yet do not wish to over commit in this hobby. :D

My Tank Journey

Yeah agreed. Had a few mini scares when I started out last year too e.g. water overflow from dirty filter, flatworms, ich, water pipes loose, programming alkatronic and dosetronic etc.
Too much for starters on this hobby. Hahaha. Also learning along the way. Trying to maintain a tiny conducive ecosystem for marine livestock to thrive and hopefully make a few like-minded friends too.
Cheers buddy.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Marvel theme corals on the way?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

11 hours ago, alanchin88 said:

Bro, 

Can check with you where you bought the white box for the wire management? Thank you.

hi bro. U may order from Lazada. It’s local so it takes about 3 days to arrive. Three sizes to choose from. I bought the M size.

My Tank Journey

On 6/16/2021 at 12:41 PM, equiox said:

Nice! So for 90 x 30 x 30 8mm, how much did u paid for the tank? 

Does the Eshopp overflow box has a hole which u can suck out the air bubble? 

Hello @equinox. The tank is $280. Kinda pricey but it’s not easy to find a tank of this size and thickness. If u can live with 6mm, u save about $100.

The eshopps overflow box comes with an air tubing to manually suck out the air. Yes it is possible to suck out all the air. After that jus make sure u don’t remove the U tube else u will need to prime again.

My Tank Journey

8 hours ago, CalvinKlein said:

Great to see your tank running at last!

Is that oyama sticker around the edge of the tank? 

Looking forward to seeing your tank filled up. Btw, where did you get your SPS frags from?

Hello @CalvinKlein

Yes I pasted the oyama stickers around the edges to create the effect of a rimmed tank. SPS frags are from Kelvin :)

My Tank Journey

Was doing water change this morning and all pumps were switched off. Noticed how tranquil the tank has become. Can’t resist and picked up my camera to take a few shots. Pls enjoy.

FB39CB44-8E9A-4256-84AE-3A49E626A449.jpeg

4EB85F77-63CD-47B9-A78C-0129560FBBED.jpeg

FB6681D5-5ECD-487A-A57A-70A7A6AF850F.jpeg

BDBC0CC9-BD39-443B-8A88-7EF4EB9EC10F.jpeg

B23C952A-4BDC-4419-9A46-6FB84336CE81.jpeg

• Like 1

My Tank Journey

It has been 1.5 months since I made the decision to setup a 3 feet shallow reef tank. Thus far I am quite satisfied with the progress made. The tank is filling up faster than I wanted it to be. Bioload is still within threshold as there are no fishes in the tank, only corals and cleaning crew. I’m confident that as time progresses, the corals will grow well into the scape and the tank should look even more established. Awaiting with much excitement and anticipation.

7981A8C6-988A-4803-B2A5-C84A08E13F4C.jpeg.45d62cfa06c095f03841d4136b9527d7.jpeg

My Tank Journey