All for reef experience

Mdsalman

• SRC Member

I’m using it too my calcium is on high side.
But maybe my ro supply the bottle is from dialysis bottle which contains calcium magnesium and all elements ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Same here. My kH and calcium went so high. My kH went to 14plus when I notice. Stopped using it now.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

When I first use for 1 week my kh and calcium high.... then I stop for 1 week then after that I buy sps 5 type and put in then kh drop to 5 plus the. I restart back like 5 mls every night then it stable at 8-9 dkh then I drop my dose to 2 mls every night then it’s stay at 8-9 till now

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Nice!! How was calcium during this period. Huge drop like kh?

When I first use for 1 week my kh and calcium high.... then I stop for 1 week then after that I buy sps 5 type and put in then kh drop to 5 plus the. I restart back like 5 mls every night then it stable at 8-9 dkh then I drop my dose to 2 mls every night then it’s stay at 8-9 till now

• SRC Member

Anyone used all for reef? I just started the coral QT and using all for reef.

The calcium seems to be pretty low but kh and mg are pretty high.

From what I know is all 3 should be equally increasing when using this product

Why do you need to dose in a coral qt?

• SRC Member

If your coral does not grow much,  and you dose too much of any supplements,  you will run into Kh Ca and Mg problems.  

All for reef is an easy to use product. Once you dial in your dosing,  you can keep Kh within a very narrow range. 

The product is not the issue,  the amount added is. 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

So are you saying adding too much of all for reef is imbalancing the rate at which kh ca and mg are increasing?
Because the kh and mg are increasing just fine but ca is not

If your coral does not grow much,  and you dose too much of any supplements,  you will run into Kh Ca and Mg problems.  
All for reef is an easy to use product. Once you dial in your dosing,  you can keep Kh within a very narrow range. 
The product is not the issue,  the amount added is. 

• SRC Member

I wouldnt use the word imbalance. 

It's just a matter of what you adds in and what the coral is using.  

What are your existing values anyways?  And what is the level you are aiming for? 

When we use a dosing product,  actually our main purpose is to maintain the level.  When it comes to balanced dosing product like all for reef,  you can't really adjust one up,  while leave the rest unchanged. 

• SRC Member
I qt corals for 76 days. So, it is needed.
I know 76 days is a lot and many don't do it. But I prefer playing it safe

My question was not about whether you should qt or not. Why do you need to dose?

Do you know what your daily Alk consumption is in dkh? If you dont know the answer you should not be dosing anything.

Your fresh salt water mix at whatever salinity you desire ( say 1.026) should already provide adequate Alk, ca and mg levels. Lets say you use the red sea blue bucket salt - at 1.026, your alk should be around 8.5, ca around 420 and mg around 1350.

Now if your daily tank dkh consumption is .2 dkh, then your Alk will fall from 8.5 to 8.3. So you add all for reef to make up for that deficit And keep it at 8.5. You should not be dosing to increase Alk from 8.5 to 8.7.

Corals like parameters to be stable - consistently at the same levels and thats why you should dose to keep them at the same level. Not to icrease them.

So unless you know what your daily Alk consumption is , do not dose anything.

• SRC Member

That's a valid point. However when I tested the water, the kh was pretty low. So to bring that up, I added all for reef.

But do you suggest keeping the kh same(low) if it is not reducing?

My question was not about whether you should qt or not. Why do you need to dose?

Do you know what your daily Alk consumption is in dkh? If you dont know the answer you should not be dosing anything.

Your fresh salt water mix at whatever salinity you desire ( say 1.026) should already provide adequate Alk, ca and mg levels. Lets say you use the red sea blue bucket salt - at 1.026, your alk should be around 8.5, ca around 420 and mg around 1350.

Now if your daily tank dkh consumption is .2 dkh, then your Alk will fall from 8.5 to 8.3. So you add all for reef to make up for that deficit And keep it at 8.5. You should not be dosing to increase Alk from 8.5 to 8.7.

Corals like parameters to be stable - consistently at the same levels and thats why you should dose to keep them at the same level. Not to icrease them.

So unless you know what your daily Alk consumption is , do not dose anything.

• SRC Member
That's a valid point. However when I tested the water, the kh was pretty low. So to bring that up, I added all for reef.

But do you suggest keeping the kh same(low) if it is not reducing?

What is pretty low? What is your current KH value?
Yes test on the same time on consecutive days without any dosing to find out your daily Alk consumption.

• SRC Member

Kh was less than 7 if I remember it right.
But as you said. Let me monitor this without dosing and see if its needed.

Thanks

What is pretty low? What is your current KH value?
Yes test on the same time on consecutive days without any dosing to find out your daily Alk consumption.

• SRC Member

I was just thinking about only doing a water change and not dosing anything and if I am right, this will bring the elements to lower level slowly.

Example, let's say water is 100L and all elements is about 100 - just for easy calculation.

After a week, the elements go to 90 and I do a water change 50% again for easy calculation.

Now the old elements at 90 and new elements at 100 will average out to 95.

So after a week and doing a water change the elements came down from 100 to 95.

Of course in reality, this will be pretty slow but eventually it will add up, so a dosing will eventually require.

What do you think?

• SRC Member
I was just thinking about only doing a water change and not dosing anything and if I am right, this will bring the elements to lower level slowly.

Example, let's say water is 100L and all elements is about 100 - just for easy calculation.

After a week, the elements go to 90 and I do a water change 50% again for easy calculation.

Now the old elements at 90 and new elements at 100 will average out to 95.

So after a week and doing a water change the elements came down from 100 to 95.

Of course in reality, this will be pretty slow but eventually it will add up, so a dosing will eventually require.

What do you think?

Yes test for Alk usage for a week ( assuming weekly water change) If levels fall more than 0.5 dkh then think about dosing.