Putting Phytoplankton in ATO?

I'm looking at auto-dosing liquid preserved phytoplankton (like SeaChem Reef Phytoplankton or Brightwell Aquatics PhytoGreen). I've read that this is usually done with buying a dosing pump. However, I'm wondering if there's any reason why I can't just put the phytoplankton directly into my auto top off reservoir?

I realize that the phytoplankton might separate, so probably I would need a small pump in the auto top off to keep it mixed well. I also realize that it would be bad if bacteria started growing in my auto top off, feeding off the phytoplankton. But, as my reservoir has RO filtered water with 0 TDS and the phytoplankton has some preservatives, is it likely?

• SRC Member
I'm looking at auto-dosing liquid preserved phytoplankton (like SeaChem Reef Phytoplankton or Brightwell Aquatics PhytoGreen). I've read that this is usually done with buying a dosing pump. However, I'm wondering if there's any reason why I can't just put the phytoplankton directly into my auto top off reservoir?
I realize that the phytoplankton might separate, so probably I would need a small pump in the auto top off to keep it mixed well. I also realize that it would be bad if bacteria started growing in my auto top off, feeding off the phytoplankton. But, as my reservoir has RO filtered water with 0 TDS and the phytoplankton has some preservatives, is it likely?

Probably will not recommend putting anything in ATO, these are dead phyto, sure there is preservatives but once u drop inside ATO the preservatives likely is very much diluted unlike being kept in the bottle. Most likely will foul ur ATO water. Just manual dose, i dont think even if u miss 1 or 2 feedings ur corals will not mind.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
  • Like 1

OK, thanks for your answer. So then, what would happen if I put a UV sterilizer in my ATO? Would the water still go bad? It's just that it looks to me that a UV sterilizer and a small pump for circulation cost less than a doser.

• SRC Member
OK, thanks for your answer. So then, what would happen if I put a UV sterilizer in my ATO? Would the water still go bad? It's just that it looks to me that a UV sterilizer and a small pump for circulation cost less than a doser.

All marine phyto are grown and sold in saline water. So dosing using ATO will increase salinity and defeat the very purpose of an ATO.
If you want to dose get a cheap doser.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I didn't know that the phytoplankton products would raise salinity. Although I have to ask. If I'm dosing with a doser or by adding into an ATO, isn't the rise in salinity the same? I mean, in the end I'm going to put the same bottle of liquid phytoplankton into my tank.

• SRC Member
That's interesting. I didn't know that the phytoplankton products would raise salinity. Although I have to ask. If I'm dosing with a doser or by adding into an ATO, isn't the rise in salinity the same? I mean, in the end I'm going to put the same bottle of liquid phytoplankton into my tank.

No its not the same.
You dont have control over how much phyto you dose with an ato. It just depends on your rate of evaopration. On a hot day you dose more etc. dilution of that one bottle again depends on the size of your ato reservoir.

With a doser you chose to dose 5 ml everyday for example...

• Like 1

OK; sure, I understand that the dosing rate will not be very consistent. Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, I read on the SeaChem website that their Reef Phytoplankton has a specific gravity between 1.0 to 1.1, but they don't say exactly what the salt content is. What I found more worrying is that it has a pH of 3.5 to 4.0.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
OK; sure, I understand that the dosing rate will not be very consistent. Thanks for your help.
Incidentally, I read on the SeaChem website that their Reef Phytoplankton has a specific gravity between 1.0 to 1.1, but they don't say exactly what the salt content is. What I found more worrying is that it has a pH of 3.5 to 4.0.

You only need to add small quantities everyday and you should be fine. Then the salinity or ph dont affect given overall water volume.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Just note not to target feed, i saw on youtube before a guy target feed this seachem phyto and corals up lorry. He always broadcast feed no issue and think it was xmas or thanksgiving he wan to give corals a treat end up up lorry the coral.

• Like 2