Brightwell No3 cubes

Rashid

• SRC Member

Hi everyone! This my first post to kick start even though I've been a member for awhile now.

So I've been struggling with high nitrate levels since the beginning of my reefing journey as I'm quite lazy for water changes and have always kept LPS and softies. But recently my school of fishes died after i cleaned out my sump which has sand bed and all sorts. After which i decided to go for more SPS corals since i got only 1 fish left (blue tang).

My tank is 4 x 2 x 2.5ft so rescaping has been a pain but I'm always happy with how my fishes can swim freely. After 3 round of 30% water change using Redsea Coral Pro Salt. My nitrate is still between 25-50ppm as I'm using Salifert test kit.

I read about use of the Brightwell block to cultivate and my bacteria but seems like its always out of stock. So i decided to try Brightwell NO3 cubes instead. I just got my hands on them today, will start it's soaking tonight and put them in tomorrow. Let hope for the best.

Do let me know if you guys have used this product before and any tips and tricks you have. Appreciate it alot

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

So an update today

It's been 2 weeks since the introduction of the Brightwell No3 cubes. I didnt do any water changes to see if nitrate levels came down but sadly it wasnt drastic as what i had hoped.

So past few days i have been doing nitrate test and phosphate test every 3 says. Nitrate has been steady at 25ppm using salifert test kit.

I added additional 250ml if Brightwell No3 cubes to see if things will improve. Lets see how things goes. Will update in another 2 weeks to see how things goes.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 1 month later...

I have tried Orca, back then was polyplabs like 10yrs ago, then Sharks, then now Orca. 

While they are good at bringing down nitrates im 2weeks. It needs a strong air pump, get those meant for pond. Works better. Otherwise normal air pump cant support the requirement and u will likely end up wasting ur nitracubes. 

Please note orca can cause some cyanobacteria. This is especially true when ur no3 reach a certain level with ur po4. 

Since u are investing so much and planning to go sps, please get hanna checker for po4. 

Also, i noticed that my no3 dropped from 10+ to 2ppm after using zeomix in a reactor/fluidized resin filter. Can try that.