Ideas for Ghost Ribbon Eel Hideout

Matilda

Hello! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can upgrade my ribbon eel's hideout spot? He's starting to get more comfortable around people so im thinking of upgrading its hideout! Feel free to share videos/pics of your eel hideouts as well! :) 

I've attached a cool video of him eating a half a silverside if anyone's interested!! 

3 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Very nice eel. How often do you feed it?

Do share more pics :)

I feed it a piece of silverside every other day! This guy has been with me for about 3 weeks now and it took him awhile to start eating so i try to feed less but more often to get him comfortable with people!! 

I actually added in some freshwater mollies in a bid to get him to hunt and eat awhile back but he didnt find any interest in them!! still have one molly swimming around somewhere in my tank... 

Here's one of the nicer pics I have of him! (sorry for the blues I didnt have a lens filter on!) 

IMG_4103.jpg.a8430c87ec8f965be737bbe189d1edb0.jpg

• SRC Member

I have one of this too.... It does hunt but it do need the freshwater mollies to be very small.

I typically buy a bag of 10 or 20 mollies, normally the smaller ones will be gone in a week or two. I saw it hunt and swallow one personally. But it left the bigger ones untouched. I got 2 that become good algae cleaner of my glass haha

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I have one of this too.... It does hunt but it do need the freshwater mollies to be very small.

I typically buy a bag of 10 or 20 mollies, normally the smaller ones will be gone in a week or two. I saw it hunt and swallow one personally. But it left the bigger ones untouched. I got 2 that become good algae cleaner of my glass haha

Oooh!! How did you get him to hunt mollies? Did you just throw them into the tank? Hahaha and post a pic of your eel! :)

There u go haha. It normally hide behind my rocks where I have my torch garden n hunt unsuspectign mollies or will be under my this coral lolIMG_20210322_172624.thumb.jpeg.bf0f84bdac008b5409fe21df534a560c.jpeg

Ooooh!! That’s a rlly nice eel!! Does it have any pipes or anything to hide in? Or does it just hang out around your rocks?

• SRC Member

I have a network of caves at the right side abt 1ft wide. My eel will hide there.

At night will come out n swim ard.

Normally, I will only put the freshwater mollies at night. I will start drip salt water from about 5pm till abt 10pm.... Den realise them at 1 go at night. IMG_20210621_152048.jpeg

I have a network of caves at the right side abt 1ft wide. My eel will hide there.

At night will come out n swim ard.

Normally, I will only put the freshwater mollies at night. I will start drip salt water from about 5pm till abt 10pm.... Den realise them at 1 go at night. IMG_20210621_152048.thumb.jpeg.2a8b73024a366ad413aad727f05b7140.jpeg

Wow nice tank! Maybe I should add more rocks as caves too! The pipe abit ugly and that’s a lot of effort to drip the mollies HAHA I just dumped like 3 into the salt water and somehow they survived!!

Thanks for sharing with me by the way!

Yea. Drip them slowly more will survive and those that out grow the eel mouth will become good algae eaters on the glass.

Ooooh that’s true! Have you had the saltwater mollies breed in your tank? I’ve heard that they actually reproduce faster in a saltwater tank HAHA

Yup they did, some when down the sump through my overflow. But most end up as food for my eel n fishes

Ooh that’s true!

I just fed my eel a molly with my tongs!! The molly actually escaped and the eel was like frantically poking at the wrong places around the molly trying to find it I guess that’s a start to it hunting them right?

Did it take long for yours to get used to hunting mollies?

• SRC Member
If putting pipe, don't angle the ends up like I did, because it will collect waste. The ends should be straight or down...

ooh nice tank! I was considering putting a pipe like yours also! Thanks for the advice :) i think I’ll consider putting in a pipe at an angle with his main opening at the front of my tank - smth similar to yours