Redsea Reefer XL or custom tank

Hi everyone,

Im new here and would like some recommendations from the seniors here. I currently own a Fluval 52l all in one tank and am looking to upgrade.

Went to two shops yesterday to check out the Redsea reefer 350 XL, however both did not have the tanks on display. One shop recommended that i custom a marine tank with cabinet instead.

Which way should i go? Any one using the Reefer XL tanks have any feedback about the setup? 

You can consider walking in to Seasonal Aquarium to have a look at their RSR 350 Display for consideration. FYI Redsea Reefer 350 is not an XL version, which means it has a shallower width as compared to its XL counterpart, and also the wooden cabinet material is different as well :)

• SRC Member

I have a Red Sea 350 and it's honestly quite well built. I don't think I could get similar quality (glass + cabinet + sump) at the same price if I went custom. The sump is designed well as the other reefer mentioned, especially if you just want the basic gear like skimmer etc. But if you want to put more gear in, then it can be a little small. I would have got the XL version if I had more space, but happy with the Reefer 350 in any case. 

If you not exactly sure what you want and don't really want to calculate things like return flow, water height etc, then it'll just be easier to go Red Sea.

I think custom is good if you need to fit your tank in a space with a specific/customized dimension. Or you have a clear idea on how you want to set up your tank with specific equipment (so you can fit everything in the sump, etc). 

• 3 weeks later...

I have not ordered it yet, I am still getting some quotes for custom tanks but custom seems much more expensive

Anyway the wait for redsea tanks seems long, around 1-2mths from wht i have heard from madpetz.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
On 7/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, marclaz said:

I have not ordered it yet, I am still getting some quotes for custom tanks but custom seems much more expensive

Anyway the wait for redsea tanks seems long, around 1-2mths from wht i have heard from madpetz.

Your jump from 52 to 350L might be a too huge jump. My 2 cents. I recently upgrade from Fluval Evo to approximately 100L and it is already somewhat a huge jump for me.