New tank cycle

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Karlisa88 said:

Guys how long do i need to wait till ammonia level goes spike?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

It really depends on quite a number of factors, like how big your tank is, temperature, what kind of rocks you are using, dosage of bacteria.

But in any case, if you’re using bare rocks and your tank is average sized, eg. +/- 3ft, generally should see ammonia within a week or so if you are using prawn. 

There is a slight possibility that your tank is already fully cycled if you are very heng with your batch of bacteria, and/or you are using cycled media and/or rocks.

If you’re not sure, start to ghost feed, or buy some cycling ammonia to add, then see if you are able to test for any ammonia. Another clear indicator is actually for you to start testing for nitrate as well. If you ghost feed or added cycling ammonia, you should start to see your nitrates rising as well, which means your tank is pretty much cycled. 

• SRC Member

What testing kit are you using? Some say API have some slight accuracy issues for ammonia. 

Cycling ammonia you should be able to get at most marine fish store. FnM has for sure, looks something like this:

https://www.freshnmarine.com/products/drtims-aquatics-ammonium-chloride-2oz

would recommend removing the prawn if you use this though, so easier and more accurate when monitoring the changes in ammonia level. 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

No prob. Waiting is probably quite sian, but try to endure. Use the time to think about other stuff like what fish you want to add! 

Salifert should be good!

Good luck!

• Like 1

No prob. Waiting is probably quite sian, but try to endure. Use the time to think about other stuff like what fish you want to add! 
Salifert should be good!
Good luck!

Hi bro. Finally i got my hand on the marine test kit by red sea...

So aft getting today i went to make a test.

Ammonia = 0.18ppm
Nitrite = more than 1ppm as per colour chart
Nitrate = 50ppm
Ph = 8.2

Quite confused is when i test the water with salifert nitrite test kit it show 0 ppm but when i use red seit is more than 1 ppm.. ammonia is the same for both test kit.

Any advised? Since nitrite spike i add bit more bacteria at night.. tm or day aft i will test again n will do water change ard 30% ? What ur opinion on the
Above?

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Karlisa88 said:

Ammonia = 0.18ppm
Nitrate = 50ppm
Ph = 8.2

Quite confused is when i test the water with salifert nitrite test kit it show 0 ppm but when i use red seit is more than 1 ppm.. ammonia is the same for both test kit.

Any advised? Since nitrite spike i add bit more bacteria at night.. tm or day aft i will test again n will do water change ard 30% ? What ur opinion on the
Above?

Hi bro, don't worry about nitrite actually, nitrite is not toxic in marine tanks even at fairly high levels. 

But since you are monitoring nitrite already, then also since you are still cycling your tank, it is not a bad thing to see nitrite! That means that your cycle is moving on nicely. 

As for nitrate, it is also very good to see it now, as that means your tank is almost completed its cycle.

Just let is be for a few more days and wait for ammonia to go to zero. Once Ammonia goes to zero, then your cycle is essentially complete.

I would do the water change only once cycle is complete, maybe even up to 50% since your nitrates are fairly high. Once that's done then congratulations, you can add fish!

• Like 1

Hi bro, don't worry about nitrite actually, nitrite is not toxic in marine tanks even at fairly high levels. 
But since you are monitoring nitrite already, then also since you are still cycling your tank, it is not a bad thing to see nitrite! That means that your cycle is moving on nicely. 
As for nitrate, it is also very good to see it now, as that means your tank is almost completed its cycle.
Just let is be for a few more days and wait for ammonia to go to zero. Once Ammonia goes to zero, then your cycle is essentially complete.
I would do the water change only once cycle is complete, maybe even up to 50% since your nitrates are fairly high. Once that's done then congratulations, you can add fish!

Thks alot to u and all bros here for the advised. Wil give it another week.

Ya my temp of tank during my cycle must maintain at which temp? Currently is at 27c

• SRC Member

You're very welcome and hope everything goes smoothly for you. Having a little more patience always help! 

And don't worry about temperature during cycling too. The nitrifying bacteria we're trying to cultivate has quite a high tolerance for a wide range of temperatures. 

Cycling might be slower at much lower temperatures, eg. below 20C. But we don't really have this problem in SG:D

• SRC Member

Ammonia = 0.18ppm
Nitrate = 50ppm
Ph = 8.2

Above?

Same bro when i was cycling the tank. Every tank are different. I used microbacter quick cycling kit. Although it says 7 days, my tank took 21 days. Good to get ammonia to add once your tank are cycled. One it feeds the bacteria, secondly you would want to see that the ammonia drop to 0 within 24 hours than your tank is good to go

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think my tank is cycle.. nitrate from 50ppm drop to 20ppm nw.. my nitrite still have 0.2ppm even after two water change..

I am putting microb7 everyday nw. Hopefully it drop to 0.

Question.. do you guys think i am able to put some livestock in? Just asking... or i have to wat till 0ppm for nitrite

Ph 8.2
Dkh 12
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.2
Nitrate 20ppm
Salinity 32 n 1.024

• SRC Member
I think my tank is cycle.. nitrate from 50ppm drop to 20ppm nw.. my nitrite still have 0.2ppm even after two water change..

I am putting microb7 everyday nw. Hopefully it drop to 0.

Question.. do you guys think i am able to put some livestock in? Just asking... or i have to wat till 0ppm for nitrite

Ph 8.2
Dkh 12
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.2
Nitrate 20ppm
Salinity 32 n 1.024

The nitrates you are measuring is because of the nitrites in tne water.
Nitrate test kits work by reducing nitrate first to nitrite before measuring. So if you already have nitrites then thats what it measures.

So your system most likely has zero nitrate. You should measure nitrate only after you get zero nitrite.

• Like 1

The nitrates you are measuring is because of the nitrites in tne water.
Nitrate test kits work by reducing nitrate first to nitrite before measuring. So if you already have nitrites then thats what it measures.

So your system most likely has zero nitrate. You should measure nitrate only after you get zero nitrite.

Thks bro

Yup can try. But go slow. And try to read up and research your first new addition properly.

Resist any temptation to buy fish that are for advanced level hobbyist or that requires a matured tank to thrive e.g Mandarin Fish. Go with common clown, chromis, pistol / shrimp goby if you want. You can spend more time observing those fishes and telling the owner to feed the fish. Make sure they are feeding properly.

Proper acclimation is key as well so get those equipments ready. All ze best!

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Current update my tank now have fully cycle.

Ph 8.2
Dkh 12
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm

So any suggestion on the 1st few livestock or coral?

Shud i do water change b4 intro livestock.

N i have some spot with diatom too..

Doing a 30-70% water change should get that nitrate down. Just make sure the paramaters match.

As for livestock, a pair of clownfish of your liking would be perfect as the starter fish imo. adding more peaceful fish first is always a good choice too

all the best with your new tank!

• Like 1