Which is a good supplier for setting up a new aquarium?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

You need to do it step by step. There are few key components that are essential to for a new tank:

1. Tank itself

2. Return Pump

3. Chiller (depends what you are going to have in your tank / can be purchased after cycling stage)

4. Skimmer / Refugium or both - do some reading on this but you will need some form of nutrient export

5. Sand / Rocks 

6. Cycling materials & Test kits (Bacteria booster products, Ammonia)

7. Lights

All of the above really depends on your tank size so first determine your tank size and with some research, you should be able to size the rest properly.

If you plan to just go to some one-stop LFS and expect them to set it all for you, this hobby is probably not for you :)

• SRC Member

Hi lextheimpaler,

I would say most LFS in Singapore are able to assist you for a simple set up. Just visit any LFS near you. Most are decent in their own way! You don't have to buy anything, just talk to them. If you want to fact check, feel free to ask away in the forums.

There is only really 1 shop I would avoid, especially if you are a beginner. It's located in the west. So if you live in the west, think it's not fair to name in a public forum, so just PM me to confirm or deny that is the shop I'm referring to.

But as mhcraft has mentioned, it would really help to know more details for us or the LFS to assist you better.

The most basic questions would be: What size of tank do you think you want? what do you roughly want to keep (fish only, soft coral, sps)? Have you maintained a marine tank before? freshwater?

• Like 1

• SRC Member
16 hours ago, dtdream said:

Hi lextheimpaler,

I would say most LFS in Singapore are able to assist you for a simple set up. Just visit any LFS near you. Most are decent in their own way! You don't have to buy anything, just talk to them. If you want to fact check, feel free to ask away in the forums.

There is only really 1 shop I would avoid, especially if you are a beginner. It's located in the west. So if you live in the west, think it's not fair to name in a public forum, so just PM me to confirm or deny that is the shop I'm referring to.

But as mhcraft has mentioned, it would really help to know more details for us or the LFS to assist you better.

The most basic questions would be: What size of tank do you think you want? what do you roughly want to keep (fish only, soft coral, sps)? Have you maintained a marine tank before? freshwater?

I know which shop you are referring to :) They are not that bad although i wouldn't recommend a new beginner to visit them as well but to be fair to them, some of their prices are comparable to other shops..

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, mhcraft said:

I know which shop you are referring to :) They are not that bad although i wouldn't recommend a new beginner to visit them as well but to be fair to them, some of their prices are comparable to other shops..

Pricing is ok for standard items, but that’s because you know roughly what market price is. The non-standard on the other hand..

But I suppose for me, the thing I’m most uncomfortable about is that the advice given is really sketchy. And I think it’s just really detrimental to the whole hobby if sketchy advice is dished out.

So yea, if seeking advice like OP, better avoid.