Fishtank water is very foamy after Chemiclean treatment

Validator

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I had a bad outbreak that I had to resort to Chemiclean.  I followed the 48 hours treatment wait and did a major water change more than the required 20%.  It has been about 2 days later but my water is still foamy and my protein skimmer is still bubbling over and out of control. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate was still high yesterday, I had been adding some brightwell aquatics bacteria treatment and also nopox to try to manage the nitrate levels and keep the Cyano at bay.

Seeking some advice as to what I should do.  The redness seems to be coming back abit.

• SRC Member

hi Peedeers, but I understand that if I continue to add solutions in the water the skimmer will continue to bubble like crazy and this does not address the foaming of the water in other places.  frankly quite tired of this Nyos skimmer. :(

• SRC Member
hi Peedeers, but I understand that if I continue to add solutions in the water the skimmer will continue to bubble like crazy and this does not address the foaming of the water in other places.  frankly quite tired of this Nyos skimmer.

Yes thats what will happen with any skimmer. Not just nyos.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

It is good to consider this. If chemiclean works. Then the cyano is killed. The cells breakdown and release all kind of content inside. Some of those can cause the skimmer to foam aggressively. 

Just like @peedeers said, removing these unwanted substance is as important, if not more important than getting rid of the cyano in the first place. Consider the alternative where all these remains in the aquarium, it's a matter of time before cyano,  or other algae comes back again. 

Letting you skimmer do it's job, is one of the easiest way to accomplish this. Maybe u can adjust to skim drier,  maybe you can use some fresh activated carbon to help out and absorb some compounds. Or even consider doing a water change to dilute the pollutants. 

16 hours ago, Validator said:

Been there since March

Also do take note,  GAC is not meant to last forever. They can be depleted within weeks or days in highly polluted tanks. 

• SRC Member

Hi All thanks for the feedbacks.  I decided to replace the chemipure blue and solve my skimmer first.  Since yesterday after changing the chemipure the water bubbling went down.  It looks like I would have to change my chemipure often so that is a learning point.  For the skimmer I got fed up with tuning the dials because it continued to overflow.  So lifted the skimmer physically and noted the height out of the water that would produce the ideal skimmate and placed a platform under the skimmer. Am waiting for my skimmer stand to come.

I still dose Nopox daily based on the recommended amount. My small little refugium still runs as always.  Will see how the ammonia nitrate numbers look this weekend.

• SRC Member
12 hours ago, Validator said:

Hi All thanks for the feedbacks.  I decided to replace the chemipure blue and solve my skimmer first.  Since yesterday after changing the chemipure the water bubbling went down.  It looks like I would have to change my chemipure often so that is a learning point.  For the skimmer I got fed up with tuning the dials because it continued to overflow.  So lifted the skimmer physically and noted the height out of the water that would produce the ideal skimmate and placed a platform under the skimmer. Am waiting for my skimmer stand to come.

I still dose Nopox daily based on the recommended amount. My small little refugium still runs as always.  Will see how the ammonia nitrate numbers look this weekend.

you can use egg crate and cut pvc pipe if necessary as temporary stand if your skimmer stand takes long for delivery.

Should be pretty easy and cheap to DIY

image.png.5515e46189e58e200194fdd2c5bfa1d6.png