Teco 500 chiller

Hello Reefers

Running a Red sea 350 with a teco 500 chiller .

Realise the timing required to chill a temp from 27-27 requires way too long ( over an hour ) … i dont remember it taking so long initially …. 

is anyone running the same configuration ?

can share how long it takes for you?

called qianhu and he told me RSR350 min requirement is teco 2000 ha ha …

• SRC Member

Wow..compressor...question, if it takes 1 hour to cool 1 degree..how long does it take for the tank to drop 1 degree? I assume due to the larger water volume, it takes longer?

I have a 100 litre nano tank and using 1/15 hp chiller. Takes about 20 mins to chiller and takes an hour to run again..

This will really make me think twice of upgrading to a larger tank :)

• SRC Member

I run a red sea reefer 350 as well. But I use the JBJ Artica 1/10 (DBA-075). I configure it at 26.1C, as it starts cooling every 0.5C, so starts at 26.6C and stops cooling at 26.0C. It takes about 20min-30mins to cool 0.5C, then maybe 1-3 hours before turning on again. 1-1.5 hours if aircon is turned off, 3 hours if aircon is on, sometimes even longer.

A contributing factor to chilling time is also what lights you are running. The stronger and more heat generated by your lights, the longer the time it will take for you chiller to chill the water. eg. just notice the time it takes to chill when your lights are on full blast vs night time when lights are off. There should be some difference. 

Another thing you could check is the flow rate for your chiller pump. Is it rated correctly for your chiller? If it is, and if your pump's flow rate is adjustable, you can try to increase/decrease the flow rate to see if you experience any difference in time it takes to chill. But it would be best if you can keep the light variable constant. eg. same light intensity when experimenting with the flow rate of chiller pump.

image.png.5e14f81cd12bbd168994fa637fdbae39.png

Next thing you need to check is placement of chiller. Do you place it in your cabinet or outside. Outside is recommended, I would even argue essential, for better ventilation. And if you place outside, make sure don't place too close to the wall. I know the Teco's exhaust is can be adjusted for direction, but it is still recommended to not place it too close to the wall.

Last thing that need to ask would be how long have you been running the chiller? The JBJ technician recommends that every 6 months need to service, he says its like our home aircon; he posed the question, how long often do you service your home aircon? But, just my own personal opinion, 6 months maybe abit too quick, I think 1 year once should be ok. JBJ they can come to your place to service, Teco I think you might need to bring to Qianhu (call to check if you need to service). It is likely that if your chilling time initially was much faster and now much slower, it is due for servicing. Basically they will clean the dust to increase efficiency of heat exchange again, and also check if your refrigerant needs to be topped up.

Oh and the pipes/hose too for your chiller, might be clogged with algae/gunk if have been running for awhile, especially if your hose is the translucent type (light can go through, algae will grow). But this one you probably need to do yourself!

Btw, TK-500 should be enough according to manufacturer's advise.

TK-2000 is overkill, RSR 350 total volume (DT+Sump) = 345L (91 gal) only. 

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, dtdream said:

I run a red sea reefer 350 as well. But I use the JBJ Artica 1/10 (DBA-075). I configure it at 26.1C, as it starts cooling every 0.5C, so starts at 26.6C and stops cooling at 26.0C. It takes about 20min-30mins to cool 0.5C, then maybe 1-3 hours before turning on again. 1-1.5 hours if aircon is turned off, 3 hours if aircon is on, sometimes even longer.

A contributing factor to chilling time is also what lights you are running. The stronger and more heat generated by your lights, the longer the time it will take for you chiller to chill the water. eg. just notice the time it takes to chill when your lights are on full blast vs night time when lights are off. There should be some difference. 

Another thing you could check is the flow rate for your chiller pump. Is it rated correctly for your chiller? If it is, and if your pump's flow rate is adjustable, you can try to increase/decrease the flow rate to see if you experience any difference in time it takes to chill. But it would be best if you can keep the light variable constant. eg. same light intensity when experimenting with the flow rate of chiller pump.

Next thing you need to check is placement of chiller. Do you place it in your cabinet or outside. Outside is recommended, I would even argue essential, for better ventilation. And if you place outside, make sure don't place too close to the wall. I know the Teco's exhaust is can be adjusted for direction, but it is still recommended to not place it too close to the wall.

Last thing that need to ask would be how long have you been running the chiller? The JBJ technician recommends that every 6 months need to service, he says its like our home aircon; he posed the question, how long often do you service your home aircon? But, just my own personal opinion, 6 months maybe abit too quick, I think 1 year once should be ok. JBJ they can come to your place to service, Teco I think you might need to bring to Qianhu (call to check if you need to service). It is likely that if your chilling time initially was much faster and now much slower, it is due for servicing. Basically they will clean the dust to increase efficiency of heat exchange again, and also check if your refrigerant needs to be topped up.

Oh and the pipes/hose too for your chiller, might be clogged with algae/gunk if have been running for awhile, especially if your hose is the translucent type (light can go through, algae will grow). But this one you probably need to do yourself!

This sounded more like it so I was curious why it took an hour to cool down our fellow reefer’s tank.

if compressor is a requirement for me to upgrade to 350/500, i can kiss that goodbye :)

On 8/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, dtdream said:

Very detailed explanation .

so many factors . 
it takea 2 hours 10mins for me to cool down from 27 to 26.

feels its a little too long ..

shall send it for servicing and see if theres any improvements…

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, JamesT said:

Very detailed explanation .

so many factors . 
it takea 2 hours 10mins for me to cool down from 27 to 26.

feels its a little too long ..

shall send it for servicing and see if theres any improvements…

Yea more than 1-1.5 hour sounds abit excessive considering your chiller seems to be properly rated for the size of your tank.

Hope it helps, good luck!

• SRC Member
Wow..compressor...question, if it takes 1 hour to cool 1 degree..how long does it take for the tank to drop 1 degree? I assume due to the larger water volume, it takes longer?
I have a 100 litre nano tank and using 1/15 hp chiller. Takes about 20 mins to chiller and takes an hour to run again..
This will really make me think twice of upgrading to a larger tank
Larger volume takes longer to heat up 1 degree. Factors include how much light you have and also ambient temperature.
My 300L tank with 3X Hydra 26 takes on average 2 hours to rise 1 degree.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app