Coral Frag Plugs

mehtadata

Hi,

As I'm learning more about this hobby - moved into keeping softies. What do most people do with the frags/plugs - do you simply clip off the post and glue the frag plug disc onto some rock? Or do you slice the coral (say Zoas) off the plug and attach directly to the rock work when it's been acclimated? Some of the plugs I've bought are quite big and starting out with only one or two polyps per frag. Looks very off to have the disc showing - what are the tools of the trade used here and best practices anyone can share? Many thanks.

Cutting off the Post or not, up to individual. But most do not snip off the plug as given time, the Zoas will cover the surface and given good placements, you will have many “bouquets” of zoas on your scape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

I like to cut off the posts and stick the plugs on a disk.

The disks give me options to place on sand or on rocks and move things around as needed. It's also easier to frag zoas off a flat surface compared to uneven rockscape.

Given time, coralline will grow over the plugs/disks and it will look part of the rock (ish).

You could snip off the posts with a frag cutter. Although some high quality frag plugs are extremely sturdy and require a Dremel saw to cut off.

It's up to you really! PXL_20211006_103840641.MP.jpgPXL_20211006_103823820.MP.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 4 weeks later...