Important medications to have on standby

legos36

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

It is with great sadness that I am only writing this post after my beloved clownfish who has been with me for quite a while now has passed on. Up until a few weeks ago, it was eating well. But then suddenly, it started losing its appetite, had long stringy white poop and was very lethargic. I asked around and the consensus was that it may have been having some internal parasites or worms. So, i transferred it into a QT with same parameters as DT and dosed with PraziGold (Eiho). Left it for about 4 days but its appetite still wasn't back, so I transferred it back to DT and observed for a while. Its appetite recovered slightly whereby it ate about 1-2 pellets/mysis shrimp before losing interest. But that didn't last long. It stopped eating again. I even used garlic pellets, garlic guard, frozen mysis shrimp and nori. This time, I did the same thing, transferred into QT and dosed with PraziGold since it still had white stringy poop. This time around, I increased QT temp to about 29 deg but i drip acclimatised it first before putting it it. The next day, my clownfish was just struggling to swim and breathing very heavily. I started to panic and quickly did a freshwater dip on it for about a minute. After noticing it wasn't swimming at all in the freshwater,  I prepared another saltwater bath but at 25 deg with air tube, same as DT, and placed it in. It started swimming again for awhile but was generally still lethargic. About 10min later, it died. Somehow I'm pretty sure even though it was sick, at the end perhaps I accelerated its death by doing too many sudden transfers out of sheer panic. That was stupid. This is a mistake I hope to never repeat again. 

But beyond that, I realised how important it is to stay calm and also be able to identify correctly and have the right medicine on hand to treat any fish diseases the moment they are discovered. What are some essential medications I must have on hand?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

@rarf Yeah! Quite a few diff combinations for internal parasites apparently! Some use Seachem's Focus + Metroplex to treat as well. Thanks for sharing man! (:

@alexcyf I'm using that now too! Combined with a high temp (28-30 deg celsius) it seems to be able to keep the ich at bay. I have another 2 clownfishes that got Ich recently and i'm treating them in the QT with Paraguard. So far it's been 6 days. Heard that we'll need at least 14 days of treatment to properly eradicate the ich.

@reeferRSHey thanks. Yeah hoping that other new reefers will not have to go through the same experience as me. Knowledge when applied well is power (:

I don't think many people use this but Nearth regendip M+ has been working very well for me! Its a fish dip that I use to remove any external parasites when I introduce new fish into the tank (without quarantining because I don't have space for a quarantine tank). I've introduced like 5 more tangs and alot of other fish into my tank this way and no fish have died from any parasites so far for about half a year already after ich wiped out my tank. 

This dip can also be used to treat sick fish but I havent had any sick ones so far so not sure if it works as well as copper or paraguard 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

@Matilda @kekelan Ohhh this is interesting! I've never really used Nearth products before. But since you guys have had good results with them, I think it's something worth investing in. And yeah QT not always an option for some reefers so it's good to have solutions which resolve that. Thanks for sharing! (:

• Like 1