New 40cm cube nano Tank! Advice and WTB please

Raymondyzw

Hi SRC! 

It's been over 10 years since I was last in the reefing hobby! Boy have things changed! Quite rusty and out of loop these days so would love to get the gurus thoughts here. 

I've recently set up a nano 40cm cube tank. Lighting on AI prime 16hd, Caribbean Live sand, dead dry rocks, biohome filter media, on distill water with salt from madpetz. I have a red sea nano skimmer, but not installed yet and wonder if I should use? Any suggestions on additions? 

Intend to keep LPS (euphyllias, bubble) and softies mostly (mushrooms, zoos, leather?). Any thoughts? 

Would love to get some advice on what fishes I could keep (2-3?). Any what corals I should consider. 

Also looking to buy a used small chiller. Please let me know if anyone is selling one!

Thank you all and really looking forward to sharing more on my reefing journey to come!

20211017_092054.jpg

20211017_092032.jpg

Edited by Raymondyzw
Update equipment list

• SRC Member

Welcome (back)  to reefing. The fundamentals of keeping a good reef has hardly changed.  It's just that there are much more tools to get the job done. 

A few observation/question on your setup:

1. While the return pump can provide reasonable flow,  You need to ensure there is no dead spot in the aquarium. Perhaps a tiny wavemaker? 

2. Euphyllia and bubble corals do send out long stinger to attack their neighbours;  while many softies can release chemicals to wage war. You have to plan the location of the corals carefully, and provide good chemical filtration. 

3. A skimmer can be very helpful in your setup. Even if the ability to export nutrients may be limited due to size, it can still provide good air exchange. 

4. Fish wise, I would recommend starting without one. Perhaps a shrimp or two,  and some snails or urchins will serve your setup better. 

Cheers! 

On 10/17/2021 at 5:06 PM, JiaEn said:

Welcome (back)  to reefing. The fundamentals of keeping a good reef has hardly changed.  It's just that there are much more tools to get the job done. 

A few observation/question on your setup:

1. While the return pump can provide reasonable flow,  You need to ensure there is no dead spot in the aquarium. Perhaps a tiny wavemaker? 

2. Euphyllia and bubble corals do send out long stinger to attack their neighbours;  while many softies can release chemicals to wage war. You have to plan the location of the corals carefully, and provide good chemical filtration. 

3. A skimmer can be very helpful in your setup. Even if the ability to export nutrients may be limited due to size, it can still provide good air exchange. 

4. Fish wise, I would recommend starting without one. Perhaps a shrimp or two,  and some snails or urchins will serve your setup better. 

Cheers! 

Thanks Jia En! 

Great point on husbandry. Will pay careful attention. 

Any recommendation on a suitable mini  wave maker? Don't want it to crowd the tank more than is necessary though. Real Estate is limited in this nano. Haha. 

I have a mini skimmer that I'll set up once I get the tank cycled. In a couple weeks.

Definitely not thinking of fish yet. Like you suggest perhaps some clean up crew in form of snails and shrimp. But do want to graduate to a fish or two in months to come though.. Maybe a clown? Any thoughts on ocellaris vs percula? 

• SRC Member
19 minutes ago, Raymondyzw said:

Any recommendation on a suitable mini  wave maker? Don't want it to crowd the tank more than is necessary though. Real Estate is limited in this nano. Haha. 

I would recommend AI nero 3, or jebao slw-10. Those are the smallest profile wavemaker around, if I'm not mistaken. In any case, you are not looking to create a storm.  Perhaps by positioning the chiller return (from a second pump)  strategically, you may be able to do without a wave maker. 

21 minutes ago, Raymondyzw said:

But do want to graduate to a fish or two in months to come though.. Maybe a clown? Any thoughts on ocellaris vs percula? 

Fish wise,  long term sustainability is an issue for a Nano tank. Say you get a inch long ocellaris;  it will grow to 3 inches long. Probably going to be a bit crowded in the setup. While you certainly can keep several fishes in it,  it will be much more demanding on your husbandry.