Softies sources

Pickles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

From what I know it can be pretty hard to find larger pieces these days, many LFS i’ve observed tend to sell pieces up to 5inches or frags only. You can try asking around here if fellow reefers have larger colonies to let go.

From my experience most pomacanthus, holacanthus and diacanthus angels will only take a curious nip at certain softies, but really go after and eat other types.

I used to have a Regal angel that would eat my zoanthids and star polyps but leave large leathers like toadstools, Kenya trees and finger leathers alone. Right now I house an 8inch Blue-Ring angel that’s been with me for 3 years that will eat zoas and cloves but leaves star polyps, leathers, xenia and kenya trees alone.

I used to try out cheap zoa frags, leathers, xenia and star polyps with some angels and all in all I must say whether or not they will eat your coral is really up to the individual specimen. That said I have had the least luck with keeping them with zoanthids, and the most luck with big leathers.

For anemones, I have yet to have an angelfish that has eaten any, though I do notice they will curiously inspect anything that looks edible, especially things that resemble fleshy lps corals.

This is anecdotal as a large variety of angelfish will have a tendency nip corals, even dwarf varieties like flame angels. Best not to keep them with more expensive coral pieces unless you fancy potentially giving them a very expensive meal experience hahaha.

Also, if you’re looking to keep lps corals in the future, most of them will certainly be at risk with large angels.

If you’re looking for absolutely reef-safe angelfish types, go for genicanthus species. These feed on planktonic matter in the water column and don’t have a habit of nipping at corals.

Hope this helps!
Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1