Advice needed for starting new

39 minutes ago, mhcraft said:

Thats weird as there should only be one hose going back to the top of the skimmer cover for air flow. Should be able to find the manual fairly easily - i believe its this one

https://www.seasideaquatics.com/BM/BMC3.5-2.pdf 

Yes this came with the box but didn’t explain what each part is for. I’ve never use a protein skimmer in my life before hence the confusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My parameters as follows :-

ph 8.15 stable based on Salifert  checker

calcium 500+ based on Red Sea  checker 

alkalinity 7.2 after water change. 6.9 at end of 6-7days based on Hanna checker 

I think I need to increase my alkalinity. How should I do it safely? Can I use Red Sea foundation b?

thanks  

On 11/28/2021 at 2:43 PM, viper0419 said:

Hi guys,

I think I need to increase my alkalinity. How should I do it safely? Can I use Red Sea foundation b?

thanks  

I continue to get high calcium and Low alk. Now after adding more corals, my alk will be around 6.1 -6.3 about 3 days after water change. Can’t understand what’s causing this. 
I did a test on a pail of freshly mix saltwater. Alk is 9.2 which is about right nut calcium is 500, too high based on what it says on the salt bucket (fauna Marin). Any idea why this can be happening? By the way I’m using Ro/di and not tap water. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
On 12/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, viper0419 said:

By the way lfs says it’s pointless to dose alk now cos my system is not balanced. Best is to do water change. Issue is that it seems the problem could be the salt?

What salt are you using? I find it weird that you have so much issues..

21 hours ago, Mark Liew said:

Wat corals u have now? Have your tank started growing coralline?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I have 2 hammers, 1 torch, 3 acans, 1 clove, 2 Ric, 3 gonio, 3 Zoas, 2 bird nest, 1 fibre optics, 2 acro, 1 mr freeze, 1 electric daisy and 1 sunset monti

coraline algae not yet. 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, mhcraft said:

What salt are you using? I find it weird that you have so much issues..

I’m using fauna Marin pro salt. I also don’t understand.  After dosing my alk is rising now. But nitrate and phosphate still zero. 

13 minutes ago, viper0419 said:

I have 2 hammers, 1 torch, 3 acans, 1 clove, 2 Ric, 3 gonio, 3 Zoas, 2 bird nest, 1 fibre optics, 2 acro, 1 mr freeze, 1 electric daisy and 1 sunset monti

coraline algae not yet. 

TBH.. your tank is still too young for that amount of corals especially SPS.. be mentally prepared for casualties..

Hi guys,

thanks  

0.3 drop of DKH in 6-7 days is nothing.. in fact your corals is not consuming any alk which means it is not growing and may have a chance not to survive...

We have the same tank RSR170.. i was doing 100ml ALK and 40ml Cal per day till i change to Calcium Reactor last week.. cannot tahan to buy RSF A/B/C..

BTW.. PH do not stay stable throughout the day... it goes up and down..

image.png.6379ba2461bc9f50aeeb4b208e508834.png

image.png.9957ba9dbe07d3c9de81513b17855fca.png

image.png.a55b49b69c546d942414398f309a6944.png

• SRC Member

Have you checked your magnesium levels? Magnesium is essential to ensure Ca and kH can be maintained at the level we want. 

Also,  if freshly mixed saltwater reads so high in terms of calcium,  maybe you should get a second test kit to confirm. 

I would suggest u get RS KH Coralline GRO for now.. it consist of KH & Cal plus Coralline fragments.. will help u on seeding Coralline Algae.. start with 1 ml per day and increase as and when required.. till now i am still doing it..

4 hours ago, Mark Liew said:

I would suggest u get RS KH Coralline GRO for now.. it consist of KH & Cal plus Coralline fragments.. will help u on seeding Coralline Algae.. start with 1 ml per day and increase as and when required.. till now i am still doing it..

Okay will try. Thanks!

6 hours ago, JiaEn said:

Have you checked your magnesium levels? Magnesium is essential to ensure Ca and kH can be maintained at the level we want. 

Also,  if freshly mixed saltwater reads so high in terms of calcium,  maybe you should get a second test kit to confirm. 

Yes. Magnesium around 1350.