Stirring a sand-bed

Zixuan

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers, amature hobbyist, 6-months into the hobby now. 

Was wondering, anyone have any clue on whether stirring a sand-bed occassionally is good or bad? I read online that it helps keep the sand-bed free from your fish's sh*t, but the off-hand is you're disturbing the bacteria living in it.. essentially killing it off. 

So, is it good or bad to stir your sand bed occassionally? If so, how frequent do you do it? :D

• SRC Member

If you do it regularly, say once or twice a week,  no issues at all. 

If not,  you should limit yourself to one small section at a time.

The problem of deep and undisturbed sand bed is that there is only so much detritus it can take in before forming too much anoxic zones. This may take a few months to a few years, but it always feels like a ticking time bomb to me. 

• SRC Member

If you are referring to DSB, then I believe it is not supposed to be stirred. Or at the most, only the very top layer to be “cleaned”.

if you are referring to normal sand bed that’s, say around 1” or so, then they can be regularly stirred/cleaned. But if it has not stirred/cleaned for months, don’t do the whole tank at one cleaning. Do small area first time, then subsequently gradually increase the area during each cleaning. This is just to play safe not to stir up too much shit into the water column.

Above just my 2 cents worth because I don’t have DSB.