Should I turn my chiller off at night?

Asyveth

• SRC Member

Hi, I'm new to the hobby and intend to keep a 3ft FOWLR tank. I've recently installed a chiller and was wondering if it would make sense to turn it off during the night to increase the lifespan of the chiller by giving it more "downtime" since it's not as hot. I've read from the forum that fish in the wild are able to adapt to 5 degree temperature changes as long as it is gradual and the temperature follows a schedule/ is consistent. The temperature of my tank during the day is chilled to 27 degrees. I've set a timer for my chiller to turn off at 9pm and turn on at 9am everyday. Since it's not as hot at night, the temperature of my tank will maintain at around 29-30 degrees max. If anyone can educate me or provide some input that would be great! Much appreciated.

Edited by Asyveth

• SRC Member

Personal opinion: Best to leave the temperature constant so I would leave the chiller active throughout.

There was once I set the chiller temperature at 26 degrees without realising the thermostat was malfunctioning and for a couple of weeks the temperature was swinging between 25 and 29 degrees and I wasn’t fully aware what was going on. Next thing I knew my fish were stressed out enough to have their immune systems compromised and succumbed to ich.

stressors like temperature drop and rise can greatly increase the chances of your fish falling ill to parasites and other diseases imo.

if i were you if i absolutely had to turn the chiller off completely at night then i’d set the temperature during the day to something closer to what you mentioned your average temp without a chiller was- like 28 degrees. less of a swing cause of the smaller gap in temperature difference.

Hope this helps

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Personal opinion: Best to leave the temperature constant so I would leave the chiller active throughout.

There was once I set the chiller temperature at 26 degrees without realising the thermostat was malfunctioning and for a couple of weeks the temperature was swinging between 25 and 29 degrees and I wasn’t fully aware what was going on. Next thing I knew my fish were stressed out enough to have their immune systems compromised and succumbed to ich.

stressors like temperature drop and rise can greatly increase the chances of your fish falling ill to parasites and other diseases imo.

if i were you if i absolutely had to turn the chiller off completely at night then i’d set the temperature during the day to something closer to what you mentioned your average temp without a chiller was- like 28 degrees. less of a swing cause of the smaller gap in temperature difference.

Hope this helps

Okay! Thanks for the advice :)