Reefers, need some advice tyvm, im so noob in this hobby!

• SRC Member

Hello, im really new to this hobby, i need some advice on reef keeping. Anyone can help out please?

Qns 1: When the water evaporate, i believe we are suppose to only top up with fresh water instead of salt water right? if so, the ph level with fresh water i guess is about 7, and if u mix with your tank water does it lower your ph overall? 1st water change 20% , next day my firefish look super stress and hide at the rocks whole day, following day died. RIP.

Qns 2: When u create your own salt water by mixing reef salt + fresh water, does the ph automatically goes up to 8.3 after mixing the salt? or am i suppose to add some buffer to raise the ph? 

Thank you very much in advance for those who help advise!

• SRC Member

q1: adding water only reduces the ph by the same amount the evaporated water increases ph so it’s usually not a big issue for the small amount involved.

water change can affect it much more especially IF you’re not using the same salt mix: the final ph will be inbetween since 20% is a significant amount. even if you’re using the same salt mix, your current ph is probably different (lower) than a fresh mix.

q2: the salt mix determines the ph of the saltwater by its composition. some are higher; some are lower, but all of them should be high enough.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app