Review on SEIO pump

nqh71

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i have not bought the pumps but i know i would have gone for tunze streams if i wanted more flow...

the smallest tunze model 6060 offers 6000l/hr flow at $170-$180

the M820 offers 3200 Litres/Hr at $118.00

furthermore the tunze is made in germany ;)

just more cost effective as $ per flow, the tunze wins by quite abit ;)

but the seio pumps would be suitable for nano to small tanks that would otherwise be churned up like a food blender by the tunze streams :)

• SRC Member
Just plugged in 5 minutes ago.... Extremely disappointed by the flow rate... Can't believe it is rated 2400l/h.... My 1500l/h powerhead is so much more powerful... :(

Did you lift it out near to the water surface to blow out the air as suggested by Boxfish? He says that it'll increase the flow...

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...60entry256098

• SRC Member

:lol: not increase the flow just that somehow this device doesn't behave normally upon power on.... tried many time still the same pattern. anyway as long as there is a way to get it work normally.....once working normal it will stay as it is.

may be the expert can comment if I'm wrong :ph34r:

It all boils down to what you are using it for.

My tank has 4 kinds of pumps to generate current:

1) Tunze 6060 - for generating greater water movt.

2) Eden 228 - Placed near and for creating gentle waves for some of my sps tables without blowing off the tissues.

3) Seio 820 - generating powerful water flow near my sps without creating a sandstorm. Between 820 and 620...I strongly recommend this one as it is just nice. Produce strong currents but not killing the LPS in the tank

4) Seio 620 = generating weaker flow, suitable for generating currents for LPS and sps that are of a little distance away (ard 10 to 15cm?)

I generally look at what the pumps can do and place them at strategic places for the best effect I can get out of them

• SRC Member
Actually thinking of adding the Seio M620 for my 3ft tank to create radom current in the tank. I have a tunze 6060 already. What do you guys think? Will a M620 be enough?

Go for a M820, the 620 is too weak IMO.........unless you wan to place it directly infront of ur colony.

Eric

• SRC Member

I got a tunze 6060 in my 3x1.5x1.5ft and I needed more flow at tunze unit location (blind spot).

I bought a M820 last night. It is not working in the tank but ok outside water. :nc:

Changed it today and used it like tunze, but I find the flow to be too weak. I prefer a powerhead. ;)

The one I have does not function consistently. The propeller stop rotating once in a while and it is quite noisy when it works. :nc:

I decided to return it to the shop and buy a ph monitor instead. :rolleyes:

But I must commend Henry (ML) for his patient (answering my questions thru the phone and help to troubleshoot), good service, understanding (my frustrations) and willingness to refund me. I choose to top-up for a ph monitor. :D

• Sponsor
I got a tunze 6060 in my 3x1.5x1.5ft and I needed more flow at tunze unit location (blind spot).

I bought a M820 last night. It is not working in the tank but ok outside water. :nc:

Changed it today and used it like tunze, but I find the flow to be too weak. I prefer a powerhead. ;)

The one I have does not function consistently. The propeller stop rotating once in a while and it is quite noisy when it works. :nc:

I decided to return it to the shop and buy a ph monitor instead. :rolleyes:

But I must commend Henry (ML) for his patient (answering my questions thru the phone and help to troubleshoot), good service, understanding (my frustrations) and willingness to refund me. I choose to top-up for a ph monitor. :D

You obviously had a faulty unit because the pump should not be making any noise at all. I guess that's the reason why the flow is weak.

Anybody with the same problem should bring their pumps back for a one for one exchange as they are covered by warranty.

• SRC Member

yeah....just got it from mike today...the 820.....great service from mike...unfortuately....piece of lousy equipment....even at max. its seems to generate less forceful current then my maxi-jet!!!! switch back to using maxi-jet.....

maybe like what deepblue says...different pump different uses...too tired to think now maybe in the moring then find what i can use it for...

To be very frank....I think A LOT of people are really disappointed with the pumps because a lot of pple thought it looks like a tunze in certain way and are expecting a similar pdt. Well, what you have is a pump that performs at a different level from the Tunzes.

Yup, if you compare its ability to move water in volume in your tank...it is not going to make you jump out of your seat and scream you have a cheaper version of the tunze.

There are a lot of positive reviews from RC. Probably, guys over ther emust have have some positive use for it as well. They dun bother to sugar0coat things if they are not good. ;)

I personally find them suitable for my tank use. Reason-->I bought a second Tunze few weeks back....the sandstorm plus current killed some of my LPS. :( What I appreciate now is a rather good pump that is strong enough to create current and covers a rather wide area without creating a sandstorm.....I'm pleased.

So, in my case and IN MY OPINION, I find them alright.

Similarly, maxijets are great if I want a more focused and concentrated current flow.

Maybe, it will be good to look at some positive things about the pump and see how we can maximise the use of it.

Cheers :peace:

• SRC Member

I am currently running a 2 footer. While some might say its good for a small tank, i beg to differ...reason is that i find that for a small tank, it takes up too much space. The size of the pump in relation to the tank is quite disportionate...somehow i find pointing maxi-jet at the glass or LR and use the reflected wave to be more effective solution for a small tank....but then its just my opinion...

• SRC Member
I am currently running a 2 footer. While some might say its good for a small tank, i beg to differ...reason is that i find that for a small tank, it takes up too much space. The size of the pump in relation to the tank is quite disportionate...somehow i find pointing maxi-jet at the glass or LR and use the reflected wave to be more effective solution for a small tank....but then its just my opinion...

Generally, if you have a 2 feet cube tank and even 3 feet tanks, its pretty hard on the corals if you have a tunze in the tank. Place an sps in the direct path of a tunze and you will have flying tissues but you can place sps safely in the path of seios.

any pumps used without considering its capability will have adverse effect or disappointing results. While I do find maxijets good(I love these series of pumps)....they can be too powerful if you are not careful ..placed them inappropriately .....can also blow off the tissue of SPS or kill off LPS.

I do agree that the seio series if placed in the way w/o its cover can look quite big in a 2 footer.. in fact I always find the tunze pumps too ugly and big in my 4 footer too... :lol::lol:

I guess bottomline is how we choose to use them in getting what we want. :)

• SRC Member

Thank to god, I changed my mind before getting this. Now I am happy with Tunze TS07 in my little 3' tank. Bit regread that should have gone for TS12 since TS07 is little bit lower.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

IMHO - SEIO is not a power head

Maybe this pump has been NAME wrongly. Wavemaker :o (TUNZE...)

Should call it Water Circulation Pump with LOWER power consumsion. ;);)

Well, It was a good product for circulate the tank water. It just took 5W for 2400l/h & 15W for 3200l/h. Which mean LESS heat generated by the pump.

Got a 2nd unit 620 on my 2 feet tank from SRC reefer 2 days ago. Happy with it. No more big hole on my sandbed. :D (If use a 3200l/h power head :cry2::cry2:

Very good circulation in my tank. Look like my SPS is HAPPY with it too :upsidedown: