DIY Auto-water topup

Dotty1313

Hi all,

Can't resist to show a DIY project that I have done a few months back (after seeing so much posting on this topic); :P

It all started when the evaportion rate of my fish tank increases and I was pretty tired of topping up water everyday. I have it running for a few months now and it seems to work pretty well - so far no problem.

Disclaimer: The design is entirely my design - from the float switch to the electronic circuit in the controller box.

post-9-1092757614.jpg

ya how much did u do it for . wanna get a top off utility but have exactly no idea ... care to share more ??

or u do it for mi with a small token of appreciation haha :D

pls share share ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Hi,

Thanx for the interests... here's a consolidated reply to the various questions asked:

TDidn't really tallied up the cost but my estimation is that it is less than $50 (not inclusive of labour :P ). This is for the controller unit and the float switch.

The electronic circuit is pretty straight forward if you are familiar with electronic/electrical stuff.

For this project, I use a simple mechanical relay switch for the switching on/off of the power supply. You can also use solid-state relay if you have higher budget. I have a transformer to step down the power supplier to 12V for use by the float switch.

The logic is very simple, the float switch is normally open but will close when reach a certain level. When it is closed, it will activate the relay switch to turn on the A/C power (please get proper advice on this if you are not familiar working with 240V - this can kill!!).

The float switch is made from ballon stick (those sticks that come with balloons), compact foam, magnet and a magnetic switch. The magnetic switch will close when there is a magnetic field near to it. Well, that's all to it. Simple?

Do take note that the magnetic switch tends to get magnetised after some time - depending on the condition of the magnetic switch. I have mine running for a few months now and things are alright. My first float switch encountered this problem and ended up with over-topping;

I have yet to make any modifications to my design to cater for a second float switch that will turn off the power when it is over-topping (actually, need not a float switch, just 2 metal strips will do. Hoped this gives some info for you to proceed with your own DIY water top up and saves some $$$.

Regards...

Dotty

• SRC Member

Dotty,

Sory to borrow your thread.

Just would like to show the rest about the details inside the box.

Bought the parts this morning and fix it within 2 hours, just the controll box.

This is what it looks inside.

Simple ;)

post-9-1092842135.jpg

• SRC Member
(actually, need not a float switch, just 2 metal strips will do. Hoped this gives some info for you to proceed with your own DIY water top up and saves some $$$.

Regards...

Dotty

bro ,

pretty good design but i reckon not any 2 metal strips will do ? <_<

a decent float switch will save u lots of headache later on ... sure cookieM will vouch for that !!! :lol::lol:

for those interested in DIY of top up ... do a search on it ... ervine came up with a pretty good one w schematic .... I modify it to use a 12V car wiper pump itstead of a PH :lol::lol:

great fun in DIY .... :lol:

• SRC Member

bro ,

pretty good design but i reckon not any 2 metal strips will do ? <_<

a decent float switch will save u lots of headache later on ... sure cookieM will vouch for that !!! :lol::lol:

for those interested in DIY of top up ... do a search on it ... ervine came up with a pretty good one w schematic .... I modify it to use a 12V car wiper pump itstead of a PH :lol::lol:

great fun in DIY .... :lol:

hahaha yes. Nice DIY. You even DIYed the float switch...thats a good job.

However, I would advice to go for a off the shelf float switch as its much safer and hassle free. These are easily available in SIM LIM TOWER. Remember to get the vertical float switch similar to your design.

cheers

Hi MV3i/CookieMunster,

Yes... a float switch will be a better replacement for the 2 metal strip (less hasle in inverting the close circuit to break the PH circuit).

Well, one of my motivation of making my own float switch is because of the high price you have to pay for a simple device such as a float siwtch (above $18?)- I can make one under $3. :P and am prepare to take the risk - well that's implicit risk for any DIY project right?

I'm glad that this has generated so many sharing - I remember searching the internet when conceptualising this DIY project and there are not much information - especially how to make a float switch.

Incidentally, does anyone know how does the commercial float switch work? Curious to find out but not curious enough to spend $18 to open one up. ;)

Will share with the rest my DIY wave maker when I find the time... meanwhile, I'm now working on the rotating 'thingy' that you connect to the powerhead that is supposed to create a better water flow... has anyone done that already? Well, the motivation is the same, not prepared to paid $18 for a simple device like that... :P

Regards...

Dotty

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
I have yet to make any modifications to my design to cater for a second float switch that will turn off the power when it is over-topping (actually, need not a float switch, just 2 metal strips will do. Hoped this gives some info for you to proceed with your own DIY water top up and saves some $$$.

Regards...

Dotty

hi bro dotty,

care to show how u diy the float switch.. ??

how does the 2 metal stripes work.. ?? can explain??

best if u can show a drawing as well... i'm really interest to know...

i'm going to make one with limit switches ..

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
12V dc relay (depend the power pack output voltage)

you are responding to a Jan 2008 question? :upsidedown:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!