Worm during cycling!!!

crany

Hi guys,

After putting in my LR during my tank cycling process, I notice a bloody long worm sliding out and hiding into another space/hole whatever!!!

I bought the cured rocks and the rocks was also immersed in freshwater for 30 minutes when I got them at the farm at Pasir Ris.

Anyone knows how to get rid of the worm......any solution/chemicals that can be added to kill it?.....but first I got to find it!!! :)

If I were to leave the worm in the rocks, just in case it does not surface anymore, will it do harm to my corals and fishes eventually??

This worm is highly making me distressed!!! :)

Please advise.

Chris

Yup I did the dipping in Freshwater for about 30 - 45 minutes at the fish farm. They were nice enough to do that for me and that resulted in quite a fair bit of them "hitchhikers" being removed.

Just last night I saw this long crawler slidind out of one space and into another.

Really giving me the creeps to search and destroy!!!

Are there any solution/chemicals that can be used to kill them/force them to come out???

Am still very distressed :(

Hi guys,

After putting in my LR during my tank cycling process, I notice a bloody long worm sliding out and hiding into another space/hole whatever!!!

I bought the cured rocks and the rocks was also immersed in freshwater for 30 minutes when I got them at the farm at Pasir Ris.

Anyone knows how to get rid of the worm......any solution/chemicals that can be added to kill it?.....but first I got to find it!!! :)

If I were to leave the worm in the rocks, just in case it does not surface anymore, will it do harm to my corals and fishes eventually??

Please advise.

Chris

How long (cm) is your worm. If it is less than 10cm, I wouldn't lose my sleep over it as they are excellence scavengger.

But if it is big, then I will remove the rock into a sump and throw in a six lined wrasse! :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

How long (cm) is your worm. If it is less than 10cm, I wouldn't lose my sleep over it as they are excellence scavengger.

But if it is big, then I will remove the rock into a sump and throw in a six lined wrasse! :D

Alamak, my six line warsse wasn't doing it's part leh! Still see big bristle worms around.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
Funny leh.

Go through all the trouble to get liverock. Soak all in fresh water for 30 - 45 or a day...all become dead rock.

Might as well get dead rock in the first place. Much much cheaper and at most got cockroach. :)

:lol: tat's why must read up first man..

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Since you are still cycling your tank, just turn off your pump for a day or 2. The worms will come out when the water gets stale.

My maid turned off my pump one morning. When I got back from work at night, most of the inhabitants of my tank died and the bristle worms also came out of their hidey holes.

Since you are still cycling your tank, just turn off your pump for a day or 2. The worms will come out when the water gets stale.

My maid turned off my pump one morning. When I got back from work at night, most of the inhabitants of my tank died and the bristle worms also came out of their hidey holes.

If you do that not only will the worm come out, you will also have lots of dead nitrobacter!

:evil:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Please advise.

Chris

Which is why I buy dead rocks. :rolleyes:

All this talk of LIVE rocks as if they are some miracle product. Dead rocks can be colonised by bacteria to be LR also but alot of beginners don't understand and think maybe rocks can give birth. :lol:

When they start to see the stuff crawling out of their LR, then.... :nc::erm::unsure::huh::eyeblur::cry::shock::ooh::cry2::sick:

Ammonia spike will not kill bristle worms or crabs. They are super hardy. Only way is to remove them. If you know the rock that the worm is hiding in, bring it out and air it for few hours. The worm will crawl out from its hiding place then remove it but have to be fast.

There is no way to ensure your rocks 100% worm or crab free short of Clorex-ing them or starting with dead rocks. Since you are just started cycling, you still have options. Better now than to discover later that you have crabs or worms after you introduce LS!

If you do that not only will the worm come out, you will also have lots of dead nitrobacter!

:evil:

You are right of course. But would you prefer to submerge the LRs in tap water? I think this is the lesser evil.

You will have a lot of dead nitrobacts, but there will be enough leftover to repopulate the LR.

By the way I also agree that bristle worms are damn hardy creatures. Even with this method, those hiding deep in the LRs are bound to survive.

If you really want them all gone, take marcvelous' advise, Clorox your LRs.

Cheers.