enrich water with phytoplankton

yuji

Hi,

u do not 'enrich' the water with Phytoplankton as this will 'de-rich',pollute the water & decrease water quality, what u want to do is to enrich the zooplankton to feed the SH.

If your SH is not feeding well. get to the source of the reason. Is it WC?(wild caught)

Has it not been feeding the moment u got it?

• SRC Member

Can try live adult brine shrimps. Available in some LFS eg. I know Blk 328 in Clementi LFS carry them @ $3 a packet. Then slowly teach the SH to take frozen food.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

tks alot. i'm still trying. they don't take frozen food, and neither do they take tiny ghost shrimps. hmm...

they are making me so worried, because if they don't start feeding well and fast enough, then their digestive system may be weak and subsequently fail, then its bye bye... :cry:

(or maybe they have been eating when i wasn't observing them, because I checked the filter and there wasn't any 'food' in there)

• Sponsor

Hi, Selcon is as follows..

Energize your fish and coral food. Selcon acts as a soaking agent for any type of freeze-dried or frozen food. Simply add 0.5ml to your favorite food and start feeding. Can also be used to treat live brine shrimp to greatly enhance their nutritional quality. Great also as a filter feeder supplement, by adding directly to the tank at 0.5ml per 50 gallons.

* Vitamin C stabilized 200mg

* Selco highly unsaturated fatty acids; marine lipids 200mg/g

* Vitamin B12 Cyanocobalamin 240mg

* Does not contain yeast, phosphate or nitrate

* Will not alter water chemistry

* For marine use only

* Can be used several times each week

Available at E Aquarist..:)

• SRC Member
tks alot. i'm still trying. they don't take frozen food, and neither do they take tiny ghost shrimps. hmm...

they are making me so worried, because if they don't start feeding well and fast enough, then their digestive system may be weak and subsequently fail, then its bye bye... :cry:

(or maybe they have been eating when i wasn't observing them, because I checked the filter and there wasn't any 'food' in there)

Do you have any fishes in the tank??

I was con into buying one by LFS to keep with my fishes and the SH will not feed at all. I manage to keep the SH alive for over 2 months by buying powdered plankton and target feeding it.

• SRC Member

Do you have any fishes in the tank??

I was con into buying one by LFS to keep with my fishes and the SH will not feed at all. I manage to keep the SH alive for over 2 months by buying powdered plankton and target feeding it.

fishes can go with seahorses...but only very few kinds...

seahorses are slow hence they MUST NOT be placed with fast and aggressive fishes as they cant fight for food....however others like mandrain cant be kept with them...

another reason might be water flow...seahorses should not be kept in high current tanks....

but like what pagasus said...the seahorses are wild caught...from what i know..there are no captive bred seahorses sold in singapore..

and what have u been feeding the seahorses....big seahorses like kuda might not take brine shrimps but go for ghost shrimps....but others like tiger tails will go for brine shrimps...and since they are wild caught...its best to start off with live food and slowly train them to take dead or frozen food...

also when buying seahorses...do not get those whose stomach is concaved...those cannot be saved already...these seahorses are straved and do not have much energy left to hunt for food...they are also very mulnorished..

btw...keeping seahorses with fishes for 2 months is already an accomplishment... some cant even keep them alive for a week...my seahorse lasted 7 months... as for my recent batch...sold all of them..hehe

just my 2 cents..but hope it is of some help...

• SRC Member
Hi decentkid,

Just to point out.

There are locally bred CB(captive bred)seahorses in Singapore, but not sold to the public yet for the time being.

I am curious that there are still WC(wild caught) seahorses sold in Singapore by local LFS!

Correct me if i am wrong.

yup....captive bred can be found but they are bred by private breeders like u :eyebrow: ....but when i said that they are not sold..i meant that lfs do not sell them

as for wild caught...some lfs do bring the seahorses without permit after the CITES law was set...

• SRC Member
the adult live brine shrimps will have to be enriched first using selcon...or else is just like feeding the seahorse empty shells

i see.. but i read in other seahorses forum that selco doesn't do much to add nutrition to sh. how abt aquapharm 5 in 1 coral food? would it be gd if i soak the live brine shrimps in them before feeding them to sh?

• SRC Member

An easier way, divide a packet of Live adult Brine Shrimp into 2 containers (those microwave kind). Put 1 drop of aquaz supreme blend phytoplankton and 1 drop of selcon into each container. Stir & keep 1 container in the fridge.

Leave the other container outside for a minimum of 4 hrs (more if u have time).

Strain BS with sieve(normal $1 plastic strainer from NTUC) and feed.

Throw away enrichment water. (do not feed this water to the tank as the selcon will lower water quality)

The BS kept in the fridge will last 2-3 days Live and enrich themselves during the time. When u want to feed- leave container outside for 2 hrs till it becomes room temp, strain & feed.

Its very easy and takes abt 5mins preparation time.

You will see that the intestinal tract of the Brineshrimp becomes a dark green/brownish colour- this means it is packed with a phyto/selcon mix from head to toe(since they have no toes...head to backside ;) )

You can use this method to feed any fish as a treat once a week or month, as they will benefit from the omega/lipid/vitamins that the phyto hold. You may also find that they get less prone to whitespots if on a rotational food feeding.

The supreme blend holds very high amounts of protein/omega acids/carbo/vitamins,EPA/DHA and lipids, together with selco with high fatty acids,you have most of the elements covered- it makes a powerful enrichment solution.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Yuji, if your horsies are not feedng yet dont worry man...

they most probably are trying to get used to their new home after so much stress of flying ( if ur importing) and travelling ( if ur getting from WC or from lfs )..

mine stubborn tigers took 1 week to start feeding...

i started with ghost shrimps "enriched" with premium fish pellets...

then malayans (higher grade) enriched with fish pellets as well...

now brine enriched with marine additives...

they even snack pods now, like dim sum...

but unfortunately, its a pair of lesbos after the "gooniang" male died...

wow, this forum is coming alive, i can feel it...

CheerS man `!~!~!

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.