tank full of baby mantis shrimp...

• SRC Member
set up 2 crab trap, after 1 nite... found 10 pcs of baby shrimp...

What should I do ?? :(

Know I can put tragger fish... but I have clam and a few shrimp in my tank....

pls help................ :erm:

is it mantis or pistol? pistol is the one with one big and one small claw.

Mantis shrimp has been known as "thumbsplitters" as people who try to touch them with bare hands get struck so hard until they bleed.

And there are reports of mantis shrimp shattering tank glasses with their hammer like appendages

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
clear everything in your tank and restart...with so many mantis caught, u won't now how many are left inside..better be careful...gotta take out all the LRs and dip in freshwater, if u want also can boil them...KILL KILL KILL!!!

i dun think it is feasible to restart juz becos he caught a lot of mantis shrimp.

• Sponsor

it may or may not kill all crabs and shrimps as they are all quite hardy, but high salinity will also kill all the beneficial stuff in your live rock. usually, with time and introduction of fishes, most of the crabs and mantis will be killed.

if its still at cycling stage, just let it run, put the traps to trap the crabs, and it should be quite clean. its impossible to kill all of it, there are many holes in the liverock.

• SRC Member

Just to share. I took all my LR out and bake it under the sun for an hour but my mantis shrimp survived.

It is either very hardy or it has been hidden in the sand bed.

Soaking your LR in tap water or high salinity water is not a good idea. Since, they are small, you should get there natural predator like Sunrise Dottyback or any other Dottyback or Wrasse.

After getting rid of the small one, you better start looking for the big ones. There cannot be small mantis without big ones.

• SRC Member

I have been fighting to catch the mantis shrimp in my tank for almost 1 1/2 year, it killed many of my new and sesoned fished in my tank. I have even ordered from the States special trap to catch him, this creature is so smart that if you failed to catch him the first time, it will be 100 times harder to catch it later. advises from many expects is to catch it (them) AT ALL COST.

Since you have son many babies in your tank, you must eradicat the mother even if you have to restart your whole tank in order to have a peace of mind in the future.

Happy mantis shrimps harvesting!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Chipson1

• SRC Member

it is not very possible for the mantis to spawn and capable for the young to grow up till that size in captive. they are very territorial and mostly likely to turn cannibalism if starve without food.

in that case, mostly it means that the young mantises are already in the rock when you bought it.

a few way, use their natural predator,

let them kill themselve if you have the time to wait. 1mth - 2mth of isolation plus circulation.

when they are bigger, stab them to death.