Coralife UV

AhLoon

Dear all,

This may sound stupid, but in my haste to fix up the coralife 6x sterilizer, i did not check if the uv light is working before fixing up.

Now that everything is hooked up and running, I am not sure if the uv is in operation. I dread the notion of dismantling everything to test the uv tubes... According to the description at the back of the box, it states that there is supposed to be a glow on the main body of the sterilizer.

I did not observe this at all. Any kind folks out there who'd used this can shed some light on this matter?

• SRC Member

it's not really a glow on the main body. at one end of the tube body there is supposed to be a light that indicates that the UV is on. you can't really "test" the UV... firstly you can't see UV and secondly if you actually look into it you could blind yourself. you have to trust the design that if the bulb is spoilt, the visible indicator light wouldn't come on. then you have to get the UV bulb inside replaced.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
Hi Xperiment 626,

Thanks for taking time to reply. Pardon my ignorance, where is the light at the end of the tube? I can't find any lights or LED at all...

One end u hav the plug wire attached....the other end w/o the wire attached is a tiny piece of translucent plastic. u will be able to c a light glow when uv is operational.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

just checked my 6x sterilizer just now again. No tiny transparent plastic at the other end as described by jd_n.

jd_n: Perhaps yours is the 12x? I did recall seeing something like that on the 12x.

rest: anybody using the 6x got that piece of transparent plastic at the end of the tube?

Anyway, i did the test with the uv tube exposed for half a second. The uv did function. *relieved* What bothers me is the status of the UV that I can't ascertain during normal operation.

just checked my 6x sterilizer just now again. No tiny transparent plastic at the other end as described by jd_n.

jd_n: Perhaps yours is the 12x? I did recall seeing something like that on the 12x.

rest: anybody using the 6x got that piece of transparent plastic at the end of the tube?

Anyway, i did the test with the uv tube exposed for half a second. The uv did function. *relieved* What bothers me is the status of the UV that I can't ascertain during normal operation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

The main body will glow a little due to the uv light from the quartz sleeve - the indication would be, you can see the helix within the body.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

right on... saw it... when living room is in pitch darkness... greenish... Thanks everybody for the response.

I tot there'll be some LED or something to indicate operating status.

Anyway, just to share, water cleared up (dunno is it mental or not) after UV's been in operation for a few days liao...

• SRC Member

Agree....although there are some scepticism on the use of uv, it did help in some improvements on my tank too.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread