Question on Power Supply

triggerfish

• SRC Member

in the process of planning for a 2nd tank but worry about the power supply ...

have 2 power points along the same stretch of wall so i guess these 2 points are definitely in parallel ...

currently on one side of the wall .... have a chiller 450 watts, MH 150 watts, MD40 65 watts along with twin T5, some ehiems pumps .....

in the process, thought of using MH 250 watts, chiller 450 watts, MD 55 along with a tunze etc

total wattage of these 2 power points would add up to about 2000 watts ......

any danger in overloading ???? any gurus can advise on this?

• SRC Member
Watts divided voltage = Ampere

Assume 2000watt divded 230 volt = 8.7 amp

You must not exceed 13amp better 10amp to play save.

Hope that will help.

thanks Bob, but presume that all eqpt are to start up at the same time (although unlikely) will that exceed??? As i have the impression that the start-up will usually consume higher power, i may be wrong ....

• SRC Member

thanks Bob, but presume that all eqpt are to start up at the same time (although unlikely) will that exceed??? As i have the impression that the start-up will usually consume higher power, i may be wrong ....

Its Not a problem for lighting as they Starter (flouricent) or Ignitor (mh) to help the surge, As for chiller , they also have some device like a contactor or invertor to help the start up surge.

Should not be a problem to start all at once if all them add up do not exceed 10 amp .

• SRC Member

my only advice is u r giong to draw 10amps....gaurantee those multiplugs that u use will be very very hot...go for good brands of multiplugs such as duraplugs(almost extinct) or mk. damn solid these 2 because these haf very good internal connections and use pure copper to lower resistance.

if u use lousy ones...poor copper quality and poor internal connections=increased resistance=increased heat output=plug gets hot=resistance increase=plug gets hotter=resistance gets higher....... u can see where i'm driving at rite?

btw...check how much current yr circuit breaker box can take before it cuts off.

yr fish tank draw 10amps already....scarlee one dae u invite people over....on tv on air con on radio on computer on lights on fans not to mention fridge also on...if more than wat the circuit breaker can take then byebye!...trip!