Beautiful Zoanthids (button Polyps)

Ricordia

Ricordia ..besides posting the pics..

.want to give us a short writeup on the zoanthids? And how to care for them....that shld be the purpose for the pics to be posted leh...

post-7-1062082497.jpg

• SRC Member
Ricordia ..besides posting the pics..

.want to give us a short writeup on the zoanthids? And how to care for them....that shld be the purpose for the pics to be posted leh...

Class: Anthozoa

Subclass: Zoantharia

Order Zoanthidea

Family: Zoanthidae

Genus: Zoanthus, Palythoa, Protopalythoa, Isaurus, Sphenopus, Parazoanthus, Epizoanthus, Acrozoanthus

common species: Z. sociatus, pulchellus, pacificus, mantoni. vietnamensis, coppingeri, and others

P. grandis, caribaeorum, complanata, variabilis, grandiflora, mammillosa, toxica, and others P. mutuki, and others P. swiftii, parasiticus, axinellae, gracilis, dichroicus, and others I. tuberculatus, and others S. marsupialis, and others

Common names: sea mats, button polyps, colonial polyps, colonial anemones

What exactly is a zoanthid? They are not a stony coral, though they are a hexacoral. They are not an anemone, though they are soft bodied anthozoans.

They are not a soft coral (octocoral) as they do not have eight tentacled polyps. They grow in vast legions in a matter most unbefitting any respectable predatory coral or anemone. In fact, being predatory seems almost below them...a lower class sort of thing in terms of invertebrate etiquette. Colorfully basking in the sun like so many bodies at South Beach, these interesting and hardy mats of polyps share more than a few similar traits.

:)

Class: Anthozoa

Subclass: Zoantharia

Order Zoanthidea

Family: Zoanthidae

Genus: Zoanthus, Palythoa, Protopalythoa, Isaurus, Sphenopus, Parazoanthus, Epizoanthus, Acrozoanthus

common species: Z. sociatus, pulchellus, pacificus, mantoni. vietnamensis, coppingeri, and others

P. grandis, caribaeorum, complanata, variabilis, grandiflora, mammillosa, toxica, and others P. mutuki, and others P. swiftii, parasiticus, axinellae, gracilis, dichroicus, and others I. tuberculatus, and others S. marsupialis, and others

Common names: sea mats, button polyps, colonial polyps, colonial anemones

What exactly is a zoanthid? They are not a stony coral, though they are a hexacoral. They are not an anemone, though they are soft bodied anthozoans.

They are not a soft coral (octocoral) as they do not have eight tentacled polyps. They grow in vast legions in a matter most unbefitting any respectable predatory coral or anemone. In fact, being predatory seems almost below them...a lower class sort of thing in terms of invertebrate etiquette. Colorfully basking in the sun like so many bodies at South Beach, these interesting and hardy mats of polyps share more than a few similar traits.

:)

thanks...good info.... :)

for those who wans to see more jaw-dropping zoos....visit Reef Central Online and see the tank of the month......drooooooool.......................... something different from the SPS tank we see here..... :whistle

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/totm/index.htm.

for those who wans to see more jaw-dropping zoos....visit Reef Central Online and see the tank of the month......drooooooool.......................... something different from the SPS tank we see here..... :whistle

:lol::lol::lol::lol: thats is one beautiful tank and we have to admit that

give us a break man spider...go replicate a tank like the one in RC's TOTM if u think it's no big deal... i mean this forum is for discussion and for us to learn, but what i see from is alot of sarcasm from u which really isn't gonna be helpful at all.... even if your tank's really that good, dun see a need for u to brag abt it. i would suppose most people would agree that the mucho tank is indeed nice and so, why should u put it down??? jealous???

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

i wish to have IT ~~~ hahaha very very nice :)

• SRC Member

Thanks DeepBlue!

That is a very beautiful tank! :wub: Keeping softies can be very satisfying too.

Don't you just wish those buttons are available locally? Maybe someday, some LFS will bring them in ... *hint hint* :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Very nice..........

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

That will be the first house on my list IF I am going to house-break.

Hehe.... :pirate:

• SRC Member

Nice.... Are these suitable for the beginner? I read that they are hardy, requires moderate light and water flow. But the difficult part is they require feeding with bbs. How do you feed them?

Also, read in another thread of this guy who has a bunch of zoanthids that doen't open...can't remember where I saw that thread.

Anyone can provide any advise on how to care for them?

Thanks.