DIYed beckett Skimmer

ZeRoC00l

Like I always say, it takes months to design something but only seconds for some unethical person to pirate and copy it.

i am totally with you on this one bro :)

back to skimmers, my train of thought is that there is no point to compare equipment on face value be because like i am going to say again, what is best for one situation may not be best for another.

just like if a bro here shows a picture of his water returns from his pump and another comes along and says...."my water returns in a day what you have in a week...."

but actually the bro with the picture is only running a small tank whereas the latter one is running a large tank....

which is why i find comparing skimmate shots really meaningless, does it mean if i pour tons of fish food in my system and and my skimmer chuns out gallons and gallons of skimmate and yet nitrates is 100ppm, means that my skimmer is better than another skimmer who churns out less skimmate but nitrates is 0.something PPM?

context is the key word for comparison lor, otherwise, it's pointless and unfair to say this skimmer is better or that skimmer is better...

that is why i would prefer people to say things like:

"I think this skimmer cannot make it because it cannot handle my system/loading condition"

rather than

"I think this skimmer cannot make it (and thus it is a lousy skimmer)"

as long as the skimmer can meet one's requirements or even have capacity for more, why worry that there is a better skimmer elsewhere? :)

• SRC Member

i am totally with you on this one bro :)

back to skimmers, my train of thought is that there is no point to compare equipment on face value be because like i am going to say again, what is best for one situation may not be best for another.

just like if a bro here shows a picture of his water returns from his pump and another comes along and says...."my water returns in a day what you have in a week...."

but actually the first bro is only running a small tank whereas the latter one is running a large tank....

which is why i find comparing skimmate shots really meaningless, does it mean if i pour tons of fish food in my system and and my skimmer chuns out gallons and gallons of skimmate and yet nitrates is 100ppm, means that my skimmer is better than another skimmer who churns out less skimmate but nitrates is 0.something PPM?

context is the key word for comparison lor, otherwise, it's pointless and unfair to say this skimmer is better or that skimmer is better...

that is why i would prefer people to say things like:

"I think this skimmer cannot make it because it cannot handle my system/loading condition"

rather than

"I think this skimmer cannot make it (and thus it is a lousy skimmer)"

as long as the skimmer can meet one's requirements or even have capacity for more, why worry that there is a better skimmer elsewhere? :)

well like i say lor.. if want black skimmate go for weipro la... confirm pic tell a thousand word to alot of ppls ma..

my less then $100 weipro can get BLACK SKIMMATE leh.. your $2-5K skimmate can have that or not... :lol:

ok lah....

to make things even easier:

if zerocool gets only this amount of skimmate in a week as in the pics he show but yet his nitrates are very low = good skimmer for him liao

if cookie's customers gets many many many many times this amount of skimmate but yet their nitrates are very low = good skimmer for them liao

but

if zerocool gets only this amount of skimmate in a week as in the pics he show but yet his nitrates still significant = not good enough for his system (inadequate)

if cookie's customers gets many many many many times this amount of skimmate but yet their nitrates are still significant = not good enough for their systems (inadequate)

bottomline: dun place too much emphasis on skimmate, go check your water :)

• SRC Member

Alanseah I have no idea what you are talking about. The points you listed out are what I said as a rhetoric to what roidan said. Meaning it was written as an exaggeration to illustrate that neutral stand is not suitable here. I think I got 'dai gou' (generation gap) with you. :lol:

Anyway before this gets blown out of proportion, I take everything back. Zerocool got an excellent skimmer with excellent skimmate thats just great for his tank. :rolleyes:

Roidan lets stay away from this thread before it goes out of proportion. I think we've all aired our views sufficiently already. Can lim kopi to talk ###### more about it if necessary. This forum not safe to comment. Will kena wack left right centre.

The winner is alanseah with his weipro. :lol::peace:

yeah lor....

as long as zerocool has a skimmer that is adequate for his system, let's all be happy for him :)

just like if one day i post say my camry uses a tank of petrol in a week, i will also get confuse if another bro say his car (even if also a camry) uses a tank of petrol in a month :lol:

usage differs, that's why end-result differs..hehehe

ok, let's move on :)

• SRC Member

yes I win... sorry lor I too young only 16 yr old ma waiting for my O level result.. must forgive..

thanx Cookiemunster...

maybe like that since u also agree to it.. let not talk about beckette anymore.. or have anymore DIY on beckette..

Let start looking into weipro and see can make it even cheaper and better or not..

Cookiemunster on or not...

yes I win... sorry lor I too young only 16 yr old ma waiting for my O level result.. must forgive..

thanx Cookiemunster...

maybe like that since u also agree to it.. let not talk about beckette anymore.. or have anymore DIY on beckette..

Let start looking into weipro and see can make it even cheaper and better or not..

Erm sounds like me :lol::lol::lol:

anyway i myself :off::off:

• SRC Member

thanx Cookiemunster...

yeah actually i've been thinking about disposable skimmers. No need to clean skimmate.

Can call it the plastic bag skimmer. hahaha definitely cheaper than weipro. Can use more bags to increase efficiency too. that way when someone else says can skim better you just need to increase to 1000 bags and beat him hands down. :lol:

• SRC Member

yeah actually i've been thinking about disposable skimmers. No need to clean skimmate.

Can call it the plastic bag skimmer. hahaha definitely cheaper than weipro. Can use more bags to increase efficiency too. that way when someone else says can skim better you just need to increase to 1000 bags and beat him hands down. :lol:

"Like that, wont us humans be a little lazy? :( hehe..

well...the theory of "Martial Arts" resurface.."

Congrats to ZeroCool tat your skimmer is up to your mark. Wish you all the best! :angel:

End of comments!

Ancelot out! :peace:

• SRC Member
pls la.. any given skimmer also can have foam.. so long it's salt water and correct SG level given.. that also explain why skimmer cant be use in fresh water fish tank even the tank also got N03 wa..

Anyway, for those who want to know that there IS a fresh water skimmer around. Peace :angel:

http://www.aqua-sander.de/index.en.html

Acroporidea its best if you stay out of this and don't try to stir up any flames which you are so fond of. I am not saying not to give other DIYers any chance. I am not so stupid to do that....so please don't try to stir up any fire here. I was sincere in my friendship with you but you screwed it up and treated me like an idiot. Anyway I have seen through you and I don't wish to drag our personal quarrels here

u sure u are my fren? what do u mean that i stir up flames? why so sensitive?

n why do u treat me like u hate me so much? Sincere? when i told u i was coming over to your place to fix the Le-kalk u built, u shunned me off, did u? after that, i called u and u simply dun reply/ answer. y?

u said i changed my mind frequently etc.... but u didn't listen to what i wanted. dun talk abt frenship, talk abt being your customer. I was always telling ppl that your pdts are great. infact, till today i still do. I even address u as diy guru.

whats the matter actually? unresolvable isit? r u going to shun me even when we happen to meet at the lfs? we dun need to be like this.

and my comments was not targeting u, if u choose to think so, i dun need to explain too. becos, abt being a sincere fren, i think we are both off the mark. and i dun know why?

all the best to your sales and best regds to u. happy new year, fren.

• SRC Member

:huh:

Wat the?!?!?!

I was in camp for 1 week and my thread become like tt...... :angry:

Come on ppl, I just giving my opinion on a certain DIYer beckett performing in my tank :peace:

anyway, i think he did mentioned that he is running on a fisheless tank and only some inverts.....

Yes the above statement is true to a certain degree.. Do U count the following family in my tank heavy stocking??? :blink::blink:

(1) 1" court jester goby

(2) 1.5" flame

(3) 2 tuxido urchin 1" body w/o spikes

(4) 4 turbo snails 1"

(5) 1 abalone 2"

(6) 1 sally light foot 2"

I set my skimmer to be a bit wet skimming, so it's more watery. Mostly flowed into my collection milk bottle :sick::sick:

No offence taken Mr Cookiemunster, though i can see Y got so many ppl "shoot" U becos of yr statement... kinda a bit open ended for ppl to criticise :pinch:

No offence I didnlt get your's cos I only a NSF, so budget plays a HUGE consideration. And given my limited room, i went for what my $$ can buy best. B)

U've seen my "small" tank so can't compare to yr other customers who keeps multiple tangs, wrasse, clowns, angels, etc :yeah: Beautiful and HUGE!!!!

For my ~70gal tank (including sump), I am happy getting this much gunk out looking at my small crews :P Can't imagine what yr customers are getting in their beckett. I'm already disgusted with what i have to clean from my tank in a week... can't imagine they have to dirty their hands almost every other day.... :sick::sick::sick:

Cheers ppl. Just a reefer giving his opinion on a DIY skimmer. :peace:

• SRC Member
zerocool dude, ever tot of running the skimmer a bit wetter? its more efficient and more nutrients being removed from the water :)

I do run it wet... my 1.5L milk bottle 3/4 full of greenish water, these pic are the sludges i clean from the riser :sick:

Lucky I got a bad nose.. can't smell most things.. :pinch:

• SRC Member
In this case I suggest you try to clean it on a more regular basis so your skimmer will run more efficiently.

I wish i can, but I'm only home once a week... now in NS... so bo bian... let the skimmer over work a bit.

Let it skim wetter skimmate so less gunk build up, and feed less <_<