Zeovit effects.

weileong

The small colony I bought sometime in Nov....

tuned towards brown....but colouring up recently as it gets used to the T5s and Zeovit system.

But polyp extension not as great as initally when I introduced it into the tank....

Any reason?

post-22-1102993113.jpg

tuned towards brown....but colouring up recently as it gets used to the T5s and Zeovit system.

But polyp extension not as great as initally when I introduced it into the tank....

Any reason?

wow very power !

I noticed that the polyps on my SPS extends more than what they were 1-2 months ago. I think the zeovit system has lowered the nutrients levels.

Here's another stag that is morphing its coloration .....not much growth though under the 20KK

even the big colony Moron_clown passed to me in the back ground (was dark green) has lightened in coloration

post-22-1102994959.jpg

How's your NO3 and PO4 reading now and what's your zeostart amount you are dosing and how frequently?

I guess new tank really so much easier to drop the nutrients as there's no pooled nutrients especially for my case all stuck in the DSB :P

Wow $10, very good deal :blink:

I have yet to get myself a PO4 testkit.... :paiseh:

I just shake the zeovit medium twice a day.... alternate days...I'll add zeobak and zofood once a week....

I have stopped zeostart...gave me red slime and algae problem...

Into my 12week...going to get new medium and testkit soon once I test the water this week.

New tank got problem with getting rid of the initial PO4. BUt I guess a tank with DSB will take a much longer time to see results.... but the colorations of your acros are stunning leh....love the hot pink milepora!!!

I am going to burn my LPS and SPS with 250W MH soon...so took some pix to compare expected coloration shift with the new lights (got to aclimatise them to the new lights)

Here's my PO4 readings. Problem with high PO4 readings as they were released from the DSB, my sponge used for killing the micro bubbles released very black water when I wash them once a week, I eventually switched to washing once every 3 days. After almost one month of hard work I only need to wash once a week during water changes and the color is very light brown water only. I guess the nutrients levels are much lower now. My pair of clownfish also spawn and they really mess up the DSB which also released all those wasted accumulated in it.

The high PO4 reading might also be due to insufficient amount of zeostart that was dosed. Was only dosing 2ml/once every 2 days previously. Now I switched to 4ml daily. The problem was using salifert test kit, I can't really tell if PO4 readings are dropping so eventually I bite the bullet and got a hanna PO4 meter. With this I can see the PO4 reading and adjust the dosing for the zeostart.

Date: Zeostart dose PO4 reading with PO4 meter

30/11/04 4 ml 0.22ppm

1/12/04 4 ml

2/12/04 5 ml 0.19ppm

3/12/04 5 ml 0.17ppm

4/12/04 5 ml

5/12/04 5 ml 0.17ppm

6/12/04 5 ml 0.15ppm

7/12/04 6 ml 0.15ppm

8/12/04

9/12/04 0.13ppm

10/12/04

11/12/04 4 ml

12/12/04 5 ml 0.10ppm

13/12/04 3 ml 0.11ppm

No dose of zeostart from 8/12 to 10/12 due to some acros showing thinning of tips.

So far looking pretty good and on the right track. Hope to achieve stage 3 end in 1-2 month's time. Already started zeovit for 3 months already :P

yup...hoping to see more results.... alot of reefers asked me about zeovit but too early to really comment..... still cant attribute small successes to anything yet hor :nc:

I agree too early to tell the full effects of zeovit.

I am resisting the urge to use rowaphos or any other methods to reduce the PO4. Slowly dose zeostart and let the bacterial do their work.

For those that wants results overnight then zeovit is not for them :P

Despite the high PO4 reading, there is no algae outbreak, the PO4 test kit only test for inorganic PO4.

The fuel for algae are organic PO4 and my guess is that the organic PO4 level in my reef is still very low. This means that the zeovit system is currently purging out those pooled nutrients in my reef.

• SRC Member

DB, from what limited time I have running with ZEOvit, I can safely say that the Zeovit stuff works when properly used according to the guide. I am also learning that as the tank gets less and less nutrient laden and more of the pooled stuff gets used up, the necessary dosage of start/bac/food needs to be trimmed back.

For example my dosage of ZEOstart has progressed from 4ml/daily to 0.5ml/2 days. This is maintain the PO4 at undetectable levels via Testkit.

Its starting to look good but we all need time to learn how to monitor the corals for signs of overdosing. I didnt monitor it closely enuff and was 'rewarded' with an outbreak of cyano which is still persisting but receeding slowly now.

:)

Any reason?

Wah super colour change..... ;););) dun worry lah this species polyp extension quite little one...

• SRC Member
I'm quite glad that this acro didn't turn brown after @ 2 months. I heard that this fellow is tough to keep its colour

It's either I am very fortunate to get a very hardy fellow that doesn't change colour or the zeovit system works (in this instance ;) )

:bow::bow::bow:

prestine condition must have been the reason for such retained and vibrant colouration and not luck.... luck is if u get a cheap price for a nice and/or colony :P

yeah, heard as well that its hard to retain colouration for pink tables, i myself are left w 2 colonies that lost its vibrant colours. any secrets? btw, r u in zeovit system as well?

• SRC Member
I'm quite glad that this acro didn't turn brown after @ 2 months. I heard that this fellow is tough to keep its colour

It's either I am very fortunate to get a very hardy fellow that doesn't change colour or the zeovit system works (in this instance ;) )

That is stunning colour, even after 2 months. :shock::shock:

Great job.

Linkinpark, wow very very nice table even after 2 months.

Stage 1 refers to just starting the zeovit system where the nutrient level is high and you are trying to get your corals to the enviroment where the nutrients level are dropping.

Stage 2 refers to a low nutrient enviroment where there still still binned nutrients in the reef system and you are still reducing/exporting the binned nutrients with the zeovit system. At this stage you will still be dosing zeostart to keep the PO4 and NO3 at undetectable levels.

Stage 3 refers to the state of your reef tank has reached a stage of low nutrient enviroment where the conditions are like in the natural. All the binned nutrients has been removed and you do not need or need just very little zeostart to keep the PO4 and NO3 at undetectable levels by testkits. The bacterial population would be able to keep the PO4 and NO3 at undetectable levels and the system has reach a stage where it is able to export all the imported PO4 and NO3.

This is how I understand, the experts here might like to correct me if I am wrong.