3ft sps tank.

• SRC Member
wat lightings would be the best for sps for 3 ft? one 250W sufficient?

intending to have a CR,FR and a good skimmer.already have a chiller.

any other equipment that i need to add?

wats the best i can get for 3-3.5k budget including tank+sump+cabinet.

hmm... how bout a tank dimension like ML display... will look quite cool leh! :)

then the lightings if u cant decide, find a Giga MH like that too, the main bulb be 250W + a supplement bulb in the same housing 150W 20KK... that way, u can get the best of both world... the onli issue is money loh...

wats the depth of ur tank gonna to be? if 2 ft deep, dun tink 2X150W enuff for sps, u will hav limited height constraints for ur sps... maybe u can DIY 1X150W + 1X250W loh... then u can do some appropriate rockscaping n place sps on the 250W area or inbetween 250W n 150W area... then place softies on the 150W side... this is gonna look great ;)... u get ur intensity (250W for the sps) n more spread of lights (2XMH)... :)

else, 2X250W wld be the best :)

btw, tink might as well set up a refugium loh instead of sump ;)

• SRC Member
tank dimension like ML display i find would be very difficult for maintenance lehz.. so narrow the opening..

hm.. was thinking that if i run a good skimmer..say deltec apf600.. can work without DSB and refugium?

haha... perhaps tell us wat r ur initial plans first loh.... wat type of tank dimensions u aiming at?

come on! turn us on! :evil:

• SRC Member

got a 3x3 ft space to play with.. gotta squeeze everything inside..

planning for a 3x2x2 ft tank + sump + external overflow behind the tank.

use back my oceanfree chiller..

skimmer (planning deltec. maybe beckett or HnS) any recommendations?

CR and FR.

lightings still dunno want T5s or MH..

budget is arnd 3 - 3.5k la.. dunno can be done anotz...

btw. lets say i use live aragonite sand + my old live rocks and water. + the use of those bottled bacterias.. do i still need to cycle the tank?

• SRC Member
got a 3x3 ft space to play with.. gotta squeeze everything inside..

planning for a 3x2x2 ft tank + sump + external overflow behind the tank.

use back my oceanfree chiller..

skimmer (planning deltec. maybe beckett or HnS) any recommendations?

CR and FR.

lightings still dunno want T5s or MH..

budget is arnd 3 - 3.5k la.. dunno can be done anotz...

btw. lets say i use live aragonite sand + my old live rocks and water. + the use of those bottled bacterias.. do i still need to cycle the tank?

If possible go for a 3 X 2.5 X 2 for more scaping depth

U can fit most of yr equipment under yr tank in / outside sump.

IMO: skip the FR, just hand yr rowas/ carbon in a filter bag in a high flow area :lol:

Get the best $$ U can afford for the skimmer tt can fit under yr tank (HnS /Deltec / ER), a beckett would perhaps be too tall to fit under yr tank :unsure:

===> Yes, U still need to cycle a while... maybe a shorter period.. dun quote me on this. Alwways test the water perimemters

suggest tt U do a bit of washing of yr old live sand w/ old salt water to wash away as much distrus as possible.... U'll get one hell of a dirt storm... (excuse my language)

• SRC Member

initial plans was for a 3x2.5x2 but i will need to fit my chiller into this space as well which is about 1 ft.. even if can fit into the tank the temperature would also be an issue if kept in the cabinet 2gther with sump correct?

yeah. skip the FR, good idea..

• SRC Member
initial plans was for a 3x2.5x2 but i will need to fit my chiller into this space as well which is about 1 ft.. even if can fit into the tank the temperature would also be an issue if kept in the cabinet 2gther with sump correct?

yeah. skip the FR, good idea..

Not sure abt the orientation of the chiller you;re using, but some ppl keep their chiller in their cabinate.

They position the output hot air at a hole cut into the side, some even install a large fan to suck out the air from inside the cabinate.

U can try tt, but still best to place in a open free flowing air area

• SRC Member

the sound of the fan(to draw out the hot air) and the chiller when kicked in will be rather loud then? if its in the cabinet?

i placed my chiller outside and its best that you can position it in such a way to direct the hot air towards the window/balcony.

• SRC Member

Some rough sums to guide you along:

3X2X2 tank, cabinet, sump- $1400+

1 X MH 250w - $300 (ballast, spider, bulb)

H&S skimmer - $800

Total $2500

2X controllable tunzes- $1000 (optional)

All within your max budget $3500

I will go with H&S - simple setup, small footprint, low running costs, proven

capability

Hope this helps

• SRC Member

Think he already has the LR.

Deltecs are not cheap. Might limit your budget for the other equipment.

H&S looks good. Also, a single 250w should cover your 3 ft spread (except maybe the fringe but hey thats where you will put your power heads, right?)

• SRC Member
alamak all the money on equipment then livestock how?

:lol: tot of it too... sell of my existing MH, LPS, etc etc to raise funds for some sps colonies.. but also not so soon la... still need to wait for tank to settle..

haha maybe sell off my dog... :lol: just joking..

current estimate

tank-1k

CR and skimmer 1.5k

lights - 600

1 x tunze - 400

total 3.5k

wonder whether can compromise 1 x tunze + my exsisting seio820 instead of 2 tunzes.. if can then swee swee..

another thing.. which setup is cheaper and better in terms of PH stability. want as little fluctuation as possible.

1) CR with second chamber + CO2 ( estimated cost - 1K)

2) CR + CO2 with PH controller (estimated cost anyone??)