Xenia melting!!!!!

chinmo

• SRC Member

I got a brown xenia too...

problem is there is a big and a small xenia attached to a base rock..

The big xenia is doing fine..but the small xenia does not want to erect..

How ah? I saw the polyps is still opening and closing..but it just does not want to erect leh.. :erm:

• SRC Member
I got a brown xenia too...

problem is there is a big and a small xenia attached to a base rock..

The big xenia is doing fine..but the small xenia does not want to erect..

How ah? I saw the polyps is still opening and closing..but it just does not want to erect leh.. :erm:

can someone help me?? same problem with chinmo :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
For mine the hands are open all the time. Is this bad? BTW, are all the branches pulse synchonously? Meaning they open and close at the same time? What is the frequency? Every second?

Wow... that will be the sight to behold.

very difficult to explain

see this... my old brown xenia... spread like weeds... each hand can open and close at regular/irregular intervals..... white xenias from my experience are more of a pain in the a**..... brown xenias tend tofair much better

post-71-1105596941.jpg

• SRC Member

xenia needs strong light but moderate currents.

Both my white and brown mulitplied like crazy in such a condition.

I only dose 4 drops of KM lugol's solution on a weekly ritual. The bottle last me more than 3 months.

When you see them melting, it is advisable to remove them as they are toxic to the aquarium water.

If like the condition of BG's white xenia, still have hope by putting them in the right conditions and water parameters. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
see this... my old brown xenia... spread like weeds... each hand can open and close at regular/irregular intervals..... white xenias from my experience are more of a pain in the a**..... brown xenias tend tofair much better

Wow...that's a beautiful Xenia. BTW, why do you say that "white xenias from my experience are more of a pain in the a**..... brown xenias tend tofair much better".

Is it because white xenia spread very fast or what?

• SRC Member

Wow...that's a beautiful Xenia. BTW, why do you say that "white xenias from my experience are more of a pain in the a**..... brown xenias tend tofair much better".

Is it because white xenia spread very fast or what?

my white xenias tend not to do well even though my brown xenias are multiplying like crazy <_<

• SRC Member

my white xenias tend not to do well even though my brown xenias are multiplying like crazy <_<

no pics to show leh, as i kept them under the clam tub, can't get a gd shot, the t5 light reflection very strong. <_< but iit is erceted liao, with very few polyps pulsing... ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

White xenias will turn brown if lighting is too yellow (Eg. around 6500K)

Xenias tend to grow better if different specimens are grown together.

Xenia growth can be accelerated by fragging leather corals in the same water.

White xenia does well even in nutrient poor sps tanks.

Pulsing has alot to do with the pH level.

My frag collection perished on one day when temperature was a little high. They started melting at the base and could'nt even be saved via fragging. Try your best to keep temperatures below 28 degrees celcius. Mine reached close to 29 degrees during the warm season and it was enough to stress them to crash.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

i think its the chemicals realeased my the leather... actually the corals book by eric borneman did say something about growing xenias with toadstoal leathers ;)

maybe i can give it a try

heres and update today... some polyps started pulsing :)

post-71-1105704270.jpg