Aquaz Phytoplankton

vagabond

hey guys...tried the aquaz phyto for about 2weeks and find the results very good...

my observations are that the sps polyp extensions are very good and my white xenia is paulsing very fast..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

live 'L' stain rotifer.

intend to pack them in 500ml bag, abt 100rotifer/ml. Min is 500ml.

Price at abt 20 bucks(not confirm). Of course more order price will drop.

1) DeepBlue (thanks for offering this ;) )

2)

3)

4)

5)

• SRC Member
live 'L' stain rotifer.

intend to pack them in 500ml bag, abt 100rotifer/ml. Min is 500ml.

Price at abt 20 bucks(not confirm). Of course more order price will drop.

1) DeepBlue (thanks for offering this ;) )

2)

3)

4)

5)

Live Rotifers is selling like hot cakes in US..... :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

I am keen to give Alpha Premium® Phytoplankton a try...

I have a 3 feet mixed reef (LPS and Softies) ... which type of Alpha Premium® Phytoplankton is suitable? I understand that there are the following types:

Classic Blend - Nannochloropsis sp.

Classic Blend - Thalassiosira Weissflogii

Classic Blend - Isochrysis sp.

Classic Blend - Tetraselmis sp.

Classic Blend - Pavlova sp.

Supreme Blend (for herbivourous corals only)

Currently I am using DT ... now looking for other alternative.

CHEERS!

Rocks

Hi Rocks,

For a all round feed you should go for the supreme blend (red cap) , but if usage is little - pure nanno (green cap) will be better since it can be stored frozen up to a year.

You won't find the other classic single strains in the shops - we only send them out on request basis as these have limited shelf life(usually 3mths) and are mainly for larvae culture or culturing/enrichment of other animals.

If its the first time you use aquaz phytoplankton - pls use less than other products that you have tried. 1ml feeds 100gal ;) starting with half dosage to get the filtration used to it.(ard 2-3 times a week)

The phyto is non-viable(non-live) but it is concentrated and is pure. No fertilizers,No preservatives,with better value for money.

• SRC Member
Hi Rocks,

For a all round feed you should go for the supreme blend (red cap) , but if usage is little - pure nanno (green cap) will be better since it can be stored frozen up to a year.

You won't find the other classic single strains in the shops - we only send them out on request basis as these have limited shelf life(usually 3mths) and are mainly for larvae culture or culturing/enrichment of other animals.

If its the first time you use aquaz phytoplankton - pls use less than other products that you have tried. 1ml feeds 100gal ;) starting with half dosage to get the filtration used to it.(ard 2-3 times a week)

The phyto is non-viable(non-live) but it is concentrated and is pure. No fertilizers,No preservatives,with better value for money.

OK. will give it the supreme blend a try.

by the way, what is the retail price for the supreme blend ?

thanks !

CHEERS!

Rocks

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi.how do you actually ise this...i got myself a bottle and i only mixed a tiny bit on my tank. 1ml seems to be like a teaspoon for me....or am i wrong?? do i dilute 1ml of it with 250ml of my tank water before pouring it into the tank?? :ph34r:

:) 1ml would be for 100gallons tank volume (safely for a moderate 4ft reef)

1 teaspoon is 5ml, maybe for smaller tanks u actually use the end of the teaspoon(the handle part) and mix with a cup of tank water (any amount of your choice).

No hard rules abt mixing water, just scoop a little(half cup or so)

all pharmacies sells 1ml syringes for abt 30 cents.(used for diabetic), just use the syringe (without the needle).

pls do not use 1 teaspoon, unless its a 10ft tank reef tank.

or The tank will turn green, skimmer will be working overtime and take 24-48hrs to clear, Depending on the skimmer effiency.

(we have tested all tank feeding scenarios of overfeeding) :)

Yes you can,but Because there are no preservatives in it there will be a limited shelf life if kept liquid.

If kept in the fridge (temp usually 6c-8c) the shelf life will be 3 months.

If kept frozen - it will be good for a year.

(only nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis strains can be frozen)

You could thaw by leaving bottle in the fridge overnight and keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or mix a little of the frozen with new salt water (ready to use phyto mixture) and keep in the fridge and use this mixture within 7-10days for tank feeding etc.

By thawing it in the fridge and refreezing once or twice will not affect the product, but try to keep this to a minimum just to portion it.

Due to the high concentration of algae with very little water and tough oculata cell walls is the reason this can be done.

Lab test has shown that after thawing & freezing 10 times, there is minimal cell damage.(but we advise that you do not try the extremes).

Hope it helps

Aquaz

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Finally, i have some time to do this review..... :lol:

Been using the Aquaz brand of frozen Phytoplankton to feed my rotifers. I found that its an extremely economical way of sustaining my cultures given that every 2-3 days I need to feed the rotifers (they are quite voracious :ph34r: ).

Just to give u guys an idea how economical it is, I have started my cultures for almost 3 weeks, but I havent had the chance to even finish one bottle of phyto yet! And it only costs $10+! I predict its gonna last me at least 3 months! :lol:

Basically I followed the steps listed in the Aquaz Rotifer culture guide. You can find them here Rotifer Guide. For me, I thaw e bottle first, scoop a teaspoon out and mix the phyto in approximately 1L of saltwater and store it the fridge. This bottle can be used to feed the rotifers for about a week.....

This is a tricky review. I was thinking of showing a rotifer capturing a phyto and eating it, but I guess that is impossible :ph34r: .

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

In any case, here are the pictures...on the left is the classic blend, which is wat I use to feed the rotifers......

On the right is the supreme blend, you can use this to gut-load the rotifers before feeding to your tank, this is to ensure the rotifers will be fatter when your corals eat them. It means you are indirectly loading your corals with more vitamins and nutrition compared to just feeding the rotifers straight from the culture station. For instructions, just follow the guidelines in the guide *duh* ;)

PS: i had a hard time capturing the true colors of these bottles. Just remember the classic blend is a bright green, whilst the supreme blend is red...

post-68-1104638804.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh in case you guys are wondering what corals eat rotifers, I am referring to SPS corals..... LPS corals eat phyto - u can actually feed your LPS with this blend of phyto too, just mix in SW and add to your tank. Sure beats paying for DT but of cos the latter is live phyto....... :lol:

But since i have never really fed my SPS corals, I can definitely see my corals growing faster. Some of the growth tips extended 0.5cm in 1 week! :yeah:

Of cos live rotifers are better than Golden pearls/cyclopeeze as being live, they dont decompose in your tank before the corals eat them. Hence there is less chance of any cyano developing.....

I like to think that most of the rotifers are eaten soon after they are added, while the rest hang around or walk into an encrusting monti :evil:

• SRC Member
how often u feed yr tank with rotifer?

oh, as and when i feed the rotifers, at the same time i take out some rotifers and feed my tank. About 2-3 days once.

The process goes like this:

1. Harvest rotifers

2. Feed to tank

3. Top up rotifer culture with new SW+phyto ...

;)

oh, as and when i feed the rotifers, at the same time i take out some rotifers and feed my tank. About 2-3 days once.

The process goes like this:

1. Harvest rotifers

2. Feed to tank

3. Top up rotifer culture with new SW+phyto ...

;)

Sorry bro, actually quite confused with LPS n SPS. Is mushroom, leather, polys and leather mushroom = SPS?

I just bought a bottle of nanno, but I just scrap a bit, dissolve in a small dish and pour it into the tank. Or, should I cultivate rotifer as what u do insteads? Pls show us some pic of your "rotifer farm" lah. :thanks:

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

Sorry bro, actually quite confused with LPS n SPS. Is mushroom, leather, polys and leather mushroom = SPS?

those that u hv mentioned r soft corals. ;) try out www.liveaquaria.com for basic identification and classification of corals.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

those that u hv mentioned r soft corals. ;) try out www.liveaquaria.com for basic identification and classification of corals.

Bro, so am I feeding the right way for my soft corals?

BTW have u finished your Japan trip and come back home?

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

Hi Creetin!

May I know where and how much u get the first live rotifers to start with? My culture have crashed sometime ago..... My first batch of live rotifers are flown from US (very ex) that's why never restart after crash.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm