Post your SPS Growth Photos here

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're fast grower when the conditions is right. Look at the coral pic above, can you see a 1cm rim around the edge that looks lighter colour? That's the growth edge I get around every 2/3weeks.

One tip, do not try to mount them using putty, instead wedge your frag into a rock crevice so the growth edge touches the rock. This way it will grow a much stronger base. I didnt do this and my colony has broken off it's mounting point 3 times, each time losing quite bit pieces of 'petal'. It's now just sitting in a hole between 3 pieces of rocks.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Two year's growth:

DSC02044.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

wohoohohohoooo

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

thanks for the compliment, I didn't even know that's valida, any idea what's the id of the first monti, orange and green polyps on purple base, actual color is more intense, my DC can't capture it's true color.

btw I am using weipro 2014 now, plan to upgrade to deltec afp600, will it be a problem for reducing the nutrient too fast? Afraid of too quick change, STN/ RTN is something I don't want.

• SRC Member
thanks for the compliment, I didn't even know that's valida, any idea what's the id of the first monti, orange and green polyps on purple base, actual color is more intense, my DC can't capture it's true color.

btw I am using weipro 2014 now, plan to upgrade to deltec afp600, will it be a problem for reducing the nutrient too fast? Afraid of too quick change, STN/ RTN is something I don't want.

Well, the purple thin branch does look like valida.

:shock::shock: You really don't know what monti is the first one? :shock: Purple base with green polyps in the centre and orange polyps on the edge??? Rainbow monti my friend, take good care of it........ :lol:

Upgrading skimmer doesn't cause problem unlike adding phosphate remover. Think your SPS will love the skimmer upgrade. :D

• SRC Member

I thought it's danae something... rainbow monti sounds great man... I have 2 of it and it was brown, until I add in another 250w phoenix in the center, then it color up and spread like wild fire. it's covering some of my life rock now.

• SRC Member
I thought it's danae something... rainbow monti sounds great man... I have 2 of it and it was brown, until I add in another 250w phoenix in the center, then it color up and spread like wild fire. it's covering some of my life rock now.

Rainbow monti is just the name we give because of its muticlolur polyps. Montipora danae is the scientific name.

• SRC Member

the blue zoo, it's a frag from a friend, only 7-8 polyps when I got it, now there is a whole bunch of it :)

scarab : I search for rainbow monti in RC and they call it superman danae? Any idea why superman? BTW US is selling U$350 for 1" x 2" frag? I got mine in Penang for U$20 only, I bought 4 of them, 2 was brown and 2 was green polyps on white base.

• SRC Member
scarab : I search for rainbow monti in RC and they call it superman danae? Any idea why superman? BTW US is selling U$350 for 1" x 2" frag? I got mine in Penang for U$20 only, I bought 4 of them, 2 was brown and 2 was green polyps on white base.

Rainbow and superman different. Rainbow has green polyps in the centre and orangey red polyps at the growth edge. Superman danae has red polyps throughout (no green). You got Superman danae ah?? :nc:

• SRC Member

ya... I found out superman danae was so name because it has red polyps against blue base, just like superman S logo. I don't superman danae, too bad ;) .

Anyway I got a brown frag last 2 week, at U$20 too, and it turn out to be a tricolor now, slowly coloring up now..

post-22-1113734017.jpg