My humble 3ft - PLEASE ADVICE -

yiling

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

:blink:

IMHO i think during cycling of the new tank, skimmer should not be running at all.........

during cycling we want the bacterias to multiply up............so when the water is so clean how does these bacterias going to multiply leh?

i think in this case u will actually take more time to do ur tank cycling lor.........

however u can try to run any phosphate remover to remove all silicate or phosphate prior to the complete of cycling.........

good luck bro for ur setup........ :rolleyes:

actually logically, u are correct.

but sometimes, especially when im a newbie, and after making so many mistakes....

i rather listen and play it safe.

DB is right... there are 2 schools...haha

thanks for your tip though.... :)

• SRC Member

ya lor............

i mean it is really up to you and see which one u think u are comfortable wif ....

at the end of the day it is still your tank and if u think u are on the correct path so just ignore those arguments upon this and they wont do u good anyway or rather confuse u only......... :rolleyes:

................................................................................

I am actually using MD40 for return only..no T-offs...find the corals do better with greater flow and turnover in the tank.

Just a suggestion .... the cotton wool should be washed every few days to prevent nitrate build-up over there. Seen too many guys have that and have neglected cleaning it ..... (they have great skimmers but forgot some fundamentals)

• SRC Member
I am actually using MD40 for return only..no T-offs...find the corals do better with greater flow and turnover in the tank.

Just a suggestion .... the cotton wool should be washed every few days to prevent nitrate build-up over there. Seen too many guys have that and have neglected cleaning it ..... (they have great skimmers but forgot some fundamentals)

Hi DB, thanks for the tip.

will clean it up soon.

In fact , i was thinking of going for the bigger return pump like 20 or 26. And im going to use the 14 for my chiller.

Still waiting for some cheap deals though...

Anyone seen any good pumps for 2nd hand sale recently ?

• SRC Member

Agreed! And solid wastes after days under rushing water and high water pressure will be dissolved and returned back to your main tank. Such action is undesirable and totally not advisable. So wash your filter well.. otherwise dont use it. Waste of money and time.. ;)

• SRC Member

hi yiling...

how much did u pay for the whole set up?? (excluding the LR and skimmer etc... only tank cabinet and sump tank....)

Hi Deepblue,

this is the photo of the skimmer ..

dunno if its working well ...

what do u think?

eh not sure if you understand the meaning of bubble count..... bubblecount is the density of bubbles in the reacting chamber.. From that pic, can;t really see anything.... All the bubble count in macro skimmer i have see CMI

• SRC Member

eh not sure if you understand the meaning of bubble count..... bubblecount is the density of bubbles in the reacting chamber.. From that pic, can;t really see anything.... All the bubble count in macro skimmer i have see CMI

HI DA, i know what you mean.

what im trying to say is that this macro skimmer of mine is skimming exceptionally well at that moment.

It definitely cant compare with those High end ones.

Does anyone know of anyone selling deltec or HnS ?

Am saving up now...

My pockets has big holes now :(

Hi Des, beautiful rock works. Now just have to make sure the water circulation whithin the tank is ample.

As you already hinted that your are going to use tunze, I think it shouldn't be any problem liao. ;)

Now is also for you to observe and check which part is your low flow area so that you will be able to beaf it up once the tunze are ready. :D

Remember to continue testing for ANN so that you are map out the spike & drop.

Cheers,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hi yiling

nice tank and neat setup :)

Some persoanl opions- I think the scaping with the tonga branches take away from the overall feel of your tank. You might want to dump the tongas into the sump and let them work as filtration agents, clearing up the space for your main display. It looks a bit cramped up for me.

You might also want to consider making a quality skimmer your first priority. That way, you can load up on live stock and wait for the tank to mature before you introduce corals.

A tunze might be a bit strong for you. Be prepared to have your sandbed churned up a bit, and then limit your tunze positioning if neccessary.

Got potential for nice setup here! Keep up the good work, bro :)

HI gouldian, am thinking of either another seio 820 to hang on bottom left or the cheapest tunze 2nd hand that i can afford.

BTW i bought the rio 20

Flow is a little strong ...but think the tank can still handle it.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Hi Des,

Yah, I saw thw new ripples create by the 20hf - its awesome! ;) Looks like your overflow can handle the aditional flows of the 20hf.

The 820 is an good alternative too, if your want the tunze make sure your get the 6060 (cannot control) or the 6000 (controllable) course th2 6080 or the 6100 will be too strong for you. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi yiling

Some persoanl opions- I think the scaping with the tonga branches take away from the overall feel of your tank. You might want to dump the tongas into the sump and let them work as filtration agents, clearing up the space for your main display. It looks a bit cramped up for me.

You might also want to consider making a quality skimmer your first priority. That way, you can load up on live stock and wait for the tank to mature before you introduce corals.

A tunze might be a bit strong for you. Be prepared to have your sandbed churned up a bit, and then limit your tunze positioning if neccessary.

Agree... to me, tunze only necessary unless keeping sps or tank is very big

• SRC Member
Hi yiling

HI riot thanks for the advice !! :D

As you mentioned, those branches added there will be easier for coral's placing when its ready.

I know its cramped, and my sump is already full with LR and sandbed and all.

As for the skimmer, im prepared to go for deltec or h&s at the expense of me eating bread everyday for the next month :sick: :sick: :sick:

As for the tunze, i agree with what u said.

though im not going into sps now, i believe i MIGHT (most probably will )

in the future. So im thinking of a better one to aviod double upgrading.

Am looking at the tunze 6060, seio 1100 or seio 820.

:pirate::pirate: