pink yuma

evanscence

hi, i kept a pink yuma for abt 1 mth b4 it slowly melt away. It was doing fine when i put it directly under mh lights on the midsection of a 2 ft high tank until i start to move it around and it became stress. Understand from a few reefers here that their yumas also did not do well....Can any yumas guru advise on the difficulty involved in keeping pink yumas..it like and dislike.... :thanks:

• SRC Member
hi, i kept a pink yuma for abt 1 mth b4 it slowly melt away. It was doing fine when i put it directly under mh lights on the midsection of a 2 ft high tank until i start to move it around and it became stress. Understand from a few reefers here that their yumas also did not do well....Can any yumas guru advise on the difficulty involved in keeping pink yumas..it like and dislike.... :thanks:

thats very sad to hear.... i dun have one but i do hear alot... i mean ALOT of people telling me horror stories of pink yumas melting :nc: maybe since their so special they nid special care :P kidding...

maybe those who have kept pink yuma could share their succes stories :rolleyes: post pics and let me salivate :lol::lol::lol:

The reason that I feel is simple. They got too much light all of a sudden. In the wild, corallimorphs are found at quite a depth down. I have diver friends who said they have never seen a single corallimorph while diving. So you can imagine the depth in which they occur, which might explain the pricing. Or maybe they come from turbid waters unsuitable for diving, which means the light penetration is very weak. Unless the yuma has been propagated in captivity and is accustomed to bright lights, you should always work very carefully with wild collected specimens since they already have been severely stressed by shipping. I find that newly arrived specimens should be put under cloth filtered lights rather than intense MH. And also decrease the lighting period. The photoperiod in the sea is much different compared to captivity. 8-12 hrs of MH lighting in my opinion is already an overkill. Wild specimens don't get such long periods of intense light from the sun, and not to forget the occassional cloud cover. The kelvin temperature also plays a role, if a corallimorph was accustomed to 20,000K lighting in the wild, a sudden change to 6500K lights for example for the same photoperiod would most certainly kill it. The important thing is to give it the minimum lighting conditions needed for it to survive and to slowly increase it from there. Remember corallimorphs are not SPS.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

The reason that I feel is simple. They got too much light all of a sudden. In the wild, corallimorphs are found at quite a depth down. I have diver friends who said they have never seen a single corallimorph while diving. So you can imagine the depth in which they occur, which might explain the pricing. Or maybe they come from turbid waters unsuitable for diving, which means the light penetration is very weak. Unless the yuma has been propagated in captivity and is accustomed to bright lights, you should always work very carefully with wild collected specimens since they already have been severely stressed by shipping. I find that newly arrived specimens should be put under cloth filtered lights rather than intense MH. And also decrease the lighting period. The photoperiod in the sea is much different compared to captivity. 8-12 hrs of MH lighting in my opinion is already an overkill. Wild specimens don't get such long periods of intense light from the sun, and not to forget the occassional cloud cover. The kelvin temperature also plays a role, if a corallimorph was accustomed to 20,000K lighting in the wild, a sudden change to 6500K lights for example for the same photoperiod would most certainly kill it. The important thing is to give it the minimum lighting conditions needed for it to survive and to slowly increase it from there. Remember corallimorphs are not SPS.

bro fuel, a very detail assessment indeed...ok will keep this in mind if i get another pink yuma.... :thanks:

• SRC Member

hey bro fuel...no offense but if what you say is true, then such deaths of pink yumas shouldn't be jus restricted to pink ones but all colours as long as they come from deeper waters.

but what i find puzzling is i have come across 2 yuma keepers who treat their yumas in the same manner, meaning slow acclimitisation to their lights, placing them in the same part of the tank etc etc

but in the end, their normal ones like green and purple are doing fine but the pink ones just melt away and die for no reason

any ideas for why only the pink ones died?

• SRC Member

i had no problem keeping it under 150W in mid tank, it even grows bigger and split... but the problem is, the mother mussie shifted itself and planted its foot on a big rock (use to be on a small tonga branch) and when i started keeping SPS, i upgraded my lights to 250W, it start to bleach and shrink, there nothing i can do about it now, other than frag it. <_<

250W bleaches it ah...aiya...then i no hope of keeping it leaw. <_<

I have been keeping mine for 3 months.....if you keep it away from the main blast of the 250W MH...got chance to do well ;)

A pic to show location

post-71-1108900105.jpg

Wat DB said is true, try to put it away from 250W, mine is directly under the MH in mid tank level, .... the result :eyebrow: "BLEACHED" <_< , here is a pic taken some time back

Mine so far okie at the center front of the tank under 2x250W + 1x150W MH, expanding bigger as time goes by.

bro...i suggest before u commit yourself

buying any coral...please learn about them

first.....wat they like and dislike

save our coral ;)

thanks bro for the advise....i have kept lotsa of yumas b4...also i do read up on the abt pink yuma from this forum b4. however, i was taking it as a challenge to keep one successfully apparently i failed, :sick: well i will try again...hopefully this time arm with more knowledge...wish me luck bro :ph34r:

• SRC Member

thanks bro for the advise....i have kept lotsa of yumas b4...also i do read up on the abt pink yuma from this forum b4. however, i was taking it as a challenge to keep one successfully apparently i failed, :sick: well i will try again...hopefully this time arm with more knowledge...wish me luck bro :ph34r:

best of luck to you......hope to see success

:)

And share with us......thanx B)

• 1 month later...