Filters and light stand

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I owned a 4ft x2x2 tank currently.

Its a planted tank currently and I am considering changing it into a marine FOWLR tank.

Listed few things I would like to enquire,

1) Currently using only a Eheim professional external callister with "rubber" pipings, I would like to upgrade it to a more "professional look" PVC pipings at the back of the tank to hold two external callisters. Any idea how much it would cost? Any hobbists here provide such services?

2) I am using only FL and PL lights for my planted, and are considering to upgrade it to a pair of MH lights. I have problem getting "permit" from my "minister of home affairs" to hang the MH lights from the ceiling. Any idea where I can find these stands which I could hang the lights about 60cm away above water level?

3) My tank doesn't comes with a sump nor the required "cuttings and holes", is it advisable to be used for marine?

Appreciate your replies. :kiss:

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

bro,

welcome to the marine world

IMO if u wanna keep FOWLR, T5 will do. But if u still insist

on MH, u can get a bracket fix to the wall or customised

hood, in which u can mount in it. but i think hood will be better

coz it can "hide" u'r light.

although cannister can do the job but

marine tank is best with over flow and sump.

juz wanna share my experience with my ministry

of home affair. Use to nag at me for setting marine tank

but after seeing the beauty of it, encourage me to buy more

LS. :D

GOOD LUCK BRO

• SRC Member
bro,

welcome to the marine world

IMO if u wanna keep FOWLR, T5 will do. But if u still insist

on MH, u can get a bracket fix to the wall or customised

hood, in which u can mount in it. but i think hood will be better

coz it can "hide" u'r light.

although cannister can do the job but

marine tank is best with over flow and sump.

juz wanna share my experience with my ministry

of home affair. Use to nag at me for setting marine tank

but after seeing the beauty of it, encourage me to buy more

LS. :D

GOOD LUCK BRO

Hi bro,

Thanks for reply.

Just went IKEA today looking for ideas to hang the lamps without drilling the ceiling. Think quite hard to get a cheap stand, even building one shelf out of those DIY woods will cost me a few hundreds.

Happened to passed by those lighting shops today. Went in and check out their customised hanging MH pendant. Each pendant is about $160 and comes with E-ballast built in. They have 70W and 150W, are these suitable for marine?

Anyway, from I-Aquatic website, I saw these stands, any idea where I can get them?

itak_l07.gif

As for the sumps and overflow, I think will need to take sometime to convince her.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

my advise would be to forget abt the MH.. :lol:

seriosuly, you'd be wasting a whole lot of money and your minister soon would be kicking u out of the house! :lol::lol: if u want an MH, you would need a chiller if not... :eyeblur: then your bills would go skywards...

FOWLR u said? fishes do not need bright lights nor do they need a chiller.. less for some species that i don't believe you'll keep in the near future nor ever.. :P

go with what barnacle said... T5s are good... 2 white ones and 1 blue plus.. :yeah:

good luck in your startup dude! :angel:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

saw those similiar stand at IMM..

use for build in wardrobe for hanging clothes.. :)

but $$$$$.......

it got something like suction cap at each end

of the pole,

and secure it to ceiling and floor :eyeblur:

not sure if its strong to fix MH

• SRC Member
my advise would be to forget abt the MH..  :lol:

seriosuly, you'd be wasting a whole lot of money and your minister soon would be kicking u out of the house!  :lol:  :lol: if u want an MH, you would need a chiller if not...  :eyeblur: then your bills would go skywards...

FOWLR u said? fishes do not need bright lights nor do they need a chiller.. less for some species that i don't believe you'll keep in the near future nor ever..  :P

go with what barnacle said... T5s are good... 2 white ones and 1 blue plus..  :yeah:

good luck in your startup dude!  :angel:

After using FLs for my planted tank for the pass few years, I am rather unhappy with their short life span. I am not sure about T5 (guess I will read up about it 1st) but normal FL tends to go dimmer and dimmer after 6 months.

saw those similiar stand at IMM..

use for build in wardrobe for hanging clothes.. :)

but $$$$$.......

it got something like suction cap at each end

of the pole,

and secure it to ceiling and floor :eyeblur:

not sure if its strong to fix MH

Hi Barn,

I guess its the same thing I saw in IKEA the other day then. Need to drill the ceiling too I think. Thanks ;)

Cheers,

Goondoo

Regards,

Billy Cheong

• SRC Member
After using FLs for my planted tank for the pass few years, I am rather unhappy with their short life span. I am not sure about T5 (guess I will read up about it 1st) but normal FL tends to go dimmer and dimmer after 6 months.

btw, for my current planted tank using 4x36w FL and 4x36w PL, I ran 2 DC fan and 2 AC fan consecutively and are able to maintain the maximum temperature below 27 degrees. I really have no idea how much warmer MH is going to get but the MH pendants I saw is said to be running on E-ballast which is suppose to be cooler than my existing lights that are running on iron core ballast.

Anyone running MH lights without chiller kindly advise me here please? :)

Cheers,

Goondoo

Regards,

Billy Cheong