Electrical Questions

• SRC Member
Hi,

I'm an electrical nutcase here. Just have a few queries...

Is there a limit for a socket before overloading?

Overheating a problem?

I have a socket only near the fish tank... lights, chiller, skimmer, pumps etc...

thanks

yes, overloading is definitely a problem, be very careful with this. If your plug and wires feel warm(or even hot) when you touch it, then it is severely overloaded. This is potentially dangerous and should be avoided.

Whether you are overloading or not depends on the type of wire used(the wire's current rating), the type of fuses you have, and the current rating of your MCB(miniature circuit breaker).

If you are really lost with all these terms :D , one easy way is to always isolate the power hungry appliances, for example your chiller and your lighting(that is if you are using hundreds of watts of ligthing...)

• SRC Member

Hi,

One socket is only 13 amp, with 240 voltage supply, u get : 13 X 240 = 3120 Watt, so do not overshoot this limit for all the equipment, this apply to the main source of socket from the wall not the each of the multi socket that u add on.

Hope I'm right about this, anyone can second my theory? :D

• SRC Member
Hi,

One socket is only 13 amp, with 240 voltage supply, u get : 13 X 240 = 3120 Watt, so do not overshoot this limit for all the equipment, this apply to the main source of socket from the wall not the each of the multi socket that u add on.

Hope I'm right about this, anyone can second my theory? :D

hmm...well not exactly ;) . While the 3 pin plug is fitted with a 13A fuse (grossly overrated for it to provide any protection at all, imo), you have to take into consideration the current rating of your circuit breaker, wires etc.

Best bet is of course get a qualified electrician to check for you, the least you can do is at least isolate the high consumption appliances..eg. chiller, MH lights etc.

• SRC Member

hmm...well not exactly ;) . While the 3 pin plug is fitted with a 13A fuse (grossly overrated for it to provide any protection at all, imo), you have to take into consideration the current rating of your circuit breaker, wires etc.

Best bet is of course get a qualified electrician to check for you, the least you can do is at least isolate the high consumption appliances..eg. chiller, MH lights etc.

I remember vividly that the MCB current rating use for power sockets is 20A, lighting 6A and water heater 15A? Something like that :D its had been like 17 years back when I did my Electrical :lol:

Your fuse in your power plug should blow first before the MCB.

I remember my lecturer did mentioned that the danger normally wasn't the power/current ratings. It is the number of raw connections like plugs, extensions etc which are connect based on overlapping or touching. The brass and metals etc on the plugs and sockets of your circuits might oxidize over time and form a layer of insulation on the metals limiting the connectivity. The current will soon try to "hop" over the insulation, creating a spark which may result in a fire hazard. So the more raw connections you have, the higher the risk, and not forgetting adding on a multiplier to the risk factor if you are using those cheap power extension you buy in pasar malam using inferior metals. :evil:

Cheers,

Goondoo

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)