• Clown Tang
    • Powder Blue Tang
    • Powder Brown Tang
    • Blue Tang
    • Naso Tang
    • Kole Tang

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Another poll.. this time on eating tangs.. which tang is hardest to feed?

Please note that only vote for the fish that you actually tried. Or else if not, then AT will beat the rest hands down...lol :lol:

Also, if you actually got one of the listed fishes to eat, pls state what you used to make them eat?? (e.g. - Henry's food, garlicguard, nori..etc) Also please state whether you knew if they were already eating at the LFS..

Thanks all! (I have a feeling clown tang will have a good competition with AT!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • SRC Member

Achilles tang sounds like it is very hard to feed the founder of this club. :lol::lol::lol:

girlone.png

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Voted clown tang... Tried once and gave up... unless second one's colour is intense... :eyebrow:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

definately clown tang. although achilles tang also hard to feed, i find it more hardy than clown tangs. clown tangs are just difficult-er (if there is such a word)...tried one last time and it died.

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member
well i would say clown tang it is.. tried 2 times but cannot survive.. it always seems to be nipping on the rocks.. i thought they will eat.. but i guess not..

on my 2nd tried i got my clown tang feeding now even dare to challange x2 sohar ..

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member
  • 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

I think no Tangs can resist feasts of fresh algae. My tang and algae blenny go crazy when ever I dump in my "scrubber"'s netting. friends.gif

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• 7 months later...

Give them red bamboo, pellet and mysis to pump their fats. However, if there is a bully, the timid and shy one is unlikely to get that many food.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

can you put two tang together in a tank? cos one just die suddenly

I have some tangs living together....not much issue but of course there will be a "show of fins opening" to show who is the boss.

Currently have 1 naso, 1blue, 1 sailfin, 2 YT. Other bros here have even more types and some tang species are less tolerant to other tangs.

Normally, for newcomers, I will put it in a basket first, for it to recognise what is food (roasted seaweed/pellets etc). After feeding a few days, (maybe 3 days) release into tank. Then continue to replenish seaweed frequently, after a while become pui tang.

Red bamboo mentioned by Solo77 is a good idea too, since it is "natural food" from the sea.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

Contribute a bit here.

My 2 Yellow Tangs are still the 'King' of my tank.

But the Smaller Scopas Tang dares to challenge them at times.

All feeding well and easy from the start.

My Blue Tang is the 'PIG' of them all.... starts eating pellets from day 2..

Enough TaNGS in my Tank liao.. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Well this discussion can drag on for years,but still worth to follow.

Mind you for all fish that is hard to feed, lately we have frozen Cyclop-eeze .. Comes in various grades and is eager eaten even by fish we normally tend to say.. "I give you hardly any chance "..

Pure or " in the mix " all fish will eat it as soon as it is administered to the tank.....

Beside that crustaceans ( Lysmanta) but also Trimma like fish and even Mandarins !! LOVE IT...

After a few days they notice when the feeding frenzy will take place and get to the surface!!

Enjoy!!

For those new to the hobby Cyclop-eeze is NOT Cyclops !! But more related to Calanus finmarchius.

It is nowadays considered as a "must" for Reef Tanks . I use it on my Tubastrea aurea and others....Polyps extend enormous in NO TIME!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I bought a PBT on sat which just arrived in CF on dat day. I did not have a chance to see it feed as it only just arrived.

Now 3 days later, it has not begin to feed in my 2 foot QT tank. It showed no interest in garlic soaked pellets, nori, Henry's, frozen mysis/brine, flakes, shredded seaweed. Is it doomed? It ls a beautiful 5 inch specimen with no ich and getting only uv treated water. The QT tank is even strewn with small LR with algae growing from my ATS.

I just swims leisurely with regular gill beats, not shy, not stressed but not eating.

What else can I do to initiate a feedng response? How many days will a newly arrived PBT need before it decides to eat? What is the longest no of days you've experienced?

I have not tried red bamboo or frozen cyclopeeze yet. What do you think?

I'm frustrated and in despair... :unsure:

Update. Tried offering red bamboo. No interest as well. Moved him to a 4 ft LPS tank. Only other fish is a clown coris. Hope can get it to feed soon. Got a bottle of Sea-chem garlic guard to try out. The kent marine one didn't seem to attract its attention. <_<