14000K/10000K bulbs

Are you keeping SPS under your 250W 14kk and for how long and how's the results? Any photos?

i just got the MH ytd, no results to show yet. Not keeping sps at the moment, only soft corals and lps. Reason why i got the 250watt is so that in future if i wanna go into sps, no need invest again. And for the clams as well.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• Sponsor

10k bulbs are much superior in PAR compare to the 14k bulbs. What i feels that if u have a full sps tank, 10k bulbs are still the best. The intensity of the bulbs are stronger and brighter compare to the 14k bulb which tends to be dimmer. Im all the while a blv bulb user :lol:

but, a 14k bulb will be good for mix reef and deep tank. it do bring out the color of LPS and also helps in penetrating depth (esp those 2.5ft height) :lol:

there are good n bad for both bulbs :D

my 2 cents

no doubt that 10K is still better than 14K, i hv change from 14K to 10K 2-3months ago, sps colouration is obviously better.

Same experience here. I feel it is not so much of the spectrum but rather the weaker intensity from the 14kk bulbs.

My next tank would be probably running with 10k-20k-10k (250-400-250W).

• SRC Member

switching back to 10k blv seem to be the right move.....after 2-3 weeks SPS are coloring back up....:)

anyway, now seriously considering using 6.5k with 20k MH....but i understand that BLV doesn't have 6.5k for 250w SE....so any good brand that i can try here?