Zeovit & SPS

Achilles Tang

Today I heard of one person that dose 4 litres of zeolites with a high flow pump at full flow. Without finding out the proper dose needed and anyhow wack end up all the SPS suffer. Even when brown stuffs forming on the glass and LR still dose until so shiok :P

So end up zeovit kanna takes the blame when in the first place it is due to poor knowledge of that person. Dose shiok shiok but end up LS died :P

Why some pple succeed in zeovit and some pple fail?

Seems like some people don't like my comments but that is the fact. 200 gallon tank dose 4 litres of zeolite is way overdose. Like it or not that is the fact.

If so stylo then continue with 4 litres zeolite and continue to use rowaphos with zeovit running. Why is there a need to change?

Why why why? because that is wrong method? Wrong liao must admit wrong :blink:

Simple instruction from manufacturer must follow, that is not following the crowd but dose things properly.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I think the flow rate through the reactor is very important.

I used to have the reactor with aquabee pump at 2000l/h. way too high. Then i add ball valve on it and adjust the flow rate. Now seems like working. Overdosing is another problem. I find that overdose cause STN and some species even you stop dosing for a few days, cannot help either.

Some other factors also play important role, so cannot blame zeovit if some sps stn, maybe due to low lighting, flow, many factors. I just found out there is 1 species of sps is meant for deep water. so lighting cannot be extreme. will definitely burn the tissues. Gosh i put it under 400W no wonder it burn the tissues, Have adjusted lower and hope it can recover.

So better read up on every species requirement before placing. some need high flow strong lighting, so only moderate. so depends.

:)

Did my 8th change of zeolites yesterday.

Here's some comments from zeovit forum.

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154

From Aged Salt,

As I near the 1yr. mark on ZEOvit, it's crystal clear to me that this method allows amazing coral coloration & growth in a nutrient-poor environment.I had not achieved this on a long-term basis in the past. Yes, with my previous systems, my corals would thrive for a time, only to succumb to TN here & there--very frustrating to say the least. With ZEOvit, which is predictable day in & day out, this events are in the past. To my surprise with ZEOvit is the husbandry time I've saved yet with a beautiful-looking reef--just what I dreamed when I first decided to try the method. Also very pleasing, is the fact that this method costs less to run than my previous system of mulit-media canisters,[carbon/Purigen/Phosgard/RowaPhos/PolyFilters/etc]. I'm able to use less photo-period in my lighting with the low-nutrient, crystal clear waters produced my this method--much clearer than when 03 was used. But most importantly is the fact that my corals do not undergo TN events as previously. I no longer look around when the MH turn on, worried about coral health One other added bonus, is the fact that I can feed my fish more often, yet continue to have bright-colored SPS in nutrient-poor conditions. Bob

• SRC Member

Scroll,

Yes. I'm a believer of Zeovit too but be careful of dosage and flowrate. Post your questions on SRC and I'm sure many will help you get started.

Here's a quick guide from captiveoceans.com

Handle Zeovit with care. It's a double edged sword to success but the key word is believe and have patience, right Weileong? ;)

post-22-1116468959.jpg

It is possible but the effect won't be as good as running the full zeovit system.

If your system not in late stage 2 or stage 3 (low nutrient enviroment) you will find that you need to dose quite big amount for the zeospur2 to see some results and due to this you might stress the SPS too much to the point of STN/RTN. The SPS will darken again very soon after that if the nutrients level in your tank is not low.

Scroll,

Yes. I'm a believer of Zeovit too but be careful of dosage and flowrate. Post your questions on SRC and I'm sure many will help you get started.

Here's a quick guide from captiveoceans.com

Handle Zeovit with care. It's a double edged sword to success but the key word is believe and have patience, right Weileong? ;)

:thanks: for the chart Planetg , I hope nothing will go wrong if I do intend to start on the Zeovit. Thanks again guys will be asking more questions once I decide to go ahead.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

ok...

here is my chart of my start dose and my p04 figure...

I found a formula to it and it seem to be working for me.. and I expect either this week or by next week I will reach the stage of p04 0 or 0.01 (hope so cross finger)

and once I reach p04 0.01~ I will show you the power of zeovit to convert brown sps to color sps...

result.jpg:lol:

Started zeovit on 7th Sept 04 but only started to use the Hanna PO4 meter on 30th Nov 04.

Before that from 7th Sept to 30th Nov using salifert and showing colorless reading.

PO4 Trend (with hanna PO4 meter)

post-34-1119580332.jpg

Zeostart1 dosage (have not started using zeostart2 yet). Can see that the zeostart dosage needed is reduced as the nutrients level in the tank drop. Have stopped zeostart1 dosage since 21st June 05 and PO4 is now 0.00 (undetectable with Hanna PO4 meter), can officially say I am in zeovit stage 3 now (all pooled nutrients have be eliminated) and just the basic 3 is sufficient to keep nutrients low.

From what I can see from the last 10 months, zeovit does works, other things aside, it does help keep the water very clear (clearer than using Ozone), reduces and keeps the nutrients level low and brings out the colors of the SPS. Even pastel colored walt smith SPS are possible to be kept now.

Zeostart1 dosage. Dosage needed are reduced as the time goes by.

post-34-1119581363.jpg

My SPS tank photo as taken on 26th June.

Current fish load, 4 tangs (and other misc fishes), 2-3x feedings per day yet PO4 and NO3 remain undetectable without the use of ferric PO4 removal or letting my fish go on diet till they are paper thin.

The lower parts of the photos are dimmer because of my reflector, will be upgrading it soon so that every part of the tank will be evenly illuminated.

post-34-1119785466.jpg