Zeovit & SPS

Achilles Tang

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the impression that this Zeovit thing is only an additional expensive liability to your reef tank. There are other cheaper tried and proven methods to create SPS favourable conditions. I'd personally stick to DSB and other natural means too.

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

• SRC Member

I agree with Alentino. i have not tried zeovit ,but from what i have heard, i gather it is crap. First you pay more..lots more. Second, instead of making life any easier, you have to shake the darn reactor everyday; not to mention the careful dose of liquids which causes havoc if overdosed. Third, i think water quality is just one aspect of reef husbandry. Other factors like lighting blah blah blah.. makes a difference. So my argument is that you will never achieve perfection; and we never knew what is perfection. So just stick to basics and make reefing relaxing as well as enjoyable.

Success is never achieved by going to extremes in any one direction :D

• SRC Member

This zeovit system some love it to extreme , some hate it like ****

so no right no wrong about it ... I have see one reefer use zeovit

in a good cause .. then his sps were simply stunning without using

complication system ~~ or shall i said one of the most easy set up tank in

local yet produce the most stunning sps

So crap or not crap is up to how one see it

Maybe we can open a topic to discuss on using mud system

some reefers in overseas have being using it for their sps tanks

and great results were shown

• SRC Member

good stuff and does color up the SPS....but IMO, its like drugs....if you don't renew the media, you will see it brown up quite fast....for me about 8-10 weeks must change media already if not brown out occurs.....

as for the effort....hey what the heck.....you are into SPS!!! even bro using the more tradditional methods, clean and maintain their tanks everyday!!!! I have yet visited a bro who is into SPS and wasn't wipping his hand off some rags or doing some reef related things when i was there!

As you progress into stage 3, the zeo dosage required gets lesser and the change out period for the zeolites (rocks) can be extended up to 12 weeks.

If you have a proper reactor and know the proper technique to clean the zeolites then it is not difficult. They highly recommend daily cleaning for maximum effects but once a week is alright too.

Like andy said, to some pple zeovit is poisonous and they hate it to the core, from some of the post you can sense it :P

You ask me? then I tell you definately worth the effort. Undetectable NO3 and PO4 w/o using Rowaphos. No need to use the messy DSB that create so much problem.

If you read the guide on Zeovit properly, you would have know that they do not stress on water quality alone, they still recommend on low bioload, controlled feeding, sufficient lights and flow which are all basics of having a successful SPS reef tank.

For those that really overdose till their corals die, I think they do not even look at their corals at all. There are tell tale signs that you've overdose the zeo and yet if no corrective actions are taken to reduce the dose then surely the continued overdose will kill all those corals :P

• SRC Member

To Zeovit users, would really love to see photos of your tanks and SPS that you have. Would appreciate if more reefers using Zeovit post their tank pictures here for our viewing pleasure.

I have toyed with the Zeovit idea for some time but never had the guts to start it coz I haven't seen a tank pix here that can convince me that going down that route is worth the risk, other than bro weileong who has given us constant updates of his reef. (That's a nice looking reef BTW ;) ) That after hearing of corals STN and dying, the urge to cross the threshold to Zeovit, I feel, is too risky unless the end result is really, really worth it.

Unless more reefers here using Zeovit can show proof of the results, there will always be a misconception the Zeovit is all hoo ha and just adding work and cost to reefing. I, on the other hand, have personally known 2 reefers here who were into Zeovit and had since given up. Have seen one of the reefer's tank recently after stopping Zeovit for almost 2 months, I think, and I do see significant improvement to the coral health and colouration.

Something to ponder.......... :)

• SRC Member
as for the effort....hey what the heck.....you are into SPS!!! even bro using the more tradditional methods, clean and maintain their tanks everyday!!!! I have yet visited a bro who is into SPS and wasn't wipping his hand off some rags or doing some reef related things when i was there!

Actually, come to think of it you are so right there :P Reefers afraid of trouble should be collecting stamps and playing badminton right? :lol::lol:

I guess we just need more testimonies to justify the cost/cause ;) Anything revolutionary will definitely face jurisdiction.

Zeovit users- stick to what you believe and make a success of it!

No ill intention huh... :unsure:

• SRC Member

Actually, come to think of it you are so right there :P Reefers afraid of trouble should be collecting stamps and playing badminton right? :lol::lol:

I guess we just need more testimonies to justify the cost/cause ;) Anything revolutionary will definitely face jurisdiction.

Zeovit users- stick to what you believe and make a success of it!

No ill intention huh... :unsure:

Hey bro........what's wrong with playing badminton?? <_<<_<

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Ya...and what's wrong with collecting stamps too!!! Collecting stamps can be more troublesome man. Remember those days when people queue for hours to buy first day covers! Also must wear gloves and use pincers to handle the stamps! Very much like reefing leh. All siad, collecting stamp is not fun and I've stop this some decades ago!

scarab,

You mean you enjoy playing badminton? I always wonder if it is an important sport. If yes, then why Nike and Addidas don't produce badminton rackets? hee

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

I have been running on zeo since Nov 04. So thats about 5 months into the system. Nitrates and phosphates read zero. Hair algae growth still persists- might be due to live rock leaching PO, or perhaps carbon too. SPS maintaining itsc colour, some browned out stock have coloured up (slowly).

It has worked out well for me, far better than the dsb which saw a gradual climb in nitrates. Not too sure if the current success with zeovit would continue, as there is a lack of long term (i year?) trial / experience. I might shut the zeovit down after the first year, just to see if there is any impact to the system.

I agree with WL- effort is not so major. Just a few pumps now and then, give me something to do when I check out my skimmer and sump. Not critical if I miss it now and then when I am not in the mood. Cost is a bit prohibitive in the beginning- zeovit, zeofood, zeobac, plus reactor. But after the start up phase, its pretty ok as the rocks last me a few months now.

But I am not sure if this is right- I dont dump my old zeovit. I store them in a large mesh bag that I lift up and shake once a week. In this way, I avoid the massive loading of zeobac with the new zeovit replendishment. I just run as per normal. It has worked ok so far, except the PO thingy.

• SRC Member
Ya...and what's wrong with collecting stamps too!!! Collecting stamps can be more troublesome man. Remember those days when people queue for hours to buy first day covers! Also must wear gloves and use pincers to handle the stamps! Very much like reefing leh. All siad, collecting stamp is not fun and I've stop this some decades ago!

scarab,

You mean you enjoy playing badminton? I always wonder if it is an important sport. If yes, then why Nike and Addidas don't produce badminton rackets? hee

Sorry off topics :off:

Chris........

Why must nike and adidas produce a racket ?

they are in the appararel industries not sports equipment industry.

It is not because badminton is not an important game that you assoaciate it with Apparels maker like nike or adidas.

Look at nike trying to make a golf irons set and sponsor tiger woods to use it.

The equipment make his carreer down the drain. It tooks very long for him to adapt to the Nike equipment. And not many golf player are using Nike.

Imagine if Nike make a tennis racket or badmindton racket, everyone might miss their shot, I mean the player using them. :P

Tennis is such an important game too but have you heard a nike tennis racket ?

Just my comment. ;)

• SRC Member
I have been running on zeo since Nov 04. So thats about 5 months into the system. Nitrates and phosphates read zero. Hair algae growth still persists- might be due to live rock leaching PO, or perhaps carbon too. SPS maintaining itsc colour, some browned out stock have coloured up (slowly).

It has worked out well for me, far better than the dsb which saw a gradual climb in nitrates. Not too sure if the current success with zeovit would continue, as there is a lack of long term (i year?) trial / experience. I might shut the zeovit down after the first year, just to see if there is any impact to the system.

I agree with WL- effort is not so major. Just a few pumps now and then, give me something to do when I check out my skimmer and sump. Not critical if I miss it now and then when I am not in the mood. Cost is a bit prohibitive in the beginning- zeovit, zeofood, zeobac, plus reactor. But after the start up phase, its pretty ok as the rocks last me a few months now.

But I am not sure if this is right- I dont dump my old zeovit. I store them in a large mesh bag that I lift up and shake once a week. In this way, I avoid the massive loading of zeobac with the new zeovit replendishment. I just run as per normal. It has worked ok so far, except the PO thingy.

Any tank pix bro?? :)

I was thinking about this, For a matured tank, the zeovit will slowly kick in and the SPS growth and coloring only starts in late stage 2 (which takes anything from a few months or longer after starting zeovit, if you have a DSB then it takes much longer) onwards when most of the stored nutrients are exhausted. This can be seen by the lowered dosage of zeo addictives that is required.

In this case probably if we start off a new bare bottom tank with low bioload, over skimming with big skimmer tuned to wet skimmate and following the basic maintenance routine like weekly water changes, keeping parameters close of NSW levels.

Keeping the tank clean and no accumulated waste to break down, will we be able to achieve a low nutrient enviroment? The answer is probably yes.

So probably what I am going to do is to tear my current tank down and restart with a BB one in a few months time when my work schedule is not so tight :P Will only have my AT and those drawf angels in the tank. Using 400W 6.5kk saki + 2x250W BLV 20kk. Isn't it a good idea?

actually from a bystander who has no sps or zeovit system...this is how i view it...

the zeovit system is like the aftermarket performance parts/kits for cars.....all the gadgets and stuff that boost the performance of the car (tank).....

and as you can see...there are quite a number of car performance modding enthusiasts around (legal or not is another matter :lol: )

Some traditional drivers (reefers) prefer to hone their basic skills with their cars (tanks) without meddling in after market performance parts (like zeovit)....and boy can they fly and win races even without engaging in such gadgetry...

While others who like modding and meddling with gadget (zeovit users), spend time and money getting to know the intricate details and aspects on how each part can boost his car's stock performance.....

and then while there are those who excel in their knowledge and application of such gadgets that boost their cars performance, there are those that anyhow anyhow fit this and that gadget ...dun fit according to instructions..so on....and end up blowing their cars (tanks/sps) and end up blaming the gadgets (zeovit)...

That is why, there are zeovit users who excel in it...just as there are those who fail miserably in it.

and comes to the next question.....

Will a traditional non-mod racer who spends his time on his stock car do better or worse than a mod-happy racer who spends his time trying and learning what aftermarket gadgets can do to improve his car.....it is always a race out there..... :lol:

And actually again from a bystander's point of view......

from the way i see it now....zeovit system is still in its budding stage....more so locally when local reefers have not fully grasped or harness the full potential of the system, if any. So i think it is too premature to pass a death judgement on whether zeovit is a waste of time or not.....

if there are benefits that this method could render, probably it would be for the greater good in the future of this hobby for those who are into the method esp the pioneers/manufacturer of this method to keep and enhance the benefits while reducing or ultimately do away with the minus points. Every product has to go through stages of evolution and to nip it in the bud would be a waste even for a non-zeovit user like me who definitely would like to see alternative methods around even if i am not or even never use it.

if everyone had felt that the only bloke who said earth was round was wasting his time trying to convince everyone when everyone's consensus was that it was flat, imagine how different our understanding of the earth would be and subsequent impacting consequences.

It is true, those who are into the stock cars and spend time knowing and understanding their stock cars real well are probably ahead or way ahead of those who are modding, and they can afford to stop by on the race track, have a snigger at the blown up and smokin modded cars that can't even finish the race despite all the gadgetry stickers pasted all over the cars like ko yok (plasters :lol: ) and make statements like.....

"wait till you can finish the race before you come and talk" or

" i am there already (near the finishing line)....are you? "

But when the technology and knowledge is mature enough, it will be easy to see why heavily modded Lemans GTRs will blaze past their street version GT cousins with no effort.

Whether zeovit method is useful or waste of time....let it blossom naturally or let it die its own natural death without us passing a death sentence on it ;)

• SRC Member
from the way i see it now....zeovit system is still in its budding stage....more so locally when local reefers have not fully grasped or harness the full potential of the system, if any. So i think it is too premature to pass a death judgement on whether zeovit is a waste of time or not.....

yeah....i have definately not untilized and harness the full potential of the system. I have personally overdoes Zoevit on 2 occassion. beause i want too green to realized the effect it was having on my SPS, i let it reach a level that kills some of my most precicous SPS....

but in my opinion, there is not denial of the potential of zeovit. I have gotten brown moti that colors up to purple all within 2 weeks....for me, i think Zeovit is a system that works.....but like a knife it cuts both ways....so have to becareful how you use it.....I'm definately going to continue with the zeovit thingy....hopefully i 1 year later would have the opportunateliy to 'show-off' my tank pics here..... :D

That is why for those who are not into zeovit and already doing well without it....thumbs up to you guys as you have shown that no need to resort to such gadgetry to do well :bow:

And for those into zeovit, keep your chins up....since it has shown promise in your systems, learn to harness the immense potential that could either make or break your system and in time you could probably be better off with it than without it :)

and for people like me, it is always interesting to stand by the side to watch the action, progress and alternatives to this hobby :D