Which is the best choice of MH combination

Hi~

I have plan to install a new tank in my house.

and Now I have a 100 net gallon of SPS tank and am using a BLV in Center

2 AC 14K bulb in both side. All bulbs are DE(250w) and use PFO mini pendant.

I read thread about blv named "14000K/10000K bulbs (Pages 1 2 )"

I love BLV and look of AC but I am a little suspicious whether AC is good...

so I am not sure which is the best choice about MH in my future tank..

Here is what I am thinking.

1. BLV10K(1ea)+20K bulb(2ea)

2. BLV10K(2ea)+20K bulb(1ea)

3. BLV10K(1ea)+14K AC or phoenix(2ea)

4. BLV10K(2ea)+14K AC or phoenix(1ea)

5. BLV10K(2ea)+VHO super actinic

6. BLV10K(2ea)+T5 super actinic

which is the best choice I can use?

:thanks:

Thanks for reply~

If I install T5 bulb, How many should I have?

and the height of T5 installation is the same as that of pendant?

Cause if I install the T5 close to water surface, is there any possibility that MH light are

interfered by T5 kits? Should I make canopy for them?

wow..there's so many questions...so sorry.. :heh:

How about 250w 20K (center) + BLV 250w (both side) or

400w 20K (center) + BLV 250w (both side) ?

Does it look like yellow?

If I choose, I should buy the T5 sets in addition. I have 3 pendants, so I wanna

install only MH as possible as I can...

How about your opinion?

Only T5 supplement is the best way?

:eyebrow:

• SRC Member

If you are only using MH, my opinion is 400W 20k centre and 250W 10k both sides. Might still be a bit yellow though. You might need maybe 4 T5, 2 in front 2 at the back. Change the T5 bulbs to 1 blue and 1 white if it's too blue with all blue T5s.

I place my T5s the same height as my MH, using 54W T5s so intensity better than the 3ft or 2 ft version. I have no canopy, pendant MH with 3x250W BLV 10k and DIY T5s sets front and back.

• SRC Member

Give the choice, i would still stick to 6.5k in the middle and 20k on both side. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

If you are only using MH, my opinion is 400W 20k centre and 250W 10k both sides. Might still be a bit yellow though. You might need maybe 4 T5, 2 in front 2 at the back. Change the T5 bulbs to 1 blue and 1 white if it's too blue with all blue T5s.

I place my T5s the same height as my MH, using 54W T5s so intensity better than the 3ft or 2 ft version. I have no canopy, pendant MH with 3x250W BLV 10k and DIY T5s sets front and back.

wow~ thanks..

Do you have a pic about your Pendant and T5 combination?

Could you show me the pic?

• SRC Member

was this your old setup????? quite like your old lighting arrangements.....was thinking for following..... :paiseh:

yup....tats my old setup config. If can...will probably squeeze in 3 again for my new tank. :P

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

At the moment i have 2 x 250w BLV 10000K at either end and a hamilton 250W 14000K in the middle supplimented with 2 x 54wT5's Aquaz actinics.

I have also used Phoenix(AC) in the middle. These combo's work ok, but i have to lower the middle pendant to compensate for the lower PAR

If i use 3 x 10000K, then the 2 T5's are not enough to hide the yellow tint, as yet i have not found a way to fit extra T5's

So if you can fit 4 T5's, 2 infront and 2 behind then go with 3 x 10000k's if not then the 2 x 10000k and 1 x 14000k in the middle works.

• SRC Member

sorry . typo.

I mean very hard to feed .... as the light blocking the whole tank .

When feeding move the T5 aside to create a gap lor. Then can feed already. When you need to put your hand in the tank, lift up the T5 and put it aside. I prefer to have more space for light than to worry about whether can feed or not coz you don't need to feed continuously but continuous light will definitely benefit your coral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...