Breeding Pygmy Angels

lizard44

calling all PYGMY ANGEL LOVERS ...

i cannot take it anymore ...

let's not sit on our laurels and drool ...

here's my business proposal:

RESPLENDENT PYGMY ANGEL Breeding ...

background: i have the great pleasure of meeting bros neokn and Dispar_Anthias. they told me the price of one resplendent angel. wow ... US$899.99 retail in USA. they have successfully tank bred the fishy, so it is also possible for us too ...

since i am new to the marine hobby, i may not be the best guy to start a species tank to breed resplendents, although i really don't mind doing it. but, for the sake of better success, i may have to pass up this honour though.

profitability: I*** has already successfully brought up more batches of clowns and cardinals. i believe collectively we have the technical know-how to breed respendent. even if we were to make mistakes, the mistakes may be shared by many of us here.

based on the retail price tag of US$899.99, it is superior to breeding sea-horses (my old old challenging idea), but people here can get a sea-horse for $10 per piece. what a waste of time and resources. i meant no offence to sea-horse lovers. i sincerely believe the level of difficulty is way-beyond any serious reefer can bear. if ever successful, it is REAL FEATHER in the hat. coupled with the fact that our dear gahmen is also working towards the same goal. let's not try the sea-horsey.

i would like to formally invite bros chinmo and low to join us in this noble path ... :bow: :bow: :bow:

resplendents therefore look surmountable .... :):upsidedown:

although this idea is not totally commercial in nature ..., if successful in the maiden batches, we can either sell off to a big establishment like thousand lakes or others.

approach: just my idea ... it may be improved ...

one of the participating reefers will offer a species tank. he will get 3x shares. he will run the tank and pay the PUB and makan bills :)

every one of the participating reefers will each pay for and buy one replendent and be counted as 1x share. you can also buy more :D

conclusion: the deal closes upon the third successful batch. the spoilts are divided as per the shares.

sale: SRC members will get stolen goods prices :D and the rest sold to whoever wants the fishy or export to japan or hk.

:thanks:

lizard

calling all PYGMY ANGEL LOVERS ...

i cannot take it anymore ...

let's not sit on our laurels and drool ...

here's my business proposal:

RESPLENDENT PYGMY ANGEL Breeding ...

background: i have the great pleasure of meeting bros neokn and Dispar_Anthias. they told me the price of one resplendent angel. wow ... US$899.99 retail in USA. they have successfully tank bred the fishy, so it is also possible for us too ...

since i am new to the marine hobby, i may not be the best guy to start a species tank to breed resplendents, although i really don't mind doing it. but, for the sake of better success, i may have to pass up this honour though.

profitability: I*** has already successfully brought up more batches of clowns and cardinals. i believe collectively we have the technical know-how to breed respendent. even if we were to make mistakes, the mistakes may be shared by many of us here.

based on the retail price tag of US$899.99, it is superior to breeding sea-horses (my old old challenging idea), but people here can get a sea-horse for $10 per piece. what a waste of time and resources. i meant no offence to sea-horse lovers. i sincerely believe the level of difficulty is way-beyond any serious reefer can bear. if ever successful, it is REAL FEATHER in the hat. coupled with the fact that our dear gahmen is also working towards the same goal. let's not try the sea-horsey.

i would like to formally invite bros chinmo and low to join us in this noble path ... :bow: :bow: :bow:

resplendents therefore look surmountable .... :):upsidedown:

although this idea is not totally commercial in nature ..., if successful in the maiden batches, we can either sell off to a big establishment like thousand lakes or others.

approach: just my idea ... it may be improved ...

one of the participating reefers will offer a species tank. he will get 3x shares. he will run the tank and pay the PUB and makan bills :)

every one of the participating reefers will each pay for and buy one replendent and be counted as 1x share. you can also buy more :D

conclusion: the deal closes upon the third successful batch. the spoilts are divided as per the shares.

sale: SRC members will get stolen goods prices :D and the rest sold to whoever wants the fishy or export to japan or hk.

lizard

I think better give up idea.. Bro.. risk too high..... and breeding is not an easy task especially for dwarfys ;);) ... oh ya and you need to get a harem just to make sure theres hopefully one pair..... Oh ya i dun think ppl can actually willing to buy resplendent lah to keep in someone's tank.. no joke...... If that particular piece belong to that someone die how??

Anyway if you guys still wana try... den go for it.... need supplier?? I have them ;);)

hi bro DA

please don't pour water so fast. :paiseh:

this is a small flame. can die off one ...

i think the risk is not too great ... judging from the feedback ... it seems we have problem only in bringing up their youngs rather than adult fish dying ...

this is what i call collective wisdom and sharing ... once the fishy is purchased it belongs to the general pool of fishy, no direct ownership. unless the fellowship of the ring is folded, then we need to share the spoilts ....:(

i suggest a 4x or 6x fishes commitment before we even think of starting ...

lizard

hi bro DA

i think the risk is not too great ... judging from the feedback ... it seems we have problem only in bringing up their youngs rather than adult fish dying ...

this is what i call collective wisdom and sharing ... once the fishy is purchased it belongs to the general pool of fishy, no direct ownership. unless the fellowship of the ring is folded, then we need to share the spoilts ....:(

lizard

Hmm so you got some feedback that resplendent is easy to keep..... probably so as compared to other danger... But DOA has very high chance of taking place cos as you know resplendent is only found in the coastal reef of tiny ascension island which is very far... Thus journey is very long and there maybe a change the fish is gone b4 it reach here... so if you guys order in bulk and a few din make it how??

Hmm with such price tag, i think very hard to find kakis :lol::lol::lol: espeically when you are looking for ard 6.... I love this fish but will nv have $$ to own one at this moment :lol::lol:

but again.. if you guys really want to bring them in and need a supplier for this fish.. let me know ;)

• SRC Member
hi bro DA

lizard

tell u wat....

U buy the fishes and i will provide the species tank, run the tank, pay the pub bills generated by the tank, pay the makan for the fish....bla bla bla. All the abv services FOC and i nd nt get wat 3X shares too. But fish die nt my prob! :blink::whistle

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

tell u wat....

U buy the fishes and i will provide the species tank, run the tank, pay the pub bills generated by the tank, pay the makan for the fish....bla bla bla. All the abv services FOC and i nd nt get wat 3X shares too. But fish die nt my prob! :blink::whistle

Yup if the fishes suffer from disease like ich and wipe out how??? effort money and time gone..... den partner also hard to tok to each other ;)

hi bros DA and jd_n

DOA is an issue to be settled with the importer. it should not formed as part of this deal. at most we have to discuss either paying insurance or some form of guarantee from the exporter. i am sure if there is a will, there is a way ... as long as we are willing to think through collectively, we should be wiser .... i hope. worst case, ask CF to import loh ... and ask them to deliver alive fishy :)

i hope i am talking sense here ... anything less than S$10k collectively is not a problem :D

the responsibility of the species tank provider must be generally accepted by the fellowship and if any deaths, we can't blame the poor guy. it is just a hobby-plus-plus.

we blew more money in gambling, drinking, stocks lah .... :paiseh:

lizard

• SRC Member

Yup if the fishes suffer from disease like ich and wipe out how??? effort money and time gone..... den partner also hard to tok to each other ;)

precisely ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

if still not enough kakis, we can try to rope-in LFS lah ... many options.

so really i don't think, there is any problem. except whether we are going to have fun doing it ...

OR

i can help the group by writing a white paper and ask for funding also can ... nowadays gahmen also quite easy in approving rubbish ... but, asking for S$10k looks terribly miserable ... leh

OR

maybe i can also ask my boss at POPULAR whether they want to try investing in such an idea ...

OR

many many other ways .... collective wisdom i hope ...

:yeah:

lizard

Hi Lizard44,

Maybe you will like to try the below link. ;)

http://www.ava.gov.sg/javascript/m4-option8.html

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

yea.. i dont think its so easy to get us to lump up a huge sump of money just for breeding resplendant though it is a beautiful fish. there are simply too much factors involved and many risks.. i guess many reefers here are simply playing a hobbyist part and not wanting to get into become a dealer ourself..

in addition, the problem of fishes getting ich, stress, dying after a few months are all risks factor..

A link I just posed on aquaculture

It might seem tempting to breed certain species for profitability. However, it is not an easy accomplishment. You don't see countries like Japan undertaking breeding of such species yet do you? Such ideas have issues that need to be tackled from the basics.

To breed most marine organisms, you'll have to be familiar with the basics like microalgae culture, live feed enrichment, usage of hormones to induce spawning, collection of fertilized eggs and removal of unfertilized ones, proper hatching protocols like temperature, salinity. Knowledge of larvae development phases (Eg. the mouth-opening phase, swim-bladder inflation), larvae development tanks, appropriate shading to prevent light confusion for larvae. You'll need lab equipment like microscopes, sedgewick counters and a continuous source of seawater that has been filtered down to the last micron and UV-treated.

Such projects of breeding marine ornamentals usually work on economies of scale. There's no point in breeding a small amount and the affordability of bred animals are still ridiculously high, maybe even higher than wild caught individuals if not done on a scale large enough. $10,000 to set up a hatchery just for breeding pygmy angelfish is not enough. I doubt it will even be enough for equipment like autoclaves, etc.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

hi bro Gouldian

:thanks: a zillion for the link ... i will try to talk to them and see if there is a grant ...

actually i don't mind staffing a paper to ask for a grant from the government. but, first we may need to get a LFS to sponsor, otherwise we wouldn't look good. maybe we could try a smallish sum of say, $50,000 grant. but, if we wanted that, we might again have a problem. such grants are normally given only on a one-to-one basis, i.e., for every dollar put in by the gahmen, we have to show a dollar spent (cold hard cash) on our side. :(

i am a king writer for requesting such grants. pssst ... even a big drink shop got a couple of hundred thousand because of my contribution ... :eyebrow:

nevertheless, a good avenue after we have shown some progress ... (stage two i guess)

hi bros veliferium and prec

that's what i enjoy about collective wisdom ...

yes. indeed a superb idea to start small. we must first try our hands on cheap fishy and then we grow to more expensive ones. if that is the case, we will need to pay the reefer for his species tank, PUB, makan, effort and patience.

i don't mind coming out with 10 flamey or argi .... for a start. as i said, i am very new in the game, so i am not so qualified to hold the species tank. i don't mind once i am stronger ...

hi bro FuEL

wow ... so serious. this is just a hobby ... :D

even a ranchu costed several ten of thousands to the keen japanese eyes.

right now, fresh water is the darling, as not many are in the marine hobby.

so to buy fresh water aro at several thousands of dollars is common even in singapore.

so in time to come, marine will be the next darling.

people will not care about the plain jane flamey but rather will cheong for its hybrids ...

just one thing curious ...

so far, US has solved the resplendent breeding but not the rest, shouldn't we try it too :D

how about multi-color or gold flake? :bow:

lizard